PDA

View Full Version : Unhappy with Components.

drzenitram
01-23-2006, 11:44 PM
Okay. I drive a 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse. I have front 6.5" speakers and rear 6" speakers.

They sounded much cleaner and much louder than these Rainbow Dream Line 5 1/4" comps.

My stock speakers had 20w each.

These have 125.

Yes, the imaging is better, but I'm very much unhappy with my $500 spent(q-logic kickpanels, ed nine.2, dream line comps).

Stock = louder and cleaner.

Could it be something I'm doing wrong? Yes, I'm running front stage only.

XtrmAudioCncpts
01-23-2006, 11:47 PM
mod you kickpanels... inclose the back with fiberglass and then deaden them. you will be happier that way im sure

3.5Max6spd
01-23-2006, 11:49 PM
q logics = shyt

why downgrade to 5.25's? to fit'm in those shiddy kicks?

Try them on a baffle door mounted, the way intended or as mentioned work with the kicks-solidify them, mount a mdf baffle underneath and deaden the shyt out of them.

drzenitram
01-23-2006, 11:51 PM
Yes. I downgraded to put them in the kicks. I wanted better imaging and I didn't want to take apart my door because I'm afraid I won't get it back on looking good.

I also don't know how to do glass and honestly don't think I'd be willing to try.

drzenitram
01-23-2006, 11:52 PM
And yes, I have them deadened twice over with the speakers screwed into a 1/4" mdf baffle UNDER the plastic for support. I also have polyfill stuffed underneath them.

maldecido33
01-24-2006, 12:02 AM
make sure everything is crossed over right

drzenitram
01-24-2006, 12:06 AM
Define "crossed over right."

theCybe
01-24-2006, 02:07 AM
make sure everything is crossed over right

Good call.
http://www.bcae1.com/xovrslop.htm
http://www.bcae1.com/elecxovr.htm
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/speaker8.htm

all about crossovers.

Towncar
01-24-2006, 10:18 AM
If you properly seal off those q logic kicks right, then they can sound real good. You have to do a bit of moding to them, because they are a bit flimsy.

drzenitram
01-24-2006, 10:30 AM
Okay, I understand that. Now, for the time that I do have my 5 1/8" Rainbow SLX's, what should I cross them over at?

It seems that my amplifier's crossover(nine.2) isn't giving me many options, and my HU(kenwood mp-4028) isn't giving me much help either.

3.5Max6spd
01-24-2006, 10:56 AM
Okay, I understand that. Now, for the time that I do have my 5 1/8" Rainbow SLX's, what should I cross them over at?

It seems that my amplifier's crossover(nine.2) isn't giving me many options, and my HU(kenwood mp-4028) isn't giving me much help either.

the highest you could xover that 5" under those circumstances would be 100-125hz and up...meaning you wont get jack for midbass output from them

Qlogic kicks work fine to se the drivers for highs (midrange and tweets) because those drivers dont require much airspace to cover those ranges. But for midbass duty you need a solid platform with airspace(door)or a sealed enclosure to play lower with authority.

My suggestion? Keep the kicks, stop being scared of removing a door panel for goodness sakes and buy yourself some killer 6.5" midbass drivers...you''ll convert to soft 2way setup into a nice 3way setup...

El Ropo
01-24-2006, 11:00 AM

RTFM for your HU:

http://kenwood.nl.nt.ims.hr/languages/US/support/manuals/OM-KDC-MP4028-2005-KUSA.pdf

Look at page 10 under audio setup.

In there, it explains how to set the xovers in your HU. I'd suggest setting the highpass to 80 or 100 with those comps. Then set the lowpass (assuming you ARE using seperate RCA cables for front and sub out) at around 60 or 80 respectively. I don't trust xovers on amps to be accurate, unless they're digital. The xover on the Nine.2 is analog.

tRiGgEr
01-24-2006, 11:12 AM
Then set the lowpass (assuming you ARE using seperate RCA cables for front and sub out) at around 60 or 80 respectively.
I hope you mean for the sub.

I doubt 125 watts is not as loud as your stock on the radio. Even in a half *** Q-logic kick pod. As mentioned midbass is going to be near non exsistant. And you can't expect amazing sound without a little work. You're going to have to take the door off.

johnson
01-24-2006, 11:15 AM
I don't trust xovers on amps to be accurate, unless they're digital. The xover on the Nine.2 is analog.

Crossover should be set to where it blends in with your other speakers.

drzenitram
01-24-2006, 01:38 PM
I hope you mean for the sub.

I doubt 125 watts is not as loud as your stock on the radio. Even in a half *** Q-logic kick pod. As mentioned midbass is going to be near non exsistant. And you can't expect amazing sound without a little work. You're going to have to take the door off.

The speakers are rated for 40rms, 60peak. I'm giving them 125 with my gains way, way down. I cannot get the two front speakers to be as loud as the four original speakers without distortion.

Should it be like that? Could it be my ground or something?

drzenitram
01-24-2006, 01:47 PM
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-364
DAYTON RS180S-8 7" REFERENCE SERIES SHIELDED WOOFER

Would a 7" dayton ref be a good choice for midbass in my doors?

If I'm correct I'd mount it into an MDF baffle and screw the baffle into the metal of the door, then surround it with hardening clay and sound dampen the rest of the door?

And, will breaking off the magnet really not have that much effect on it?

Also, my rainbows came with a lame little crossover. It's only for the tweeter and it's just a small (1x2")box with wires out of both ends. To hook up a third speaker I'd just put the third wire into the + and - of my amp with the other two wires?

3.5Max6spd
01-24-2006, 01:59 PM

If I'm correct I'd mount it into an MDF baffle and screw the baffle into the metal of the door, then surround it with hardening clay and sound dampen the rest of the door?

Also, my rainbows came with a lame little crossover. It's only for the tweeter and it's just a small (1x2")box with wires out of both ends. To hook up a third speaker I'd just put the third wire into the + and - of my amp with the other two wires?

to run an additional pair of mids requires 2 more chs of amplifier

drzenitram
01-24-2006, 02:01 PM
So I need a new amplifier if I want to run 3way. So it won't just be $80 more, it'll be $300 more?

Mr. Opportunist
01-24-2006, 02:02 PM
speaker does nothing w/o a magnet :eyebrow:

johnson
01-24-2006, 02:08 PM
You want NON hardening clay.

drzenitram
01-24-2006, 02:11 PM
speaker does nothing w/o a magnet :eyebrow:

There was a tutorial on removing the magnets from rev series drivers, I thought it was because it didn't affect them much.

theCybe
01-24-2006, 02:15 PM
The one I'm thinking you're thinking of is where the guy removed the shielding and bucking magnet;

I googled, but I didn't find the thread.

Purpose was to reduce mounting depth, as the sheilding was unnecessary.

theCybe
01-24-2006, 02:16 PM
got it; http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/showthread.php?threadid=102884

bass_lover1
01-24-2006, 02:30 PM

I've heard nothing but great things about those drivers...if I didn't already have 6.5 mids, this go 'round, the Daytons would be my choice for my front active setup.

You could probably get away w/o doing the clay (I did) but deadening is probably a good idea.

You aren't taking the motor off the speaker, you're taking off the shielding magnet (so it can no longer be used near TVs) but in a car, that doesn't matter...plus you lose a lot of mounting depth that way.

To do a 3-way setup, you'll either need a good 3-4 way external cross over...or a good amp w/ built in x-overs. FYI, now you're going to need 6 channels of amplification to do this...I suggest a good 4 channel for the mids, then a smaller 2 channel for the tweeters.

slain93gsr
01-24-2006, 04:36 PM
those dayton rs 180 are really nice did a set up with the dayton rs tweeter awhile back.

tRiGgEr
01-24-2006, 04:40 PM
Should it be like that? Could it be my ground or something?

Not a ground. But I am guessing it is the install. Either the Pods or your crossover EQ settings. Have you checked the phaze?

phantom240
01-25-2006, 01:07 AM
sounds like you may have a bad signal or something... ive heard a lot of times that when ppl change out their stock HU for aftermarket, it doesnt sound as good, but thats because the factory system is made to compliment each other... if you throw out part of the balance it sounds like shyt... did you always have the kenwood unit in the car? just asking... trying to think, but theres a lot of crap that could be the problem...

drzenitram
01-25-2006, 01:10 AM
Well, I've tried reversing the polarity and all. I set my crossovers and I'm just going to live with it until I decide to buy new 2-ways and install them in my door.

How good is the factory tweeter location on my car?(Dash pointing towards the glass but angled slightly towards me) 1999 eclipse.

Would it be unwise to put the 6.5" speaker in my door and the tweet on the dash?