PDA

View Full Version : 2ohm V 4ohm speakers

airtas
01-24-2006, 12:09 PM
ok if my RECIEVER is rated @ 22 rms per channel and 50 watts peak X 4

is that rated @ 4 ohms?

if i hook up 2 ohm speakers like infinitys what would the power be?

squeak9798
01-24-2006, 12:13 PM
ok if my RECIEVER is rated @ 22 rms per channel and 50 watts peak X 4

is that rated @ 4 ohms?

Yes (depending on the deck, I doubt you'd actually get a full 22w out of it at 4ohms). .

if i hook up 2 ohm speakers like infinitys what would the power be?

In reality, probably not much more than that rated 22w

Headunit's internal amplifiers weren't designed to provide large amounts of power, especially into low impedance loads.

Double check also. Your headunit's amp may not even be stable into a 2ohm load per channel.

UndercoverPunk
01-24-2006, 12:14 PM
Your headunit's amp may not even be stable into a 2ohm load per channel.

Poof, there goes that magic smoke.

Raven
01-24-2006, 12:15 PM
I've never seen a HU that said it was stable into 2 ohm.

squeak9798
01-24-2006, 12:19 PM

The older Pioneers were.

Hell, in the manual it had a diagram showing you how to bridge the rear two channels to a 4ohm subwoofer, providing a whooping 70w RMS of power.

UndercoverPunk
01-24-2006, 12:22 PM
The older Pioneers were.

Hell, in the manual it had a diagram showing you how to bridge the rear two channels to a 4ohm subwoofer, providing a whooping 70w RMS of power.

:wowflash:

NO WAY!

squeak9798
01-24-2006, 12:23 PM
D00d....Way. Totally.

Never tried it myself though.

UndercoverPunk
01-24-2006, 12:25 PM
D00d....Way. Totally.

Never tried it myself though.

SHA-WING!

airtas
01-24-2006, 01:13 PM
i would need a 4ohm stable amp correct? to hook up the 2 ohm speakers then right?

bibby
01-24-2006, 01:15 PM
no, you would need an amp that could push a two ohm load

Alpineinstaller
01-24-2006, 01:20 PM
i wouldn't do it. as undercover said "poof" is correct. But what do i know, i see people with 12 some odd tweeters hanging from their headliner.

phantom240
01-25-2006, 12:16 AM
they may also be idiots... or the ohm loads on the tweeters may be higher, allowing you to bridge them in a way that it makes a 4 ohm load.. or they could know basic math and how to put the speakers in series of parallel loads so that it all comes out to 4 ohms... math on resistance is weird... but if you do it right, you get mad props from audiophiles around you... considering you successfully hooked up 28 speakers in your car off of a single 4 channel head unit... lol theres a calculator online that shows how to put speakers in parallel and in series and you put in the ohm loads and it spits a number at you... search google for it... hell i even did it for you... go here http://caraudio.biggz.com/downloads/ohmcalculator.html and download that program... youll be happy... youre welcome

Prowler573
01-25-2006, 12:31 AM
they may also be idiots... or the ohm loads on the tweeters may be higher, allowing you to bridge them in a way that it makes a 4 ohm load.. or they could know basic math and how to put the speakers in series of parallel loads so that it all comes out to 4 ohms... math on resistance is weird... but if you do it right, you get mad props from audiophiles around you... considering you successfully hooked up 28 speakers in your car off of a single 4 channel head unit... lol theres a calculator online that shows how to put speakers in parallel and in series and you put in the ohm loads and it spits a number at you... search google for it... hell i even did it for you... go here http://caraudio.biggz.com/downloads/ohmcalculator.html and download that program... youll be happy... youre welcome Yes - because people that consider themselves true audiophiles will be greatly impressed by an install that (a) Is incredibly impractical and (b) sounds like hammered crap (as driving 28 speakers off of a headunit inevitably will regardless of whether or not you got the impendence shown to the deck's internal amp right or not)

airtas
01-26-2006, 11:26 AM
so that 22 rms rating is rated @ 4 ohms

the deck most likely cant power 2ohm speakers

a 2ohm stable amp would power the infinity kappas (would it sound good)

thats my summary am i right or wrong?

airtas
01-26-2006, 11:26 AM
if i have 4 speakers powered by a 4 channel amp and the speakers are 4 ohms will they still recieve power from the head unit or is it just the amp now?

Prowler573
01-26-2006, 11:33 AM
if i have 4 speakers powered by a 4 channel amp and the speakers are 4 ohms will they still recieve power from the head unit or is it just the amp now?
If they are physically connected to an amplifier then they are being powered by that amplifier. The only thing the head unit is doing is providing the source to be amplified. :)

Where are you getting 2 Ohm Infinity Kappa-series speakers, by the way? Or are we talking about a DVC subwoofer?

squeak9798
01-26-2006, 11:37 AM
so that 22 rms rating is rated @ 4 ohms

Yes

the deck most likely cant power 2ohm speakers

Correct

a 2ohm stable amp would power the infinity kappas (would it sound good)

Yes

thats my summary am i right or wrong?

Right

squeak9798
01-26-2006, 11:38 AM

Just the amp.

phantom240
01-26-2006, 04:52 PM
Yes - because people that consider themselves true audiophiles will be greatly impressed by an install that (a) Is incredibly impractical and (b) sounds like hammered crap (as driving 28 speakers off of a headunit inevitably will regardless of whether or not you got the impendence shown to the deck's internal amp right or not)

Didnt catch the sarcasm there did you? oh well...

Raven
01-26-2006, 11:17 PM
It's the internet, sarcasm can be really hard to catch in text form. (In other words, I didn't get it either.)

Honestly, this brings up another question - why don't mainstream companies make DVC 4 ohm comps that you could bridge each side of a HU to? Really, an overly efficient (mid)bassy coaxial with halfway decent tonality off 35-40 watts per side doesn't sound half bad compared to other options.

phantom240
01-27-2006, 01:04 AM
mmm... sounds good on paper, but id rather have sound coming from all corners of the car than from 2 speakers... plus the 2 channels you bridge would have to be matched outputs wouldnt they? Just a thought.

squeak9798
01-27-2006, 09:04 AM
but id rather have sound coming from all corners of the car than from 2 speakers...

And anybody interested in staging and imaging would disagree with that idea......

UndercoverPunk
01-27-2006, 09:43 AM
mmm... sounds good on paper, but id rather have sound coming from all corners of the car than from 2 speakers... plus the 2 channels you bridge would have to be matched outputs wouldnt they? Just a thought.

I'd rather uninstall all of my audio equiptment than do what you're talking about. :crap: :sick:

airtas
01-27-2006, 11:16 AM
If they are physically connected to an amplifier then they are being powered by that amplifier. The only thing the head unit is doing is providing the source to be amplified. :)

Where are you getting 2 Ohm Infinity Kappa-series speakers, by the way? Or are we talking about a DVC subwoofer?
through an infinity program through work

the 6.5 are 2ohms it says

infinity claims they will work with all decks grrr

airtas
01-27-2006, 11:22 AM
thanks guys for helping this n00b dud