PDA

View Full Version : Alpine 60x4 deck is getting clipped...is this a common problem with these decks?

snb778
02-05-2006, 01:41 PM
Well for the last year and a half I have had a problem with my speakers getting clipped when I turn the volume up loud. We have checked every component in my system...re-ran wires, checked all channels on the amp...returned the amp 2 times......

thennnnn someone tells me that the Alpine 60x4's it is a common problem for them to clip unless you wire it up with the power wire going right to the power wire for the system or directly to the battery.

Can anyone else confirm this, or had this problem?

JimJ
02-05-2006, 01:42 PM
That "60x4" is meaningless - you are aware of that, correct?

Run a proper external amplifier and that problem will disappear.

iceteebone
02-05-2006, 01:45 PM
almost anything will clip when turned up too high

alphakenny1
02-05-2006, 01:56 PM
yea come on now, if you turn up the volume too high it will eventually clip.

snb778
02-05-2006, 02:01 PM
no no no...i have an external amplifier. I have just heard that specifically the 60x4 alpine decks have had that problem...wher eyou have to hook up the power from the radio directly to the battery because they dont get enough power if you do it the normal way...

Here is what happens....

I have 2 components in my front doors and kicks ok....when i turn one channel on the amp to normal gain...and the other channel to normal gain....they cut out with the radio on like 22-25...I turn the channel 2 gain DOWN and leave channel 1 higher...they all stay on. When I reverse the situation...turn channel 1 down and channel 2 UP...they cut out still.....

SO it seems like there is something wrong with the channel 2, but ive had 2 new amps sent to me because i keep blaming the problem on the amp...when it doesnt seem to be the amp.

So right now I have channel 1 normal, and channel 2 down and they are fine for now, but I want to fix the problem...because this is the main reason why my interior isnt as loud as I want it to be.

Red Rocket
02-05-2006, 02:36 PM
I was trying to find the article where I read this but I remember reading that Crutchfield and Alpine recommended doing the direct connection to the battery to get the best out of the unit. You have an external amp but I don't see why it couldn't hurt.

snb778
02-05-2006, 02:39 PM
yea...once i get my new car thats how im going to hook it up...and hopefully the clipping goes away, and I get the sound out of these that I KNOWWWWW they can deliver. My buddy had 2 of them in his RSX with about a 150db daily system id say...and they still shiiined in his car. I know some of it has to do with the car...but it just sounded A LOT better than my setup right now...and once again, id say some of it has to do with the amp... my 4 channel kicker, or his 4 channel RF bd series.. little more of an SQ amp.

JimJ
02-05-2006, 02:44 PM
Unless you're running the deck up close to the maximum volume setting, you shouldn't have problems with clipping.

The "60x4" doesn't matter because you're not using the internal amplifier.

Ctminime
02-05-2006, 02:46 PM
even if u are using an external amp for this alpine the "60x4" means nothing because that is the rating on the internal amplifier for the speakers when not using an external amp.... so either way that 60x4 means nothing i would adjust your amp so the volume on the cd player dosent have to go as high for you to get the desired output... its possible the deck is clipping it.... adjust your amps louder so its as lound as u wan it on Say volume 23 or 24... stay away from that alpine maximum 35 if u can..

alpine3612
02-05-2006, 02:48 PM
yea you would think the only reason they reccomend using that wire to the battery is because of the internal amp. If your not using it, i woudnt think you would need the wire. Another thing i would check, make sure you have the internal amp turned off on the alpine.

SuperJETT
02-05-2006, 03:19 PM
Are you using the preamp output or speaker outputs to hook up the external amplifier?

snb778
02-05-2006, 04:08 PM
yea you would think the only reason they reccomend using that wire to the battery is because of the internal amp. If your not using it, i woudnt think you would need the wire. Another thing i would check, make sure you have the internal amp turned off on the alpine.

How do you turn off the external amplifier??

"even if u are using an external amp for this alpine the "60x4" means nothing because that is the rating on the internal amplifier for the speakers when not using an external amp.... so either way that 60x4 means nothing i would adjust your amp so the volume on the cd player dosent have to go as high for you to get the desired output... its possible the deck is clipping it.... adjust your amps louder so its as lound as u wan it on Say volume 23 or 24... stay away from that alpine maximum 35 if u can.."

I just said the "60x4" because I was told the Alpine decks that are 60x4 ( i dunno if thats all of them or not) had this problem.

I have adjusted my radio so that my max I want to turn it up to is 25/35...so that part is fine...its once I hit like 24-25 they cut out, unless I turn down the channel 2 gain on the amp......but once I turn channel 2 up and put channel 1 on low gain...they still clip...as if its something wrong with channel 2, or one of the components being powered by channel 2..but its not. we (my installer and I) are at a loss..

60_cent
02-06-2006, 05:33 PM
that is not rms power, I think rms is around 26 watts..

dimond
02-07-2006, 08:55 PM
the "60x4" power deck ur reffering to is probably the 9815. it does 26x4.
check ur crossovers, HPF, gains. Pretty sure its either one of those that are not set correctly.

snb778
02-07-2006, 08:58 PM
i dont have the 9815, BUT...someone said there is a way to turn off the internal amplifier on them...anyone know how to do that?

Prowler573
02-07-2006, 09:23 PM
Which specific Alpine do you have? (there was more than one model with that alleged 60w X 4 internal amp)

Chevyaudio
02-07-2006, 09:24 PM
Yeah, tell us what deck you have and we can walk you through step by step on how to turn the amplifier off.

snb778
02-07-2006, 09:30 PM
hahaaaa, its old but...7876. Still in perfect condition though....not a button worn on it...not one.

mikegett
02-08-2006, 09:57 AM
Turning off the internal amp won't help your preouts. As long as you don't have a speaker hooked to your internal amp, it won't pull any current. Turn up the HU as high as you want, there is no load on it.
Clipping on a HU is caused by a variety of conditions. For starters, all internal amps will clip. Some HU's limit the volume prior to the normal clipping. In most casses, a HU will clip at about 85-90 percent volume. If your HU maxes out at 35, then 22-25 sounds about right for clipping. If you have any loud or bass boost (above 0) turned on then it will clip prior to this. Some HU's are known to clip at around 40 percent with bass boost on. It all deepends on how much boost that particular HU applies to lower frequencies. The first thing I suggest you do, is check where your HU clips. In order to find this, download a clipped and unclipped sign wave. I am pretty sure there is a link in the setting gains tutorial. You want to hook up one speaker (I suggest a poor OEM) to one of the amps. Turn off all loud and bass boost. Ensure any crossovers are off as well. Turn the amps gain all the way down. Turn on the HU and play the clipped sine wave. Raise the volume till you hear it clip or distort. That will be the normal clipping range for your HU. Now repeat the proceedure with your normal loud or bass boost on. Record your clipping points and set your gains below this point.
In all honesty, I speculate if you are realy hearing clipping. You stated that your channel cuts out with gains high. Explain what is happening in detail. Do you hear distortion or do you loose all volume? Clipping is distortion. If your channel is literaly cutting out then there is another problem. Cutting out could be related to your amps max voltage input. In most casses, the amp will induce hissing if your voltage is too high. In some cases it will send your amp into a protection mode. Check to ensure your amp is still on and all lights are normal.