PDA

View Full Version : Would it be pointless ?

kotec123
02-03-2006, 12:53 AM
I want to buy a line driver, to get a better signal to my amp, so i can lower the gains a little, and put less stress on my electrical system. But, i would be line driving a signal from my line out converter. Would this be pointless as the signal from my line out converter is like less then 2 volts, and probly isnt the greatest signal? or is this a great idea? and suggestions on what line driver i should get? thanks

iceteebone
02-03-2006, 12:54 AM
line driver's are pointless regardless. your gain is used to match the level of the headunit so do that and call it a day

Chevyaudio
02-03-2006, 12:55 AM
Meh...might help might not, Im not a fan of line drivers

kotec123
02-03-2006, 12:55 AM
dude please read the thread....its a stock head unit. aka "line out converter" so it doesnt have bass control..

iceteebone
02-03-2006, 12:57 AM
dude please read the thread....its a stock head unit. aka "line out converter" so it doesnt have bass control..

where did i mention bass control? :confused:

kotec123
02-03-2006, 12:59 AM
where did i mention bass control? :confused:

it doesnt matter maybe??? if my head unit cant controll output then guess what....it doesnt have gains.....and even if you "claim" it does, then its not what im lookin for....

iceteebone
02-03-2006, 01:00 AM
it doesnt matter maybe??? if my head unit cant controll output then guess what....it doesnt have gains.....and even if you "claim" it does, then its not what im lookin for....
all amps have gains. sorry i bothered. back to the lounge i go. :wave:

msimon
02-03-2006, 01:16 AM
I want to buy a line driver, to get a better signal to my amp, so i can lower the gains a little, and put less stress on my electrical system. But, i would be line driving a signal from my line out converter. Would this be pointless as the signal from my line out converter is like less then 2 volts, and probly isnt the greatest signal? or is this a great idea? and suggestions on what line driver i should get? thanks

And why do think that lowering your gain will help your electrical system? Do you think that your amp is going to somehow produce less power or become more efficient by feeding it more signal? Because it sure as heck isn't...

kotec123
02-03-2006, 01:23 AM
look in my other thread in amps...i was told that lowering the gains draws less power...i sure as heck didnt pull that outa my ***...the person who said it might have

iceteebone
02-03-2006, 01:26 AM
look in my other thread in amps...i was told that lowering the gains draws less power...i sure as heck didnt pull that outa my ***...the person who said it might have

only unless you are clipping the amp. just set the gains according to the tutorial

msimon
02-03-2006, 01:28 AM

People a lot smarter than me can explain it much better than I could. Check out werewolf's reply in this thread:
http://www.carsound.com/UBB/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=023709

bimma85
02-03-2006, 01:30 AM
why are you jumping on folks when you have no clue what you are talking about? Lowering the gain would decrease the output and therefore decrease the electrical draw, but that wouldnt always be true....if as you lower the amps gain, you raise its input signal ;) :crap:

kotec123
02-03-2006, 01:40 AM
why are you jumping on folks when you have no clue what you are talking about? Lowering the gain would decrease the output and therefore decrease the electrical draw, but that wouldnt always be true....if as you lower the amps gain, you raise its input signal ;) :crap:

i didnt jump on anyone....im just pissed that i get accused of something i didnt do....so your saying that if i raise input signal wouldnt the amp do "less work" amplifing the signal, therefore there would be less current draw?

kotec123
02-03-2006, 01:43 AM
ok ic i read that post and according to werewolf, he said that the current draw would be the same....

iceteebone
02-03-2006, 01:48 AM
the gain is simply used to match voltage from your source with the amp. that is all it is for.

bimma85
02-03-2006, 01:51 AM
i didnt jump on anyone....im just pissed that i get accused of something i didnt do....so your saying that if i raise input signal wouldnt the amp do "less work" amplifing the signal, therefore there would be less current draw?
Yea I guess ya really didnt jump on anyone :) my bad :laugh:. Dont really see where you got accused of anything though either ;). I could be wrong, but I'd think if you set the amps gain at say 700 watts with a 1v input signal and then at 700 watts with a 3v input signal, it'll still need the same amount of power. Giving your amp a higher input signal, I guess you could say it would cause less stress on the amp possibly. It would also allow you to set the gain lower, doesnt necessarily mean that you'll put less strain on your vehicles electrical system.

kotec123
02-03-2006, 02:32 AM
so i need to know what to do to feed this amp what it needs....big 3? another batt?? i think i might do a line driver just because its like 30 bucks, but i wanna save that money to get my alt rewound...but i was told a rewound alt only lasts 8 months or so

kotec123
02-03-2006, 03:32 AM
also the reason i want a line driver is because i am cranking my bass boost on my amp because if i turn it down the subs literally wont hit, so a higher voltage signal should clear that up

kotec123
02-03-2006, 03:52 AM
so i should do a line driver?....well line drivers need power also, so how would i do that???

Jdizzle
02-03-2006, 03:55 AM
i'd do tha big 3 and go from there really

kotec123
02-03-2006, 03:57 AM
where should i get big 3 done...because my alt is under my engine and id have no clue what the fvck id be takin apart and i want it done right...who wants to do it for me ...ill pay!!

maylar
02-03-2006, 05:58 PM
If you have the gain on your amp all the way up and still don't get full power from the amp, then a line amp can help. That's the only reason I would use one.