PDA

View Full Version : Do you think there would be a market for BLH's?

ballstothewall
01-30-2006, 07:35 PM
Ok, most of ya'll probably know that I built a pair of back loaded horns with Fostex FE103E's. I love em, yes I am biased a little, but I don't care. The reason I'm asking this is because I love building things, and I wondered if this would be a way I could make a little extra money selling what I make for fun. My question is do you guys think there would be a market, forums or ebay for Back loaded horns (like mine, or maybe other ones on request) constructed out of MDF, but I haven't decided how to finish them yet.

But do you guys think I would be able to sell a couple sets? And how much do you think I could get out of them. No, none of them will be full Walnut construction like mine (unless you would like to pay alot more for them, then I would think about it).

What you think?

Thanks,

-Ryan

JimJ
01-31-2006, 09:37 AM
How much do you want? :D

There's definitely a market for them. Sell it to crazy nuts like me that have amplifiers under 10 watts and have a very real need for true point source speakers.

http://www.decware.com 's forums would be a good place to sell. Ed Schilling out of SC has a very good business building Buschhorns with 4" Fostex drivers.

joetama
01-31-2006, 10:59 AM
There are alwasy a market for systems designed with horns check out the JBL K2 series.

ballstothewall
01-31-2006, 12:34 PM
What would a good asking price be?

What would you be willing to pay Jim?

JimJ
01-31-2006, 12:35 PM
With drivers?

$250 a pair seems reasonable, considering Ed's Hornshoppe Horns start at $400'ish.

joetama
01-31-2006, 12:40 PM
That isn't really too bad of a price. If you get a name out there for yourself then you can take a few more $$$$ on that....

ballstothewall
01-31-2006, 01:12 PM
That sounds alright to me... Now I just have to get home over some of the weekends and start making them!

For 250, would that be finished, or raw MDF? If finished, what would be the best way to finish them?

_DjScrew_
01-31-2006, 01:14 PM
i'd say finished extra. some ppl like naked mdf :D

adam71
01-31-2006, 01:26 PM
What do these speakers look like?? I've never seen a pair before. Or I have and just didn't know it.:D

joetama
01-31-2006, 01:38 PM
You can get some stick on laminate pretty **** cheap from Parts Express, with a little skill and practice it's not too hard to put on...

PV Audio
01-31-2006, 03:55 PM
As I was taught in French, Tuilp got Le Pwnt by not selling the Aikido on DIYaudio :D

I'd buy a pair if they were reasonably priced.

ballstothewall
01-31-2006, 06:38 PM
Pics of mine are here in this thread.... http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=132192

The ones I would sell would NOT be out of walnut, unless someone wanted to pay somewhere around 800-1,000 dollars. 300 shipped sounds like a good price to me, although shipping is going to be a pain in the ***. Veneer souds like a good idea too...

req
01-31-2006, 07:06 PM
question. why do you use a "stairstep" patter to increase\decrease the "port" width\height? why not use an angle piece? wouldnt the air velocity be more smooth and whatever?

JimJ
01-31-2006, 07:08 PM
question. why do you use a "stairstep" patter to increase\decrease the "port" width\height? why not use an angle piece? wouldnt the air velocity be more smooth and whatever?

It's designed by Fostex to break up harsh leftovers of bass response...one problem of backloaded horns can be ragged low bass if it's not properly designed.

Fostex Inc. isn't Q-Logic; they know how to build a box :)

ballstothewall
01-31-2006, 07:09 PM
My answer.... Cause the plans call for it. Other than that, I don't know.

One of these days I'm gonna build a couple pair with different techniques (ex, what you said) and see if I can tell the difference. I highly doubt I will be able to, but it gives me something to do.

ballstothewall
01-31-2006, 07:09 PM
Ok, what he said....