PDA

View Full Version : Digital Optical outputs, where are they?

stones
01-23-2006, 03:41 PM
I'm curious as to why the car audio industry hasn't taken advantage Digital optical interconnects?. Home theater systems have been using them for years and the technology is not that expensive.
Wouldn't Optical interconnects be far superior to conventional RCA's?, zero noise, perfect signal transfer.
If a company were to start using Digital Optical interconnects on their HU's and amplifiers I would easily pay an extra 100 bucks for it.

Your thoughts people.

DBfan187
01-23-2006, 03:45 PM
several HU's use digital outputs. Where the hell have you been?

stones
01-23-2006, 03:54 PM
Drinkin under a rock in the great white north.
Whichs one are those and is what amps can use them?.

DBfan187
01-23-2006, 03:57 PM
Eclipse
Alpine
Clarion
Nak

only amp I know of right now is Zapco.

stones
01-23-2006, 04:04 PM
Good to know, thanks:)
So I figure if I wait a few years this tech should trickle down to the cheaper stuff, that would be nice.

squeak9798
01-23-2006, 04:14 PM
Wouldn't Optical interconnects be far superior to conventional RCA's?, zero noise, perfect signal transfer.

IIRC, digital co-axial is typically a better option over optical for long runs, such as those that would be typical in a car. That's trying to go from memory though.

theCybe
01-23-2006, 04:18 PM
Quite a few headunits have them, and if you use a carputer there are inexpensive soundcards with S/PDIF (or other opticals);

I'd gamble that rather than look for an amplifier with a female optical connect, your time/money is better spent grabbing a processor with one. :)

squeak9798
01-23-2006, 04:20 PM
your time/money is better spent grabbing a processor with one. :)

Alpine H701 has 3 Toslink inputs :up2somet:

stones
01-23-2006, 04:33 PM
Ideally I would like to see a company replace RCA's completely on their HU's and amps so instead of pluging in RCA's you plug in Digital optical cables.

But this raises more questions.
Since the signal is now a fully digital flashing beam of light is clipping of the signal at the HU still possible?
Does the amplifier still need an input sensitivity adjustment since signal voltage is no longer an issue?.

MegaHurtz
01-24-2006, 07:16 PM
I think part of the reason that you don't see more optical in a car is because there can be problems with sharp bends, or with cables getting pinched under panels. I think the reason that we primarily see them only on rare and high end equipment is because the only people that will be using it are the ones that know how to.

MetalMaxima
01-25-2006, 08:10 AM
IIRC, digital co-axial is typically a better option over optical for long runs, such as those that would be typical in a car. That's trying to go from memory though.

You're correct. You're going to be hard pressed to find an optical wire >2m

FE3T
01-25-2006, 09:18 AM

Your nearest Alpine dealer should be able too get you 5m wires
One of these connects my 7969 with an PRA-H400

makdaddy
01-29-2006, 09:36 PM
Ideally I would like to see a company replace RCA's completely on their HU's and amps so instead of pluging in RCA's you plug in Digital optical cables.

But this raises more questions.
Since the signal is now a fully digital flashing beam of light is clipping of the signal at the HU still possible?
Does the amplifier still need an input sensitivity adjustment since signal voltage is no longer an issue?.

The other issue with optics is a clean environment , optics dont like dirt

adam71
01-29-2006, 11:25 PM
Pioneer ODR is a complete Optical digital system. Been around for years. Still bad ***.:)

adam71
01-29-2006, 11:45 PM

The P9 combo is designed to be able to mount the DEQ processor in the trunk. Therefore this would be the exception to that rule.

squeak9798
01-30-2006, 04:14 PM

Not really all that hard:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=180-950

That's almost 4m.

I was speaking more in terms of jitter and such, digital co-ax is a slightly better option over optical IIRC.

adam71
01-30-2006, 04:32 PM
Not really all that hard:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=180-950

That's almost 4m.

I was speaking more in terms of jitter and such, digital co-ax is a slightly better option over optical IIRC.

I've used optical and coaxial digital cables in Home Theater for a long time and I've always liked the sound and convenience of coaxial much better. Not having to worry about whether its looped or not makes for an easier, care free install. Now I use neither of these now that I use DenonLink. Much nicer and it takes the place of having to use 6 analog rca cables for multi channel music.;)

SQChevy
02-02-2006, 03:04 PM
A lot of head units don't have optical is because a lot of people don't care. They don't want optical and see no reason for it. They don't notice a difference so why spend the extra money. 2nd currently if you want optical it has to be going to a processor and then it goes from there through RCA's to the amps. Off the top of my head I can't think of any amps that use optical and they would have to create entirely seperate changes to amps to allow for that. Unless the demand is high enough why spend the money and effort to do it.