PDA

View Full Version : Definately going active....New questions.

CELLERBR
01-25-2006, 09:51 PM
Ok I have definately decided to go active for my new comp set. First I was considering horns instead of tweets. I have been reading around DIYmobileaudio and elitecaraudio and am getting mixed reviews on horns in cars. SOme love em' some hate em'. Without being able to listen to different setups like this I am stuck having to choose blindly. I am thinking of taking the "cheaper aproach" first which would be Good mids, nice tweets, and using my DEH-p869MP for a crossover. Then if I am not happy selling the tweets and picking up a set of horns and a good crossover. However I would like to avoid all this and do it right the first time. Install is of no concern (horns or tweets either one is fine) and for mids I will more then likely be using 8" possibly the Dayton RS225S-8 8" REFERENCE SERIES SHIELDED WOOFER Specs can be found here: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-366
Or The Seas CA22RNX here: http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=800698.9486&pid=1944

ANyone have any opinions on these woofers? GOod tweets (looking at the dayton reference series), Horns vs. tweets? How much power to feed tweets and these mids? All feedback wanted.

alphakenny1
01-25-2006, 10:31 PM
if you have been doing a lot of reading at diyma, then you would know that the daytons are extremely popular. i haven't heard the set myself from what i've read they are known as the "best bang for the buck" speaker at a whopping $60 for the pair for the rs180 and $86 for the 8 inchers.

also i just installed my Seas CA18RLY (similar to the CA18RNX but with a lil less midbass output) and they are awesome. midrange is super clear and midbass is definatley there. i have them paired up with the LPG 25NFA. awesome tweets, nice and silky :D . especially for the price lpg's are hard to beat.

also if you looking into going active why don't you wait a bit and wait for the diyma stuff. npdang is coming out with his own tweeter and mid that you might check out as well. there are stickies concerning those.

what amp are you going to use the power your frontstage?

imaspaceguy90
01-25-2006, 10:35 PM
dayton speakers rock the roofs off cars

CELLERBR
01-25-2006, 10:39 PM
Will be using an Orion 8004 (100wrms x 4 @ 4 ohms) so roughly 50ish @ 8 ohms......

alphakenny1
01-25-2006, 11:07 PM
thats plenty of power. i'm getting 42.5 x 4 @ 8 ohms roughly and my setup can get loud if i want it to.

CELLERBR
01-25-2006, 11:11 PM
thats plenty of power. i'm getting 42.5 x 4 @ 8 ohms roughly and my setup can get loud if i want it to.

I am looking for something to get loud enough to keep up with my currently overpower substage which is a jl 13W7 in a dual chamber tri-vent box first chamber 2.55 cubes tuned to 27hz second chamber is 1.25 cubes tuned to 39hz.....with 1200+WRMS...

alphakenny1
01-26-2006, 12:09 AM
oh looking back at your original post i see that you are going to use an 8 inch mid. im not sure how well 8 inchers play in the midrange area. most people use 8 inchers for midbass mainly. i'm not quite sure myself but maybe do a lil bit more research on how 8 inchers play the midrange frequencies. i dunno if i was in your situation i'd get get the CA18RNX. the most popoular combo over at diyma is the CA18RNX paired with LPG 25nfa. also look into the L18rnx.

like i said if i really wanted to, i know my setup can get extremely loud. i usually play my music at around 50/80. but when i raise it up to 60 or so, its get too loud for me. like i said i think that frontstage amp should be sufficient.

squeak9798
01-26-2006, 09:17 AM
From what I've seen, those Dayton RS drivers are pretty power hungry and don't perform aswell off of lower power levels (under 100w). With only 50w, I think you may be better off going to route of the Seas. But as was mentioned, not all 8's are going to be suitable to do a 2-way setup with. I don't off hand know a whole lot about that Seas to know what type of high frequency extension it has. The frequency response graph doesn't start to get ugly until around 3khz.....but that doesn't mean they'll sound great playing up that high.

And if you are doing 8's, you will definitely want to go with something like the Dayton RS tweeter than can play low (for a tweeter). I think those RS tweets can handle something like a 1600hz crossover point fairly well.

Horns vs. tweets?

Horns > Tweeters

More lively. More dynamic. More realistic sounding. More energy.

That's my opinion, atleast.

CELLERBR
01-26-2006, 12:18 PM
I was definately looking at the Dayton RS28 tweets Thinking of them Crossed at about 2k w/6-12DB rolloff. And the 8" mid crossed at 1.6K w/12dbish rolloff.....Also I was thinking what if I was to wire those Dayton 8's in parallel with one another and bridge 2 channels of my 80004 to 1, which would do 400wrms @ 4 ohms, then mind the gains to send 100+wrms to the dayton 8's......In theory it would work and it doesnt look like the THD would be out of hand..What do you guys think?

squeak9798
01-26-2006, 12:22 PM
I was definately looking at the Dayton RS28 tweets Thinking of them Crossed at about 2k w/6-12DB rolloff. And the 8" mid crossed at 1.6K w/12dbish rolloff

I honestly don't know if those 8's will play cleanly up to 1.6khz. Definitely do more research into that.

.....Also I was thinking what if I was to wire those Dayton 8's in parallel with one another and bridge 2 channels of my 80004 to 1, which would do 400wrms @ 4 ohms, then mind the gains to send 100+wrms to the dayton 8's......In theory it would work and it doesnt look like the THD would be out of hand..What do you guys think?

No, in theory it doesn't work because then your mids would be in mono, not stereo. And that would sound like absolute crap.

CELLERBR
01-26-2006, 12:31 PM
I honestly don't know if those 8's will play cleanly up to 1.6khz. Definitely do more research into that.
I have been reading reviews and info on them that says they play with no audible distortion up to about 2k...At least that is what a lot of people are saying on diyma...

No, in theory it doesn't work because then your mids would be in mono, not stereo. And that would sound like absolute crap.

Yeah I didnt even think about that...I am a *******. Hmmmm...Parts express is supposedly getting the car audio version of the RS series in tomorrow...4ohm VC no shielding ect....Same price....

slain93gsr
01-26-2006, 03:11 PM
tomorrow huh...i've been waiting to see how that turned out. those dayton drivers are hard to beat for the money

loud-n-low
01-26-2006, 03:38 PM
dont horns require tuning quite often (ie,different music types)?

squeak9798
01-26-2006, 03:40 PM
dont horns require tuning quite often (ie,different music types)?

No.

CELLERBR
01-27-2006, 08:13 AM
Horns > Tweeters

More lively. More dynamic. More realistic sounding. More energy.

That's my opinion, atleast.

Well I took your advice and just bought a set of CD1Pro mini horns...They will be paired with a set of Dayton RS225 8" mids (4ohm car version so long as the specs are they same as the 8ohm)............Also bought an Alpine DRE-A500 active crossover (should be more then enough for what I need).....

squeak9798
01-27-2006, 08:32 AM
Good choice.

Installed and tuned correctly, you definitely won't be disappointed.

CELLERBR
01-27-2006, 02:00 PM
Good choice.

Installed and tuned correctly, you definitely won't be disappointed.

I hope not LOL...Oh well I got a good deal on the Horns so I definately had to pick them up. I can't wait to get it all installed. I got a pretty sweet deal on that crossover as well. After I buy the Mids I should still be right around 300ish....:naughty: So if this is as wicked as I hope it is, there would be no other worth even considering...

alphakenny1
01-27-2006, 02:14 PM
oh yea you gotta definately tune. i mean i change my settings all the time just trying to find the right match. why go active and not wanting to tune? thats what active is all about.

where is your crossover going to be located at? i ask this because if its like in the trunk or under your set it might be a pain to tune because you gotta go to the crossover and change the settings, then go back to the HU and tune up the volume, etc etc....

do you have an eq to tune as well?

GSteg
01-27-2006, 04:31 PM
nice choice on horns. Definitely one of the best bang for the buck horns.

The dayton 8" will work fine. It's usable up to about 1.5khz on a 12db/octave slope.

I had my 6" with ~50w RMS using an Arc Audio 2100cxl. They get plenty loud for the average listener out there, but to keep up with your horns and subwoofer, the 8" will do a pretty good job.

Wait for partexpress to release the Dayton in 4ohm without the shielding magnet. They were suppose to receive the shipment today and will be ready to sell soon!

CELLERBR
01-27-2006, 06:10 PM
nice choice on horns. Definitely one of the best bang for the buck horns.

The dayton 8" will work fine. It's usable up to about 1.5khz on a 12db/octave slope.

I had my 6" with ~50w RMS using an Arc Audio 2100cxl. They get plenty loud for the average listener out there, but to keep up with your horns and subwoofer, the 8" will do a pretty good job.

Wait for partexpress to release the Dayton in 4ohm without the shielding magnet. They were suppose to receive the shipment today and will be ready to sell soon!
Yeah I have been reading about the 4ohm model coming out. Unfortunately I had already ordered the 8ohm model a few days ago before I saw the 4 ohm. They came in today my wife said, hopefully they will let me exchange them, if not I am not gonna be too tore up.....One question about the shielding, why remove it? What does it hurt ( other then mounting depth)?

GSteg
01-27-2006, 06:23 PM
nothing really. just mounting depth.

Well who knows, you might have a TV somewhere in your door :D

alphakenny1
01-27-2006, 07:40 PM
yea, only reason why people remove it because of mounting depth. that shield is to protect from interference from a tv or something. remember that mid is made to be in a home, not a car.

CELLERBR
01-27-2006, 10:26 PM
yea, only reason why people remove it because of mounting depth. that shield is to protect from interference from a tv or something. remember that mid is made to be in a home, not a car.

Yeah I was just unsure if there was any other reason people removed it. Mounting depth isnt a real issue for me.

alphakenny1
01-27-2006, 10:35 PM
Yeah I was just unsure if there was any other reason people removed it. Mounting depth isnt a real issue for me.

lucky bastard. i wanted the CA18RNX but mounting depth was too big and thats why i settled with the 73mm mounting depth of the CA18RLY and it barely fit, i mean it barely clears the window. aahh i want more depth!

CELLERBR
01-27-2006, 10:55 PM
lucky bastard. i wanted the CA18RNX but mounting depth was too big and thats why i settled with the 73mm mounting depth of the CA18RLY and it barely fit, i mean it barely clears the window. aahh i want more depth!

Custom door pods would take care of depth issues.....:up2somet:

squeak9798
01-28-2006, 02:16 PM
Yeah I have been reading about the 4ohm model coming out. Unfortunately I had already ordered the 8ohm model a few days ago before I saw the 4 ohm. They came in today my wife said, hopefully they will let me exchange them, if not I am not gonna be too tore up.....One question about the shielding, why remove it? What does it hurt ( other then mounting depth)?

PE has an excellent 45 day return policy ;) You'll be out the return shipping costs, but that's it.

PE's customer service is hands down the greatest. I had some compression drivers that I held onto for about 60 days before I realized I wasn't going to need them, and PE still let me return them for a full refund.

CELLERBR
01-28-2006, 03:43 PM
PE has an excellent 45 day return policy ;) You'll be out the return shipping costs, but that's it.

PE's customer service is hands down the greatest. I had some compression drivers that I held onto for about 60 days before I realized I wasn't going to need them, and PE still let me return them for a full refund.

That is awesome to know!!! I would gladly sport the shipping costs to get those bad boys in 4 ohm! They are pretty sweet little drivers by the way (havent heard them yet but build quality is better then expected!)

CELLERBR
01-29-2006, 10:46 AM
Anyone know of a place to find nice looking speaker grills? I don't really like the standard looking grills (plus the Dayton Reference RS225's look sweet they have a real black anodized aluminium cone). I would like to find something that protects yet shows them off a bit.