PDA

View Full Version : Whats so good about Alpine anyways?

lil azn 06
02-04-2006, 12:59 AM
After reading many posts and threads about how Alpines have weak (most 2, higher end 4v) preoutputs, why are they still so highly praised? Especially as a SQ unit?

Jdizzle
02-04-2006, 01:01 AM
because of its features

JLCivic
02-04-2006, 09:30 AM
I honestly think Alpine is living more off the "name" than actual performance in recent years....not saying they are complete junk, just not living up to the legendary name.

budahbuddy803
02-04-2006, 10:35 AM
I own the pioneer deh-p7700 and i love it! it has very good features and you can tune your speakers and subwoofers pretty good with some of their head units. although most of their base models are not very good their higher class of head units are very well put together. not sayin they are the best not saying they are the worst but i would recomend them to most anyone. kenwood has some very nice head units also!

Alpineinstaller
02-04-2006, 10:43 AM
I own the pioneer deh-p7700 and i love it! it has very good features and you can tune your speakers and subwoofers pretty good with some of their head units. although most of their base models are not very good their higher class of head units are very well put together. not sayin they are the best not saying they are the worst but i would recomend them to most anyone. kenwood has some very nice head units also!

He was asking about alpine....:crap:

Ayrton
02-04-2006, 12:09 PM
Alpine is total junk....I recommend you go with Dual.

JimJ
02-04-2006, 12:15 PM
After reading many posts and threads about how Alpines have weak (most 2, higher end 4v) preoutputs, why are they still so highly praised? Especially as a SQ unit?

...Because preout voltage doesn't affect SQ?

DaveVT
02-04-2006, 12:40 PM

:thumbsdo: :thumbsdo: :thumbsdo: :thumbsdo:

JimJ
02-04-2006, 12:41 PM
Sarcasm? :D

adam71
02-04-2006, 12:43 PM
:thumbsdo: :thumbsdo: :thumbsdo: :thumbsdo:

You know he was being sarcastic right??

Edit: Jim beat me to it.:p:

adam71
02-04-2006, 12:45 PM

Don't you use an Alpine in your system?

Prowler573
02-04-2006, 12:49 PM
After reading many posts and threads about how Alpines have weak (most 2, higher end 4v) preoutputs
Like already stated preout voltage has nothing to do with SQ. At the end of the day high voltage preouts are not much more than a marketing gimmick.

why are they still so highly praised? Especially as a SQ unit?
Umm.....superior sound shaping than other units? Source-accurate reproduction? Capability of running/controlling a fairly involved setup? There are a myriad of reasons why Alpine continues to be a big player in the car audio game...

adam71
02-04-2006, 12:52 PM
Like already stated preout voltage has nothing to do with SQ. At the end of the day high voltage preouts are not much more than a marketing gimmick.

While I agree they aren't the end all be all of a SQ deck I wouldn't go as far as saying its just a marketing gimmick. They do have an actual purpose. If you're running older or cheaper amps and you turn the gain way up on them they'll put out some noise. But if you have a hi-volt deck this will NOT happen since you can keep the gains down.

Prowler573
02-04-2006, 12:55 PM
While I agree they aren't the end all be all of a SQ deck I wouldn't go as far as saying its just a marketing gimmick. They do have an actual purpose. If you're running older or cheaper amps and you turn the gain way up on them they'll put out some noise. But if you have a hi-volt deck this will NOT happen since you can keep the gains down.

Some older or cheaper amps can potentially be damaged by a really high-volt input.....so that advantage is minimal, at best.

adam71
02-04-2006, 01:12 PM
Some older or cheaper amps can potentially be damaged by a really high-volt input.....so that advantage is minimal, at best.

Yes, but we're already assuming you would be using an amp that could accept a hi-volt inuput. Of course you wouldn't put a hi-volt preout on an amp with a low input sensitivity. That would be like 500x2 watt amp to run some components. Its already understood you wouldn't do that.:)

Prowler573
02-04-2006, 01:18 PM
Yes, but we're already assuming you would be using an amp that could accept a hi-volt inuput. Of course you wouldn't put a hi-volt preout on an amp with a low input sensitivity. That would be like 500x2 watt amp to run some components. Its already understood you wouldn't do that.:)
For you or I or most other forum members ~ but never underestimate the possibility of a n00bx doing...well, anything.

adam71
02-04-2006, 01:23 PM
For you or I or most other forum members ~ but never underestimate the possibility of a n00bx doing...well, anything.

You would be correct sir.:D

iceteebone
02-04-2006, 01:23 PM
eclipse > alpine

/thread

:)

adam71
02-04-2006, 01:25 PM
eclipse > alpine

/thread

:)

:rolleyes: Juvenile.

j/k. LOL

iceteebone
02-04-2006, 01:27 PM
:rolleyes: Juvenile.

j/k. LOL

i've never been accused of being mature. low-impedence, non clipping rca's > greater then alpine

:evil:

adam71
02-04-2006, 01:39 PM
i've never been accused of being mature. low-impedence, non clipping rca's > greater then alpine

:evil:

Oh don't get me wrong I totally agree. I just got a kick out of how you responded.;)