PDA

View Full Version : going infinite baffle with IDQ15's

req
02-01-2006, 05:41 PM
i finally decided that it does not matter and im going to wall off my trunk and go IB with a pair of IDQ15D2V2s. i only have 600w for the pair, so efficency is key - and id really like some of my trunk back :)

http://i1.tinypic.com/n1p6c2.jpg
http://i1.tinypic.com/n1p7p1.jpg
http://i1.tinypic.com/n1p7us.jpg

just finished cutting the template onto some MDF, as you can see - up in the rear deck i had my EQ's and Xover hanging down mounted to that MDF, well i took those out and im using that as a mounting location for the IB. quite convienent. i will be pulling up some of the sound dampening at the walls and base of the IB and roughing it up with some 60 grit, and using liquid nails to secure it in place. i plan on covering the front of it all with vynl and mounting the subs from behind and doing a 1\2" roundover on the cabin side of the baffle. on the rear side, i will put back the stock grey carpet and make another baffle that will attach to the rear side of the first one - to cover up the screws of the IDQ's and to cover in carpet. im not sure how im going to mount my amp quite yet. but its going to be somthing very simple im sure.

hopefully most of the build will be done within a few weeks [weather permitting]

if anyone wants to donate $1,000+ or so i would rather have a pair of IDW15's and be able to buy my alpine RUX-H701 & C701 :naughty:

ill clean it all up in a few days. my car is filthy right now :p:

squeak9798
02-01-2006, 05:44 PM
Should sound awesome when you're done man! Those IDQ15's can sound very nice infinite baffle.

If you ever want to sell them, give me a jinge ;)

PS: Speaking of IDW's, if you want to see an awesome IB install, check out Winslow's over on ECA. Four 15" IDW's IB behind the rear seat :drool:

req
02-01-2006, 05:50 PM
Should sound awesome when you're done man! Those IDQ15's can sound very nice infinite baffle.

If you ever want to sell them, give me a jinge ;)

PS: Speaking of IDW's, if you want to see an awesome IB install, check out Winslow's over on ECA. Four 15" IDW's IB behind the rear seat :drool:

LINK LINK!!!

also squeak, if you are interested in buying them, im interested in buying a pair of IDW15s that are FS on THIS forum lol.

jgarcia9102
02-01-2006, 05:59 PM
I Plan on getting some IDQs soon, and i never even considered this as an option.

Im going for SQ without really worrying about how loud it is, so i was going with sealed . how does IB effect output for these over a sealed enclosure? I know i could find a general answer to that, but specifically why (besides truck space) are you choosing to go IB?

im contemplating doing it also. after all, i would get my trunk back.

Edit: i type like a *******

req
02-01-2006, 06:08 PM
well, the are very efficent speakers to begin with [~94db 1w\1m] and put them in IB and that really shines. i will only have 300w to EACH of them when im done. in a sealed box [in the pictures above] 1.5cubes each and 300w each, i did a 138 at like 48hz on the new TL. honestly thats all i need. for all intents and purposes, these dont get crazy loud at the super low notes with that little power, and im hoping the lowend output will increase after i do this. ive listend to them IB [well just freeair] in my house off my HT setup, and they were definatly running full excursion and there was no mechanical noise at all - i was amazed at that.

im not 100% sure on how it will sound different from the sealed box, the sealed box could play VERY high and definatly cut into the midbass range and for lack of a better term - sounded extremly tight and could hit the low notes real well [wich is what i want]

from what ive been told - ib will keep that same sound - but they will be more efficent. i dunno, im only in syracuse about an hour away from ya, so when i get them in you are welcome to come hear it like a week or two from now :p:

squeak9798
02-01-2006, 06:16 PM
LINK LINK!!!

http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/showthread.php?threadid=126099

also squeak, if you are interested in buying them, im interested in buying a pair of IDW15s that are FS on THIS forum lol.

Shoot me a PM....though the only IDW's for sale that I know of are SPLThunders, and according to the thread they've been sold.

jgarcia9102
02-01-2006, 06:19 PM
Well i would be running just 300 watts to each too, so it seems like we would be in the same boat. I am only getting the 12s though, not the 15s if that makes much difference.

So looking at your pics, you built a 'box' for basically only for the purpose of protecting the back of your subs, and it is essentially open (no top)? And im guessing that this is all recessed back behind your rear seats.

I may come visit family eventually, so ill let you know if im in the neighborhood.

EDIT: Oh and in this IB setup, im assuming Deadening the trunk as much as possible is essential?

req
02-01-2006, 06:21 PM
wow that should be freggin sweet. i was contemplating glassing mine like that but i think ill be fine with just a flat baffle.

pm on the way.

req
02-02-2006, 01:37 PM
meh. guess everyone is over in the lounge havin a circle jerk :p:

squeak9798
02-02-2006, 01:42 PM
meh. guess everyone is over in the lounge havin a circle jerk :p:

Wanna join :naughty:

audiolife
02-02-2006, 02:27 PM
i dont know if i would say ib gets louder or more efficient but i do know it gets alot smoother. they tend to never have sharp peaks and sound more realistic in alot of cases 20-50 hz or so stays more linear in output.

blackgeltabs
02-02-2006, 03:03 PM
Wow that was a real nice install with the IDW's. Good luck with the IDQ's I'd lvoe to hear it sometime!

Beat_Dominator
02-02-2006, 03:16 PM
I've thought about going IB with my IDMAX but I can never commit to one box design :crap:

If you care about looks Req, you might as well glass your baffle just a little for looks :)

Jdizzle
02-02-2006, 03:32 PM
thats gonna sound incredible it really is

req
02-02-2006, 04:38 PM
well thank you all..

and squeak, use a PM if you are going to offer that kind of entertainment :naughty:

i should be out to Lowes tonight to exchange my router bit. the shank was too thick lol.

~Magick_Man~
02-02-2006, 11:42 PM
HELLSING for the win!!!

oh and those subs look pretty good too :)

~Magick_Man~

req
02-03-2006, 08:09 PM
lol thanks for all the posative critism everyone :)

i got a lot of work done today, for some reason i was ambitious! so i got my router bits all sorted out, cut some IDQ holes [ IDQ15's are 6 15\16" mounting radius for those of you who are interested ]. i then rounded one side off with a 3\4" roundover bit and then i moved my wires from the floor of the trunk, up the sides of the rear seat area behind little inserts and thru the rear deck into the trunk from eaither side. i caulked the areas that were open up there [i ran out of caulk, i need to seal up two or three other small areas], and i screwed in my IB board.
as you can see, there are small gaps round the whole baffle, but im getting a few tubes of liquid nails to sort that all out. got some metal brackets up top that hold alot of the weight, and i got six or so screws going thru the metal skin of the floor there for some extra support [and yes i got under the car and looked, they are fine] the liquid nails will hold onto those screws for alot of added strength [think rebar in concrete].

http://i1.tinypic.com/n47191.jpg
http://i1.tinypic.com/n46zbd.jpg

here are my new 5 channel MEMPHIS 17' FLAT RIBBON interconnects - awesome awesome wires for under $20 - they are so easy to install under carpet and crap its unbelieveable. thats the right side speakier wires and remote line as well. and a ton of caulk sealing it all up
http://i1.tinypic.com/n48vtc.jpg

heres the driver side rear deck area - both 1\0 runs. one is power and one is ground - the ground is connected to one of the bolts for the rear strut up there, and the power goes all the way up to the engine, and two more speaker lines for the driver side mid\horn. and again, tons of caulk.

http://i1.tinypic.com/n48weg.jpg

tomrrow i get my [temporary] crossover - got it real cheap ;)
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d145/ryphil/crossover2.jpg

Autotek FX-5A 5-way crossover
12dB per octave, 2nd order butterworth, 3v outputs

input 1: High Pass: 1K-8KHz
input 1: bandpass} High Pass: 90-1kHz ; Low Pass: 1K-8KHz

input 2: bandpass} High Pass: 90-1KHz ; Low Pass: 1K-8KHz
input 2: Low Pass: 90-1KHz
input 2: Low Pass: 40-90Hz

thats all for now. i should have more stuff for you all tomrrow :)
enjoy your superbowl weekend!

VIPER118
02-03-2006, 08:24 PM
lol thanks for all the posative critism everyone :)

i got a lot of work done today, for some reason i was ambitious! so i got my router bits all sorted out, cut some IDQ holes [ IDQ15's are 6 15\16" mounting radius for those of you who are interested ]. i then rounded one side off with a 3\4" roundover bit and then i moved my wires from the floor of the trunk, up the sides of the rear seat area behind little inserts and thru the rear deck into the trunk from eaither side. i caulked the areas that were open up there [i ran out of caulk, i need to seal up two or three other small areas], and i screwed in my IB board.
as you can see, there are small gaps round the whole baffle, but im getting a few tubes of liquid nails to sort that all out. got some metal brackets up top that hold alot of the weight, and i got six or so screws going thru the metal skin of the floor there for some extra support [and yes i got under the car and looked, they are fine] the liquid nails will hold onto those screws for alot of added strength [think rebar in concrete].

http://i1.tinypic.com/n47191.jpg
http://i1.tinypic.com/n46zbd.jpg

here are my new 5 channel MEMPHIS 17' FLAT RIBBON interconnects - awesome awesome wires for under $20 - they are so easy to install under carpet and crap its unbelieveable. thats the right side speakier wires and remote line as well. and a ton of caulk sealing it all up
http://i1.tinypic.com/n48vtc.jpg

heres the driver side rear deck area - both 1\0 runs. one is power and one is ground - the ground is connected to one of the bolts for the rear strut up there, and the power goes all the way up to the engine, and two more speaker lines for the driver side mid\horn. and again, tons of caulk.

http://i1.tinypic.com/n48weg.jpg

tomrrow i get my [temporary] crossover - got it real cheap ;)
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d145/ryphil/crossover2.jpg

thats all for now. i should have more stuff for you all tomrrow :)
enjoy your superbowl weekend!

you talk about caulk alot :crazy: lookin good though... so your actually not going to be running full range anymore? its gonna sound sweet:up2somet:

req
02-03-2006, 08:49 PM
here is my idea for my amprack too;

http://i1.tinypic.com/n4a792.jpg

comments? suggestions? please let me know!

DBfan187
02-03-2006, 10:16 PM
you gonna seal off that baffle?

req
02-03-2006, 10:34 PM
yea, if ya read it - im getting some liquid nails tomrrow and gonna go round the whole thing with it. and then whatever is left im gonna caulk shut.

DBfan187
02-03-2006, 10:42 PM
caulk eh? you'll be using a lot of that for sure:p:

audiolife
02-04-2006, 12:58 AM
thats what they usually do though take off the trim peices you will go blah lol some guys go with clean lines no trim peices and think its better yet it never looks finished

Shyne151
02-04-2006, 03:59 AM
expanding foam and resin are your friend...

bimma85
02-04-2006, 04:07 AM
looking good, now get back to work :)

req
02-04-2006, 01:05 PM
expanding foam and resin are your friend...

expanding foam and resin are way to permanent my friend :)

nope, i will be using less permanent means of getting just as sturdy end result.

Archie1185
02-04-2006, 11:46 PM
I've really been interested in the IDQ's lately and was wondering how the lows sound. Also, I was gonna seal them obviously and was wondering if they would sound better pointed to the front or the back of the car?

azbass
02-05-2006, 12:06 AM
awsome a real system in the works. cant wait to see how it turns out.

req
02-06-2006, 01:50 AM
I've really been interested in the IDQ's lately and was wondering how the lows sound. Also, I was gonna seal them obviously and was wondering if they would sound better pointed to the front or the back of the car?

lows sound amazing. no distortion at all [for me at least] and no mechanical noise. they dont get SUPER loud, well they werent made to. but they lows sound awesome. i cant wait to hear them IB. they extend really high and are extremly clean and have a really fast transient response. never got hung up on any fast drumbeats.

as for the pointing, thats somthing that is different with every vehicle, so i suggest you test that out yourself :p:

dbornotdb
02-06-2006, 12:01 PM
You done with this yet?

One day I will drive something not SUV related and am wanting to do an IB install.

Done yet?

SPLThunder
02-06-2006, 02:47 PM
expanding foam and resin are way to permanent my friend :)

nope, i will be using less permanent means of getting just as sturdy end result.

Nonsense, I have used expanding foam in the last two installs, it just takes more time to get it out. A 4 lb maul and wonderbar are your friends. I will be using fiberglass reenforced body filler for the larger holes on mine, but I have the same gaps on the side as you.

Maybe I should start posting pictures too, but then again it looks almost the same as yours.

req
02-06-2006, 02:50 PM
lol. i suppose man, but expanding foam is so messy and sticky and gets EVERYWHERE if you arent extremly careful :p:

and dbornotdb - its like 30 degrees here [it snowed last night] and im freezing my balls off as it is lol. the stuff needs to dry and its taking its sweet-***-time since its so **** cold. :crying:

i dunno. i gotta figure out what the hell im going to do with my amplifier :uhoh:

any suggestions?

//edit, i just went out there and it seems like its still soft in some parts but mostly solid. i have a few more places to fill up again, but ill use bondo for that i think. its 100% sealed up [or so it looks like it is] so im gonna see if i can drop the subs in and do a mock up for the amp and give it a listen :)

req
02-06-2006, 06:03 PM
all hooked up :)

ill get some pictures after i get my hair cut

ooh man i love it so much :)

SAG3
02-06-2006, 06:05 PM
all hooked up :)

ill get some pictures after i get my hair cut

ooh man i love it so much :)
hurry up

Meka
02-06-2006, 06:15 PM
Pics ******!

Wowimzz
02-06-2006, 06:18 PM
hey req, if your going to mount your amp like that you will have to have some bracing for the outer edges, or maybe 1 in the middle towards the end because the first time you hit a bump your rack may fall off

edit: after looking at the pics, if you made the piece of mdf wider, you could add a brace to both sides and attach them next to your spare tire well. OR if your spare tire has a rod that goes all the way down to the bottom of the car, or it mounts to something that is mounted inside the well you could just buy a larger piece of threaded rod, or even allthread, and add use that to brace right in the middle of the amp rack.

edit again.. lol: one other thing you could do is add a brace to each side from the rear of the amp rack to the rear of your baffles. It would look like \ and would be out of mdf cut at angles so it would sit flush and look clean. thats about all i can think of-that came to my mind on my way home from getting subway... lol i never thought subway was food for the thought process.

OH, and I like the rack really good idea. Another idea (if you go with that rack) maybe you could take the top case off and put it on the other way, if the holes match, so the letters are facing the right way.

tRiGgEr
02-06-2006, 06:26 PM
Req,

If you want to use expanding foam, place a large plastic bag in the section you plan to fill up. That way it stays within the bag. It's a lot easier to remove then scrapping your panels...

Even laying plastic sheets down would work.

req
02-07-2006, 03:25 AM
well its 2:30am and i just got home. and wow let me tell you- late night tip wangs pretty **** hard now that they are ib. i was like :jawdrop:

i cant find my **** camrea - and it has had to snow like 9" as of like 6pm and the weather is ****ing terrible out. i cant believe how accurate these ****ing subs are, ive tested everything from hard rock to rap and there has not been one song that does not have an accurate bassline - even songs that when i previously listened to them - were barely audible. im extremly impressed - and they move so much ****ing air now i can easily feel my hair moving with no problem. and this is with SIX HUNDRED WATTS. wich is practically NOTHING in the car audio world.

i know the **** camrea is around somewhere because i had it last sunday and i was doing somthing with it. ill find it tomrrow and get some pics up. its not impressive at all. but hey - pics are pics :)

once the weather dies down a bit ill finish it up :)

oh man. the horns sound so great ;)

:nuts pants:

GOODNIGHT ALL! :D

~Magick_Man~
02-07-2006, 03:59 AM
i hate you so much...
but this gives me much hope for the idq-12 :)

~Magick_Man~

audiolife
02-07-2006, 10:17 AM
i told you lol

ramos
02-07-2006, 10:49 AM
looks d@mn **** my brother, wish I had a trunk :( :)

req
02-07-2006, 04:41 PM
ill have pics up after i show my friend ;)

so keep an eye on this thread.

req
02-07-2006, 06:41 PM
heres pics :)

ill get a vid up tomrrow. its so crazy - they get pretty **** loud, but it looks like they barely freakin move! the bass is so clean and smooth, and the highs from the CD2 comps are unbelieveable. everyone who has heard it has been blown away.

http://i1.tinypic.com/ndl7b7.jpg
http://i1.tinypic.com/ndl7vq.jpg
http://i1.tinypic.com/ndl7yt.jpg
http://i1.tinypic.com/ndl83n.jpg

i still have to 'finish' the install and mount the amp and everything nicely, but for now i can at least enjoy it.

please post any comments or questions!!!

thanks everyone! its been a long two years waiting for this, and i cant be more happy :)

audiolife
02-07-2006, 07:07 PM
you have to some degree what i did and io still use that to measure against everything else. you will notice "sounds" in the music that regular speakers wont reproduce to a noticeable level these will.

req
02-07-2006, 07:16 PM
ive already heard a ton of **** that is amazing. i broke out into the hugest smile yesterday when i was listening to some rock - the kickpedals are phenomenal - its like standing in front of their line arrays at a concert - but its less harsh :)

im floored at how good it sounds :)

if anyone wants to have a listen in the area feel free to PM me and let me know :D

it does not look perfect yet, but i promise i will make it pretty when the weather stop shitting on me lol :p:

SPLThunder
02-07-2006, 07:41 PM
That is one **** amplifier

req
02-07-2006, 07:47 PM
That is one **** amplifier

well thank you for your comments :) - it would have loved to play with some IDW's if you want to send them to me free of charge :naughty:

so! here is my sketch for my amp. im lazy and i dont want to make a floating thingamob. so how about this;

http://i1.tinypic.com/ndmzk2.jpg

i will prolly center the amp and hige the xover and whatnot, but yea - the wall there will just be 1\2" MDF with carpet on it, and the floor will be 1\4" board on risers. the white material around the subs will most likely be some thick and fluffy white material similar to polyfill so that it does not need to be a perfect carpet job over all that liquid nails :). the greay 'hole' in the middle will be a few layers of grille cloth - possibly SUPER77'd to a black metal grille of sorts so it does not flex with the bass too much. inside the 'cavity' where the subs are - there will be some white lights - so when the lights turn on, you can see whats on the other side of the grille cloth. the rest of it all is just grey trunk carpet. i will probly put a removeable door on the foor for access to the tirewell as a storage space for carwash materials and such things.

any comments\ideas?

post away :)

Chevyaudio
02-07-2006, 07:50 PM
Glad you like it, and cant wait to see the finished product.

Wowimzz
02-07-2006, 08:14 PM
all that thinking i did about how to mount your amp, and you dont even say anything about it =(. You have a VERY sexay amp there, and i cant wait to see everything finished!

req
02-07-2006, 08:21 PM
all that thinking i did about how to mount your amp, and you dont even say anything about it =(. You have a VERY sexay amp there, and i cant wait to see everything finished!

lol i totally forgot about that. i was all hyped up about my install fainlly working :)

i was thinking about making some frames out of extruded L aluminum and rivets. but i figured it was too much hassle for a daily driver. so fuq it - ill just let it chill on the bottom lol. thanks for the help tho man :D

req
02-07-2006, 09:38 PM
and i got bored, so here is a system diagram

http://i1.tinypic.com/ndqv77.gif

bumpncarstereo
02-07-2006, 09:42 PM
nice, cant wait to come get my box and hear it.

baseballer1100
02-07-2006, 09:59 PM
Where did you get your 0 guage wire from?

req
02-07-2006, 10:48 PM
Where did you get your 0 guage wire from?

locally. there is a steel company called WARD STEEL and a guy down the street works there. :p:

he is a welder and had a whole roll of it.

and i cant wait to let ya hear it man :) - just let me know when you wanna roll thru. if you want im sure i can make accomadations for you to crash here too.

GCAdidas13
02-07-2006, 10:56 PM
he is a welder and had a whole roll of it.
...sitting on the back of his nice fancy pickup truck... the guy was so nice that he gave req the five-finger discount :-X

req
02-07-2006, 10:58 PM
:hide:

oh no you di'unnt!!!

Fate710
02-07-2006, 11:03 PM
**** thats nice. I've been debating switching my setup alot and going more SQL rather than SPL

NhustlaR
02-08-2006, 01:01 AM
haha I was wondering if that was going in the ol' saturn. should have my wall up soon too :) just found my amp for a sweeet price.

req
02-08-2006, 01:22 AM
coo man. if\when you come on down here let me know and we can meet up and you can have a listen. make sure its before june tho - [and not durring the week(S) around march 16~25. :)

ngsm13
02-08-2006, 01:36 AM
Definitely not cool enough...

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/3504/tommyk7sh.jpg

FTW!!!

NG

req
02-08-2006, 01:37 AM
thats a picture of tom you poser!!!

tommyk90
02-08-2006, 01:41 AM
thats a picture of tom you poser!!!

x2!!

That pic is gettin spread around quicker than herpes at a frat party!!

strong*I*bumpin
02-08-2006, 01:45 AM
nice job bro,I think u've just inspired me :D

ramos
02-08-2006, 09:57 AM
D@mn, now that's a freakin surfboard. Very nice, the sunken floor idea looks rather **** as well. :)

req
02-08-2006, 09:18 PM
so i did a little bit of wire management because im a freak.

i got some of these;
http://www.partsexpress.com/images/082-782m.jpg
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=082-782

these;
http://www.partsexpress.com/images/090-460m.jpg
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=090-460

and these;
http://www.partsexpress.com/images/090-465m.jpg
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=090-465

and since my amp has set-screw speaker outputs, i put the cablepants on each set of speaker wires, and then the set-screw banana plugs followed that. now they are all easily identifiable and pretty looking :D

heres a picture of it :)

http://i1.tinypic.com/neykj7.jpg

let me know what you think! in the future i plan on sleeving all the wire with this stuff;

http://www.partsexpress.com/images/082-426m.jpg
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=082-426

GCAdidas13
02-08-2006, 10:23 PM
That is . okay.

VIPER118
02-09-2006, 03:29 AM
**** lookin good man, bet it sounds better than the cutty does :furious: ... if your not doing anything tomorrow...i'll swing by and take a listen! sweet install though, nice wire thingamajigs :p:

Flipx99
02-09-2006, 02:12 PM
Do them banana connectors work very well? I was thinking about getting them just for the simplicity of taking wires in and out.

NhustlaR
02-09-2006, 03:40 PM
arent you having that comp in may? ill be there ;)

skeptikal
02-09-2006, 03:45 PM
Awesome setup you got there man... You gotta PM by teh way.

req
02-09-2006, 03:57 PM
Do them banana connectors work very well? I was thinking about getting them just for the simplicity of taking wires in and out.

as far as set-screw amp terminals - yea they work freggin awesome. if i had the screw-down with the little flat plate, i would use spade terminals. i cant wait to get my chrome cables sleeve and white heatshrink in the mail :)

gonna make it all so sweet because im a freak like that lol.

yes, comps going to be in may, i still gotta get the scoop on a good place to have it tho. as you have seen in my sig, there are a few places im planning.

thanks skep :), replied.

Chevyaudio
02-09-2006, 03:58 PM
as far as set-screw amp terminals - yea they work freggin awesome. if i had the screw-down with the little flat plate, i would use spade terminals. i cant wait to get my chrome cables sleeve and white heatshrink in the mail :)

gonna make it all so sweet because im a freak like that lol.

Im the same way. All of my friends think im crazy. None of them carpet their boxes and their vehcles look like spider webs. I always spend the extra day or 2 cleaing up everything and running wires right.

pwnt by pat
02-09-2006, 03:59 PM
What happened to the dual 31-band eq's in the rear deck? Do you just have a big hole there now?

req
02-09-2006, 04:24 PM
lol yea there is a big hole there. cool thing is - that it lines up with the double-ib board so that when the seats are up it acts as a vent for the front of the subs and its almost like a weird bandpass enclosure lol :). i plan on getting a alpine H701 so i dont need them anymore. they were too bulky and frankly id like somthing up front. but i think that the H701 is going to be too expensive and with the wall idea i plan on doing in the back i can just put them right in there :p:

or i can flush them with the amp in the floor... but ill worry about that later :p:

Mr. Opportunist
02-09-2006, 04:27 PM
looks like you need a set of idq52's to compliment the idq15's :naughty:

req
02-09-2006, 04:42 PM
idq52's? i need some IDQ8's and some IDW15's lol.

pwnt by pat
02-09-2006, 04:59 PM
put them in the doors below the armrests.

Mr. Opportunist
02-09-2006, 05:01 PM
the 5 1/4's will look good :cool:

my front stage is cd1e minis, idq52's, and soon id8's i may switch to beyma's though which is why i am selling my horns and mids.

jgarcia9102
02-09-2006, 05:12 PM
This is kinda a newb question, but what would it sound like if you didnt have the vents on the deck, and your seat was up? i think im gonna copy you here with my IDQ12's, but i have a feeling the sub directly facing my rear seat from only like 4" away will mess with the sound.

req
02-09-2006, 05:20 PM
well right now i have a cover over that hole. and it sounds just about the same lol. i like to keep the seats down because they rattle quite a bit when nobody is sitting in them while they are up :)

jgarcia9102
02-09-2006, 05:37 PM
i figured it wouldnt matter much since most boxes are in the trunk behind a seat anyways, but i didnt know if the close proximity of the seat infront of the sub would affect it at all.

Flipx99
02-09-2006, 07:09 PM
I was thinking about building an easy fold down mechanism made from mdf. I was going to attach a spare rear seat to a sheet of mdf and move it up when not in use. These IB 15s sound like a good idea.

req
02-09-2006, 07:54 PM
your biggest thing is making sure the cabin is sealed off from the trunk as best as humanly possible. mine is just about 99% done - the only area that is not sealed is where the swing arms for the trunklid are attached to the rear deck because they have small 1x1" holes in the top metal where they pivot. im sure not much air is moving thru there to effect the sound any lol :)

mattmcss
02-09-2006, 11:04 PM
AHHH I want my ID12's back , setup looks insane man, **** nice work

req
02-09-2006, 11:07 PM
you dont have them anymore? what did you do with them? i remember the thread you made with the fiberglass box [in your avatar]

mattmcss
02-09-2006, 11:52 PM
ended up with an offer i couldnt refuse and i didn't, so now i'm rocking nothing , car is up for sale so hopefully i'll have a new vehicle to play with soon =)

req
02-10-2006, 12:42 AM
you know skeptikal has some coustic DR15's [similar to the IDQ but i think less Xmax] should work great ib. selling for like 100+ship iirc ;)

SPLThunder
02-10-2006, 01:19 AM
idq52's? i need some IDQ8's and some IDW15's lol.

I need some IDQ8's :crying:

This is kinda a newb question, but what would it sound like if you didnt have the vents on the deck, and your seat was up? i think im gonna copy you here with my IDQ12's, but i have a feeling the sub directly facing my rear seat from only like 4" away will mess with the sound.

Personal experience, I had a baffle about 2 inches from my back seat and you couldn't tell much of a difference with the seat up. As long as the seat is penetrable material it won’t matter to much. If you have a caddy with a solid metal wall behind the seat, then yes it will **** a little more.

Jdizzle
02-10-2006, 01:33 AM
hey req, what did you do to the Rear deck? anything? or do you keep the back down or what

req
02-10-2006, 01:57 AM
hey req, what did you do to the Rear deck? anything? or do you keep the back down or what

there is a piece of MDF screwed to the underside and there is a little sound dampening. otherwise no i didnt.

Jdizzle
02-10-2006, 03:23 AM
i love it man, love the amp too, i had a fultron memphis bell that looked identical to it lol, i wanna hear an IB setup

req
02-10-2006, 03:37 AM
well ill drive ya around if you come to CNY sometime between now and june :)

just FYI, ED subs are made by image dynamics and are almost identical to the ID line of subs. [looks like you own a pair] and they would be great for an IB setup :)

just thought id let ya kno ;)

[for a peek at six ID8's (same is a 9kv2 iirc) in a dodge charger take a look in the link below]
http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=6593

bumpncarstereo
02-11-2006, 12:58 AM
all i can say is that his car sounds amazing. just freaking awesome

Jdizzle
02-11-2006, 01:27 AM
well ill drive ya around if you come to CNY sometime between now and june :)

just FYI, ED subs are made by image dynamics and are almost identical to the ID line of subs. [looks like you own a pair] and they would be great for an IB setup :)

just thought id let ya kno ;)

[for a peek at six ID8's (same is a 9kv2 iirc) in a dodge charger take a look in the link below]
http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=6593

yeah i have a single 9kv.2 in a .4 fiberglassed enclosure in my standard cab ranger it doesn't have enough output for me so im about to upgrade and get an IDQ10v2 and run it inverted in between my seats in aobut .5 sealed (i wish i could run it IB in my truck but i dont have the room lol

audiolife
02-11-2006, 02:33 AM
seemed like years went by before he installed this...oh wait years did go by lol

Mr. Opportunist
02-11-2006, 02:35 AM
the id8 install is ******, made me want to do something like that :p:

req
02-11-2006, 06:11 PM
seemed like years went by before he installed this...oh wait years did go by lol

lol dave. yea it was mad long ago that i bought your horns and the eq's. just ***** now that im going to be leaving for 5 years and i wont be able to enjoy the fruits of my labor :crying:

but as bumpincarstereo said - he stopped by the other day to pick up a box i carpeted and some wire i sold him - and im pretty sure he really enjoyed listening to it :)

and dave, march 16th ill be in ohio chillin with gcadidas - if you have any free time for a trip to his place - that would be really sweet to come by and check out our install progress and tell us what we need to do :D

anywho - i just washed the car, maybe ill see if i can snap a pic of her before it gets dark out

audiolife
02-11-2006, 06:14 PM
where are you going for 5 yrs?

bumpncarstereo
02-11-2006, 11:48 PM
peace core

:p

req
02-12-2006, 02:25 AM
navy :p:

audiolife
02-12-2006, 02:56 AM
lol you on a boat for months at a time? no gf? uh oh!!!! lololol jk my cousin is a diver in the navy and he is retiring within 2 yrs well before he is 40

bumpncarstereo
02-12-2006, 07:53 AM
i am still impresed with how it sounds... and no update on the mag yet (semi long story)

req
02-13-2006, 04:54 PM
i am still impresed with how it sounds... and no update on the mag yet (semi long story)

lol you noob, get that in there :p:

req
03-14-2006, 12:31 PM
waxed her the other day. took a few more pictures. enjoy.

http://i2.tinypic.com/rcr66p.jpg
http://i2.tinypic.com/rcr68k.jpg
http://i2.tinypic.com/rcr6l2.jpg
http://i2.tinypic.com/rcr6tw.jpg
http://i2.tinypic.com/rcr777.jpg

i will be going to GCAdidas13's pad on the 16 to finish up the install and the asthetics. keep an eye out because we should have alot of pictures.

thanks for looking.

GCAdidas13
03-14-2006, 01:42 PM
yo. nice pix, didnt see that the ib was at such an angle

can't wait to hear it!

your sig is out of date

and i'mma pwn you in q3a ra3 :D

~Magick_Man~
03-14-2006, 03:46 PM
so REQ where did you get those flat memphis rca cables?
i looked around and couldnt find anything on them

~Magick_Man~

T3mpest
03-14-2006, 10:30 PM
Did you do those door pods yourself REQ, they look really nice. I'll be attempting a similar job soon. Hopefully mine can lookt that nice when I'm done.

bumpncarstereo
03-15-2006, 10:55 AM
lol you noob, get that in there :p:

it is in :crazy: you should come out here and check it out.

req
03-16-2006, 11:59 PM
so REQ where did you get those flat memphis rca cables?
i looked around and couldnt find anything on them

~Magick_Man~

got eem on teh ebay for $20 shipped ;)

Did you do those door pods yourself REQ, they look really nice. I'll be attempting a similar job soon. Hopefully mine can lookt that nice when I'm done.

yes i did :)

last summer in fact. i just used some lycra (really thin spandexish material) and only like 2~3 layers of ~7oz matte. worked fantastically.

it is in :crazy: you should come out here and check it out.

if i wasnt in ohio, maybe ;)

but you need to come out to syracuse when i get back. because we have a TL and the van :D

audiolife
03-17-2006, 10:24 AM
tl = true love? lol you need to swing by toledo its on 80/90 lol

bumpncarstereo
03-17-2006, 11:23 AM
yup me and req have some ture love going on:naughty:

naw he ment Term Lab, gonna see what kind of numbers a SI Mag2 will put up sealed. i hit 142.4 with an sx ported to 35hz, and on 1k watts in a 4 door car. let see what sealed and 1200 watts will do.

TreyE
04-16-2006, 02:41 PM
sry to bring this thread back up but im interested on how it sounds..where the hell is the video???? and also i wanna see pictures of where you mounted your horns and ****!!:naughty:

springy101
04-29-2006, 07:59 PM
i was also interested in how you cut out the front baffle for the IB setup, how did cut the wood so it fit it really well without being able to put the wood in first to take measurments

audiolife
04-29-2006, 08:01 PM
i was also interested in how you cut out the front baffle for the IB setup, how did cut the wood so it fit it really well without being able to put the wood in first to take measurments
put in (not perminate) take out ..trim put in as many times like this as needed then load it

springy101
04-29-2006, 08:37 PM
put in (not perminate) take out ..trim put in as many times like this as needed then load it
ya but to get the inital cut out shape, because a piece of wood would be to big to put in if it hadnt been trimmed down, or am i an idiot for thinking he went through the trunk to put it in rather than just behind the backseat in the cab?

azngotskills
04-29-2006, 09:17 PM
card board templet first...thats what i did for a false floor but the concept is the same.

req
04-29-2006, 10:36 PM
ya but to get the inital cut out shape, because a piece of wood would be to big to put in if it hadnt been trimmed down, or am i an idiot for thinking he went through the trunk to put it in rather than just behind the backseat in the cab?

i made a piece of cardboard that would be the correct height but like 3\4 the width and get the right angle and whatev.

then i made two more pieces that were 1\4 length of the entire width and trimmed them until they were the right shape and i duct-taped them to the piece of cardboard that was 3\4 length and traced it on two pieces of MDF and cut them out. i measured to the center poitns and cut them on the router.

here are some pics of the mounting of the horns.

http://i3.tinypic.com/wspilz.jpg
http://i1.tinypic.com/wspj40.jpg
http://i3.tinypic.com/wsplyp.jpg

they use backstrap for some L brackets that mount to some bolts that went into the frame of the dashboard. sadly they will be comming out soon because im giving the car to my sister and im putting some 6.5 coax's in the doorpods lol

oh and i dont have an amp at the moment for the subs :crap:

i sold it because i decided i need more power and im going to get a pair of DLS A5's, they do 85x2@4 and 780x1@1, so each amp will be dedicated to LEFT and RIGHT so i can get some sweet stereo setup. heres a pic i drew up for my future setup - but ill have a sexier headunit and something like the H701.

http://i3.tinypic.com/wspp5l.gif

pwnt by pat
04-29-2006, 10:42 PM
9830 is a nice choice ;) the colors **** and need to be changed, though. Green buttons for changing radio stations, wtf?

req
04-29-2006, 11:08 PM
no ill need something like the F1 status DVI-9990 (http://www.alpinef1status.com/e/products/items/dvi-9990.html) and match it up with the f1 status PXI-H990 (http://www.alpinef1status.com/e/products/items/pxi-h990.html)

but ill be buying the amps and the processor while im in the navy, ill prolly wait on the headunit till i get a car, because i may do a carputer, but i dunno.

GCAdidas13
04-30-2006, 02:05 AM
http://i3.tinypic.com/wspp5l.gif
apparently this is fake. noob.

req
04-30-2006, 03:10 AM
i <3 you too bri-cakes. :inlove:

AlpineUser
06-29-2006, 12:28 AM
any new updates?

mattmcss
06-29-2006, 12:28 AM
any new updates?

I believe REQ is in the service right now

Sleeklsc
06-29-2006, 04:15 AM
that is true....he's about 20 min from me.....perhaps i should make a booty call....

what a second.....there are plenty of boys at great lakes to give him a little " cushion "

would a 3 way be out of order?

Sleeklsc
06-29-2006, 04:22 AM
those navy boyz will walk all around the local malls lookin for some actual ***..( not man a$$) ( gurnee mills ) its quite pitiful...well , no,,.....

but i see them doin it all the time in there uni-form- and laugh my a$$ off....

req if you need some sexum get at me w/ a pm.....i know 1 or 2 .....

req
08-01-2006, 03:58 PM
word up. looks like ill be stationed in great lakes IL. just outside chicago.

never know :p:

GCAdidas13
08-02-2006, 01:53 PM
NGR PLZ

hai. been thinking about meeting you up in NY for when you make it there for winter break. what's your status?

req
08-04-2006, 08:33 PM
just graduated this morning! woot!

ill fill you in next week when i get to my next duty station!

l8 guys

HotCarl
08-05-2006, 01:07 AM
word up. looks like ill be stationed in great lakes IL. just outside chicago.

never know :p:

wow, thats really close to me.

req
08-16-2006, 03:26 PM
cool beans.

im at the great lakes placer thing.

maybe we can chill sometimes. :p:

audiolife
08-16-2006, 03:32 PM
ur weird dude...lol jk

req
11-18-2006, 01:16 AM
woot.

James Bang
11-18-2006, 01:32 AM
haha woot for the reviving or req's threads.

guess what?!?!??!?!

i got those idq 8"s reconed!!!!!! hell yes.

mattmcss
11-18-2006, 01:33 AM
hmmmm

James Bang
11-18-2006, 01:34 AM
hmmmm

nice banner.

mattmcss
11-18-2006, 01:35 AM
nice banner.

Thank you, hopefully everyone can pick up the sarcasm

James Bang
11-18-2006, 01:41 AM
image dynamics!..... hater.. ;)

i never got the joke, but i know it's a joke.:confused:

... i AM installing some ID horns as we speak. :D

mattmcss
11-18-2006, 01:43 AM
It would be impossible for me to praise a companies drivers more than I could say about ID's stuff, ALWAYS extremely nice build and LOVE the sound.

Don't have a better name in my book.

Wkbdkid
11-18-2006, 01:54 AM
After seeing this thread its made me wanna get my 2 12" IDQs reconed. Any thoughts for an install?

James Bang
11-18-2006, 01:54 AM
i feel ya. all my drivers are ID. well, will be, by tonight. horns, idq6s, idq8s, idmax's.
it just might be an all-nighter tonight with me and my 2 amigos: alpine and ID.

James Bang
11-18-2006, 01:56 AM
After seeing this thread its made me wanna get my 2 12" IDQs reconed. Any thoughts for an install?

port them. though ID doesn't recommend it, I and others think they sound great ported. i heard they're great in IB installs, too, but i've never heard an IB install before.

Wkbdkid
11-18-2006, 01:58 AM
kinda hard to do an IB set up in an suv isnt it? They still make IDQs right. 6 12" IDQs would be a fun build.

mattmcss
11-18-2006, 02:00 AM
talk to thieroff , he has two 12" IDQ's ported and loves em

James Bang
11-18-2006, 02:02 AM
kinda hard to do an IB set up in an suv isnt it? They still make IDQs right. 6 12" IDQs would be a fun build.

lol, oops. i didnt' think about you having an SUV.
yes they still do make IDQs v.2s, so you'd be able to get those reconed. I say go w/ the 15"s

edit: they're also currently designing new lines.

Wkbdkid
11-18-2006, 02:05 AM
I would go 15's but ive only had 15s in my truck and lookin for something different. They sounded very nice sealed in my sisters yukon so this could be a good sounding setup. Quick to the drawing board...

James Bang
11-18-2006, 02:10 AM
I would go 15's but ive only had 15s in my truck and lookin for something different. They sounded very nice sealed in my sisters yukon so this could be a good sounding setup. Quick to the drawing board...

IMO there's a big difference in sound from the 12" to the 15" idq. not to mention the 15" will get lower.

pwnt by pat
11-18-2006, 02:10 AM
talk to thieroff , he has two 12" IDQ's ported and loves em

Word. I helped him with the box and haven't heard it yet, but hopefuly he will grace me with their presance. He hasn't a bad thing to say about 'em

Wkbdkid
11-18-2006, 02:16 AM
how much would it cost to get them reconed to a 15? and how bout 9ft^3 @30hz with 120+ inches of port area? each sub would get 1.5 cubes.

mattmcss
11-18-2006, 02:18 AM
I don't think the 15's use the same motor as the 12's, I could be wrong though.

ID is just a phone call away...

Wkbdkid
11-18-2006, 02:21 AM
Not at 10:30 at night on a friday.

req
11-19-2006, 12:02 AM
my IDQ15 looked exactally like my IDQ12. so i dont know about that.

but i tell you that IB sounded way better than sealed. but i never put the 15's ported. i did put the 12 ported, and i like the IB better than that too. but it souned great in all 3, little more output ported, cleaner sealed, and best of both world IB.

i cant wait till i get a new car so i can listen to them again. sigh.

Thieroff
11-19-2006, 12:04 AM
I can't wait to run mine IB

I've had the sealed and ported, and I really like how they sound ported tuned low

It's only a matter of time before I go IB with them, or maybe some maxes

New car and not much money right now>me

CT

req
11-19-2006, 10:33 AM
im in the navy right now and i dont know if ill be stationed here for a while, if im going on cruise or if ill head overseas. all my stereo is in boxes and i just need my orders in a few weeks. if im stationed here or widby island or something after C school then im going to be looking into a car. more like stereo that takes me to taco bell.

lol.

2kchevy06civic
11-19-2006, 10:40 AM
heh, it's good to see you REQ, haven't talked to you in a while. Hope everything is going great man.

GCAdidas13
11-19-2006, 04:42 PM
yeah man, how are things?

i picked up some B&C 8NDL51 speakers,
tore apart the kick panels we made and re-fabbed the front of them for the 1/2" bigger mounting hole,
they're in about 0.28 cubes and get about as loud as i'll ever need them to ever be ever. and have pretty good response. you'll have to hear them sometime.

i'm still taking good care of your RTA :) and using it pretty frequently.

i went and saw dave about a month ago, had a pretty good time up there and learned a few things :)

so where is and what is in the saturn?

i hope to see you soon, you **** beast.

req
11-21-2006, 11:00 PM
brian!! i was showin tons of people our pics from the camry build :)

good to see you are alive my friend!

the saturn is at home. sister is driving it. there is a little 2 channel coustic amp with 10 guage wire and 2 ****in ****** coaxials in my doorpods and a JVC headunit. lawl.

all my stereo is in boxes in my closet. im saving up monies for my DLS amps, the LS82's with the reverse neo motor and a processor.

dont forget that i need that RTA back alright? :D

but im glad you were able to get so many hours of use. what did dave have to say? im curious to hear his comments on the pods and the install. and id like to see some pics of how they turned out.

lemme know buddy :)

take it easy!

audiolife
11-21-2006, 11:05 PM
we disagree on the polarity of his mid bass other than that it sounds pretty good. those 8's he has a pretty dynamic but the rta mic needs a stand his horns dont do well on the last 2 bands of rta which really isnt too bad considering we had to hold the mic. too me id rather have the image as wide as i could then tweek tonally but he is too much of a mid bass freak lol

req
12-23-2006, 03:33 PM
teh ear ***. :D

i am looking at getting a new car this week. hopefully a VW GTi or the likes. so maybe ill have a new teh ear sexing thread up soon ;)

dls sweedishing dupla-laterial metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistafacation amplifcators
image dynamics ultra low frequency transducafication modules
image dynamics supersaturation-based full bodied CD2 compressification transducators
critical mass MB82 ultra sweet midbassial reproducial transducators
alpine CDA9827 compact discial multi format disc laZer reading unit
alpine H701 multi duplixing third octivation equalizator with hexa-agonal multi-band-passable crossificatiors
uitilizing ultra dense low freqcueny inhibitional semi-fluiational zero-interferance quadralateral octional shifting ultra tolerance mututudal pelonium electro transmission ducts

you know.

it should be the ****.

audiolife
12-23-2006, 03:34 PM
geek mobile get a camaro

req
12-24-2006, 02:33 AM
a camaro?

feh. im not a fan of domestic cars unless they are real oldschool and rebuilt wich i do not have the time or money for, or they are brand new. i hate mid 90's "muscle" cars. the interiors are such a piece of **** its not even funny. friend has a 98 camaro and another has a 97 trans am.

i am not a fan of how small they are inside for more than 2 people and how huge as **** they are outside. seems like a huge waste of space.

audiolife
12-24-2006, 02:36 AM
go back earlier early 90's still say its the best type car to do a system they can bump and spaced well with room plus easy to work with....

mattmcss
12-24-2006, 02:41 AM
VW's are alright, although for my money I'd look for a 1.8T A4 or something

req
12-24-2006, 02:46 AM
so like a pre-93's camaro (which i like more)

http://image2.autorevo.com/895/pics/56726_dc0370a5-d9f5-4d6b-bce3-40663990458d.jpg

or a post 93 wich i think have horrid old interiors that are too small for the cars size;

http://i10.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/7f/81/0288_12.JPG

if i could find a nice late 80's or eairly 90's 5 speed camaro with good engine and paint and interior, maybe. but thats not my style really dave :)

req
12-24-2006, 02:47 AM
VW's are alright, although for my money I'd look for a 1.8T A4 or something

you see, the audi does not come in hatchback. which i want. thats one reason i am looking at the golf. i think rear decks are a waste of space.

mattmcss
12-24-2006, 02:53 AM
you can pick up like an A6 allroad wagon or something if you wanted to get sassy, but the backseats do fold completely down in the A4's

req
12-24-2006, 02:56 AM
and i believe the wagons are for sissypants lol.

no, for real, i wouldnt mind the wagon? but i cant stand trunk cars anymore. i want to do an IB install where that little thing that covers the rear hatch area when the hatch is closed serves as my baffle. maximize space and simplistic install is my goal.

req
02-26-2007, 02:36 AM
i miss my saturn.

pics on page 3 are teh best.

~Magick_Man~
02-26-2007, 02:42 AM
i still want a pair of idq 15's :(

~Magick_Man~

Mike465
04-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Looking good

Pop da Hatch
04-02-2009, 10:10 PM
wow sweet bump, considering he isnt even able to visit the forum at momment.

req
04-10-2009, 07:08 PM
yea i is :)

ill have to repost some pictures of my whip though, i think my tinypic account got banned. ill have to get back on it.

im in the aribian sea right now with the navy, it takes a while to load a page. but im still around when i can.

thanks for the bump man :)