PDA

View Full Version : Sq

Rockguy475
01-29-2006, 03:42 PM
what should i look for in a deck as far as SQ goes.... im not really looking for somthing fancy(but fancy isnt bad;) ) but what should i be looking for in a deck if my main concernment is the sound

Jdizzle
01-29-2006, 03:45 PM
whats your budget? an eclipse would be nice hasa built in crossover and equalizer, can get a bit pricey though

Rockguy475
01-29-2006, 03:55 PM
well thing is i already bought my headunit... kinda... my dad gave it to me bc he has connections with car audio people bc he runs a car dealership.. this is it http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL027446&pathId=54&page=1 i just want to know if this will have good SQ to it

Jdizzle
01-29-2006, 03:57 PM
im not really sure, i havent really dealt with much jvc stuff

req
01-29-2006, 04:05 PM
i would not get a jvc or pioneer. thats just me.

i would look for an alpine or eclipse with built in crossovers. unless you plan on going with an external active setup. then just get somthing that plays MP3's and has front\rear\sub preouts. thats all i care about lol.

JAZN
01-29-2006, 04:31 PM
It all depends if you want internal or external processing. If you're going internal, I would look for 3 preouts (higher preout voltage is nice but definitely not required unless you have noise issues), ability to go active with adjustable xovers and slopes, an EQ with a decent amount of bands.

adam71
01-29-2006, 04:36 PM
i would not get a jvc or pioneer. thats just me.

i would look for an alpine or eclipse with built in crossovers. unless you plan on going with an external active setup. then just get somthing that plays MP3's and has front\rear\sub preouts. thats all i care about lol.

:rolleyes: Shut up. Just because you don't like their sound doesn't mean NO one does. As far as crossovers are concerned his JVC has an internal crossover. If there are sub outputs then there is a crossover in it. It may not match the quality of a Pioneer or Eclipse internal xover but its a xover none the less.

Anyway, Rockguy...............what kind of system are you planning on running?? Are you just going with a couple speakers up front with a sub in the back?? Are you going to stay with 2 way comps up front?? If you're going to run a system with front and rear (or just fronts) and a sub your JVC headunit that your dad got will do you just fine. 5 volt preouts is MORE than adequate. If its that cheap for you then why not try it anyway. The best way to find out what decks sound good to you is trial and error. I personally have used Eclipse, Alpine, Clarion and Pioneer in my days and now I stay with Pioneer because they are what sound best to my ears. So in short, I would get that unit and atleast give it a try. Don't be pulled in by market hype or popular opinion. Nice things can be found outside of popular opinions.

adam71
01-29-2006, 04:36 PM
It all depends if you want internal or external processing. If you're going internal, I would look for 3 preouts (higher preout voltage is nice but definitely not required unless you have noise issues), ability to go active with adjustable xovers and slopes, an EQ with a decent amount of bands.

His JVC has all those things you're talking about. Not as flexible but he still has them.

adam71
01-29-2006, 04:37 PM
what should i look for in a deck as far as SQ goes.... im not really looking for somthing fancy(but fancy isnt bad;) ) but what should i be looking for in a deck if my main concernment is the sound

How much are you getting this JVC for??

Jdizzle
01-29-2006, 04:43 PM
i'd sell it and look into an eclipse if you really wanted good SQ

Rockguy475
01-29-2006, 06:04 PM
ummm ok well so far i have 2 12in W3s in a JL box http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_enclosures.php?menu=3&prod_id=298 thats my excact subs/box... i have the JL 500/1 amp to power them... thats all i have so far besides my deck which is the JVC KD-SHX750 ...... i plan on gettin a set of components and a JL300/4 amp to power the 4 speakers insdie the car.... i just wanted to make sure that my deck would be producing a nice sound

Rockguy475
01-29-2006, 06:05 PM
o yea btw.. my subs/box and amp and deck are all just sitting in my room.. i dont get my car until april/may sp i havent installed anything yet

Rockguy475
01-29-2006, 06:06 PM
How much are you getting this JVC for??
well the MSRP price for the deck was like about 550 but my dad got it for about 320

Mir
01-30-2006, 12:53 AM
1) Eclipse 8455
2)Kenwood 25th

alphakenny1
01-30-2006, 12:56 AM
another vote for popular opinion ;) . look into an eclipse HU. awesome SQ. of course yes it all depends on your setup, is processing necessary for you?

Rockguy475
01-30-2006, 11:31 AM
another vote for popular opinion ;) . look into an eclipse HU. awesome SQ. of course yes it all depends on your setup, is processing necessary for you?
ok well heres my setup(so far)
two 12in w3v2 in a custom JL Wedge box
JL 500/1 sub amp
JVC HU(wanting to know if my HU is already good enough).. link below for the HU
http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL027446&pathId=54&page=1

squeak9798
01-30-2006, 11:40 AM
ok well heres my setup(so far)
two 12in w3v2 in a custom JL Wedge box
JL 500/1 sub amp
JVC HU(wanting to know if my HU is already good enough).. link below for the HU
http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL027446&pathId=54&page=1

Yes, that deck should do just fine. Go ahead and run it. If for some reason you start using it and decide you don't like it, then you can start thinking about the possibility of a new deck. But until then, use it and be happy.

Chances are very high that if you put a blind fold on all of the people in here that told you not to use it, 99% of them wouldn't be able to hear a difference between it and their Eclipses/Pioneers/Alpines.

JimJ
01-30-2006, 11:43 AM
I was listening to Nick's three way setup in the 4runner yesterday...I was thoroughly impressed for $42 in drivers, no processing on the amplifier and a Panasonic source unit that was more suited for an SPL burp deck :) It's amazing how things work out sometimes.

adam71
01-30-2006, 12:34 PM
Chances are very high that if you put a blind fold on all of the people in here that told you not to use it, 99% of them wouldn't be able to hear a difference between it and their Eclipses/Pioneers/Alpines.

:word:

forbidden
01-30-2006, 03:46 PM
Unless you happen to be one of the old guys like me that can tell something like that in a heartbeat.

I would still recommend that you keep the unit for now. Your old man did something nice for you, use the unit and build the balance of the system. Choose better speakers first and have them installed PROPERLY to give you the best you can get from them. Then and only then, consider a different cd player. I too would recommend the Eclipse, as I have for over 10 years now.

faulkton
01-30-2006, 03:52 PM
listen to these smarties telling you to keep your deck. Finish the rest of your system and if your not happy with the deck upgrade it then. But **** you have to at least try it out! Im betting you will be happy with it, having said that the next time you buy a deck...check out eclipse!

Rockguy475
01-30-2006, 05:46 PM
ok tight i think i will keep it... i hear in the audio buisness u get what u pay for and seeing that the MSRP price for the deck was 550 im thinking it should work fine.. thanks for all the advice guys

Jdizzle
01-31-2006, 05:38 PM
yeah and um whoever gave me bad rep from this thread heres a lil info, i use to own an eclipse a few years back, and no JVC could even compare to it

Rockguy475
01-31-2006, 05:42 PM
why cant JVC compare?

Mr. Opportunist
01-31-2006, 05:43 PM
yeah and um whoever gave me bad rep from this thread heres a lil info, i use to own an eclipse a few years back, and no JVC could even compare to it
rep points are ghey :crap:

Jdizzle
01-31-2006, 05:48 PM
yeah lol it just pissed me off because whoever did it told me i've never heard an eclipse before lol

jvc cant compare to eclipse it terms of SQ...my girl has a jvc (cant recall which) and i mean its decent but nothing comparable

Rockguy475
01-31-2006, 05:50 PM
does the majority of sq come from speakers/amps or the HU itself?

squeak9798
01-31-2006, 06:03 PM
does the majority of sq come from speakers/amps or the HU itself?

95% of the sound quality comes from the speakers, installation and tuning.

squeak9798
01-31-2006, 06:05 PM
jvc cant compare to eclipse it terms of SQ...

Ever tested them in a double blind, scientifically valid test?

Rockguy475
01-31-2006, 06:07 PM
95% of the sound quality comes from the speakers, installation and tuning.
so why was he saying JVC cant compare to the others if its only about 5% anyway

alphakenny1
01-31-2006, 06:07 PM
Ever tested them in a double blind experiment?

while this is true, im sure you know jvc doesn't even compare and you're playing devils advocate here ;). the eclipse 8454 and 8455 has processing galore and hence jvc doesn't even touch eclipse. also thats why theres a huge price difference.

squeak9798
01-31-2006, 06:08 PM
so why was he saying JVC cant compare to the others if its only about 5% anyway

That's my point ;) Even if the Eclipse (for example) does sound better, there are much much much more important things to focus on.

Rockguy475
01-31-2006, 06:09 PM
whats the cost of most eclipse(without a screen)

alphakenny1
01-31-2006, 06:13 PM
whats the cost of most eclipse(without a screen)

it all depends. the 2005 line ranged from $200 to $700 retail i believe.

Rockguy475
01-31-2006, 06:17 PM
the MSRP on my JVC was 550(i didnt get it for this price though) is there any way that i have a nice JVC model with sq or is it that all JVC decks are just really expensive

alphakenny1
01-31-2006, 06:23 PM
it all depends on your setup though, i'm sure that jvc would be nice for a passive setup (most likely what you are you doing, just a guess though) and it comes with a 7 band eq. not bad. if you have it, i'd just keep it. unless of course you are going active, now thats a whole different story.

Rockguy475
01-31-2006, 06:24 PM
whats the differnce between passive and active?

alphakenny1
01-31-2006, 06:26 PM
whats the differnce between passive and active?

lol i'm too lazy to explain. do a search and there is plenty of threads with this exact subject.

Rockguy475
01-31-2006, 06:29 PM
aight

spudracer326
01-31-2006, 08:55 PM
lol i'm too lazy to explain. do a search and there is plenty of threads with this exact subject.
^^your always to lazy....lol J/K
yeah do a search, there is a TON on this subject. I would keep the deck, if its 550 its gotta be decent. and wasnt it free from your dad?

Rockguy475
01-31-2006, 10:38 PM
yea it was free but i got a lot of comments tellin me to sell it and get somthing else but i do think it would be better for me to keep it

nissanrider06
01-31-2006, 10:42 PM
i went from a kenwood to the pioneer 7700 and thus 4v to 2v preouts and there a substantial differance in sq of my subs

im pretty sure it was the preout voltage that made the differance but i cant be sure

squeak9798
01-31-2006, 10:44 PM
i went from a kenwood to the pioneer 7700 and thus 4v to 2v preouts and there a substantial differance in sq of my subs

im pretty sure it was the preout voltage that made the differance but i cant be sure

No it wasn't. There is no audible difference between 2V and 4V assuming the gain is set correctly for each voltage.

Plus you can not entirely change decks, and try to credit a change in sound to one specific variable.

Rockguy475
02-01-2006, 12:27 AM
i wish i even knew the differnce between a 2V and 4V.. this kinda stuff i get lost in but i am learning more each day... i dont even know the full specs on my deck bc whenever i look at them i dont know what all the numbers even mean... sad i know:crap:

alphakenny1
02-01-2006, 04:08 AM
www.bcae1.com

great place to start learning my friend.

Rockguy475
02-01-2006, 11:24 AM
has anyone actaully takin the time to read all of that?

JimJ
02-01-2006, 11:28 AM
You don't have to read everything to start with, but learn the basics and then tackle the more difficult topics.

Most of that we've learned from the school of hard knocks and tough reality :)

alphakenny1
02-01-2006, 02:46 PM
You don't have to read everything to start with, but learn the basics and then tackle the more difficult topics.

Most of that we've learned from the school of hard knocks and tough reality :)
:imstupid: . Learning that the gain actually means something. lol i've blown a few speakers for being a complete idiot. You learn a lot with actual hands on experience. Then you start knowing what the specifications mean and what not. But no i haven't read all of that website. just read the subjects that you want to know.

FoxPro5
02-01-2006, 04:12 PM
has anyone actaully takin the time to read all of that?

No and we don't expect you to either. I've read some of the topics 5 times and I still don't get it. You have to learn in layers. Experience is what pays off in the end. What some have said is that through our experience, Eclipse > JVC in terms of sound quality.

But keep your deck man. I will serve you just fine. Spend your $$$ on proper set up of your speakers, amps, and sound deadening and then re-evaluate to see how you like it so far. It's a process!!!

SQChevy
02-02-2006, 04:01 PM
Ok, my two cents. I compete SQ, although JVC isn't used in many vehicles that doesn't mean it's not good. Honestly look at what you are wanting it to do. If it is purely for cruising down the street and listening to music, jamming out. I'm sure it will be fine. Try it out see how you like it, it seems like your dad got a good deal. If you don't like it, sell it on ebay (should be about to get about same amount if not more) and get a better one. If you are really serious about sound quality, look for a headunit that doesn't have internal amplification. This would be where on the headunit it says 50x4, that's internal amplification. The head unit I use only has an optical out to go to my processer for active crossover (meaning that it is adjustable at the touch of a button, btw passive crossover is what is used for component speakers, you can adjust crossover points) or it has 3 preamp outputs. No connections for speakers built into the head unit. They will use better quality components there and you will be able to tell some difference in sound. It gets difficult to say what makes a good head unit, everybody has their own preferences. My suggest go to a store that carries your head unit and several others and switch head units keeping the amps and speakers the same and see what you think. If you can tell the difference switch, if not, I wouldn't worry about it. I shall now step off my soap box.

Rockguy475
02-02-2006, 07:14 PM
yea all i do want it for is for my own entertainment so i will keep it

adam71
02-02-2006, 11:18 PM
yea all i do want it for is for my own entertainment so i will keep it

Good choice man.;)

I think you'll be very happy with that deck.