PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse BLA

FoxPro5
01-21-2006, 03:41 PM
So I picked up the BLA (Eclipse 37601 balanced line adapter) for my 8053 and I have a couple of q's;

1) Does it matter where the BLA goes in-line between the HU and the amps. To eliminate the need for 6 pairs of rca's, I was just going to use male-male couplers like these (http://"http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:112&item=5854750856&id=&sasel=') and put the BLA behind the HU. But then I was thinking that the 9' run from the BLA to my amps would then introduce noise. What are your thoughts?

3) The BLA has 6 sets of +/- rca L & R inputs for the nonfader, front and rear which I understand connect to the 8053's preouts. But it also has a L & R output and two pairs of RCA pig tails that have male RCA ends that are labled Front and Rear. I assume these RCAs go to my amps? What if I have 3 amps to run? And what is the output for?:eyebrow:

2) What about running the BLA and the symbilink system BOTH in the signal path for my Zapco?? Overkill??

squeak9798
01-21-2006, 03:50 PM
So I picked up the BLA (Eclipse 37601 balanced line adaptor) for my 8053 and I have a couple of q's;

1) Does it matter where the BLA goes in-line between the HU and the amps. To eliminate the need for 6 pairs of rca's, I was just going to use male-male couplers like these (http://"http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:112&item=5854750856&id=&sasel=') and put the BLA behind the HU. But then I was thinking that the 9' run from the BLA to my amps would then introduce noise. What are your thoughts?

That you would be completely and utterly wasting the use of the BLA if you placed it behind the HU. The whole purpose behind it is so that you run balanced signal through the length of your vehicle, only switching to unbalanced right before input to the amplifiers.

If you were going to put it behind the HU, you might as well not even use it.

2) What about running the BLA and the symbilink system BOTH in the signal path for my Zapco?? Overkill??

Not necessary. The symbalink system is simply a balanced signal, and the BLA is to convert the balanced outputs of the 8053 down to unbalanced outputs for amps that don't directly accept balanced inputs.

No use in running the BLA to convert the balanced signal to unbalanced just for the Zapco system to convert it back to balanced.

djman37
01-21-2006, 03:51 PM
i thought you were supposed to run balanced outta the HU back to the BLA to eliminate picking up noise on the way back, then convert it down as the signal goes into unbalanced RCAs, or straight into a select few amps.

FoxPro5
01-21-2006, 03:59 PM
i thought you were supposed to run balanced outta the HU back to the BLA to eliminate picking up noise on the way back, then convert it down as the signal goes into unbalanced RCAs, or straight into a select few amps.

Here we go:D

So Squeak, how does one know if an amp accepts a balanced signal? Or is this every amp accept Zapco (or at least that's all I can think of)

And I understand now about the BLA to Symbilink - it would be analogous to stepping one foot forward and one foot back at the same time, right?

squeak9798
01-21-2006, 04:10 PM

So Squeak, how does one know if an amp accepts a balanced signal? Or is this every amp accept Zapco (or at least that's all I can think of)

Some do some don't. Not many currently in product do. Zapco's are all that I can think of off hand. And even then Zapco's require +/- 15V input along with the balanced signal (which is part of the Symbalink system) IIRC. So you can't just send a balanced input to them, you have to use the symbalink system.

But for those that do, it's pretty obvious. They'll either have dual RCA inputs per channel (4 instead of 2), or they'll have mini-Din or XLR inputs (for example) aswell.

For example, my Coustic DR amplifiers and Soundstream Rubicons both directly accept balanced inputs. I could run the balanced outs from my Eclipse 8053 directly into my amplifiers without needing to use the BLA. The Coustic's have dual RCA inputs per channel, and the Rubicon has a mini-Din input.

Oh...and my PG EQ232 could both accept and output balanced signals.

And I understand now about the BLA to Symbilink - it would be analogous to stepping one foot forward and one foot back at the same time, right?

Sort of. It would just be unnecessary redunancy. Just place the Symbalink transmitters close to the HU, and you'll run balanced all through the vehicle. No point in spending the :greedy: on the BLA to convert balanced to unbalanced, just to input it into the Symbalink system when you could just run unbalanced directly out of the HU to the Symbalink system.

ngsm13
01-21-2006, 04:30 PM
Squeak,doesn't the BLA step the HU up to 16v Balanced inputs. It sums the Positive/Negative for each the front, rear, non-fader...and output 3 pairs of balanced 16v?

I used to own an 8053 along with the BLA...and that used to be my understanding...but then again this was about 2.5-3 years ago.

NG

squeak9798
01-21-2006, 04:33 PM
Squeak,doesn't the BLA step the HU up to 16v Balanced inputs. It sums the Positive/Negative for each the front, rear, non-fader...and output 3 pairs of balanced 16v?

Yes, it would be 16V into the BLA, but 8V back out of the BLA I believe. If you were to run those balanced inputs from the 8053 directly into an amplifier, then the amp would recieve the full 16V.

FoxPro5
01-21-2006, 04:33 PM
3) The BLA has 6 sets of +/- rca L & R inputs for the nonfader, front and rear which I understand connect to the 8053's preouts. But it also has a L & R output and two pairs of RCA pig tails that have male RCA ends that are labled Front and Rear. I assume these RCAs go to my amps? What if I have 3 amps to run? And what is the output for?:eyebrow:

So the front and rear pig tail preouts are for the front and rear channels, right? And the output is for the nonfader? I guess I'm confused b/c on the 8053 it's Hi/Mid/Nonfader. Here's a picture of it if you don't know what I am talking about (it's on page 4).

http://cartoys.com/cartoy/pdfs/Eclipse_cd_manual.pdf

JLCivic
01-22-2006, 01:41 PM

The Eclipse BLA makes it so you can use the balanced outs with any amp(not just those advertised to accept balanced lines).

The BLA should be near the amps, not the deck afaik.

Prowler573
01-22-2006, 02:32 PM
:fyi: Squeakster - both of my eXcelon amps accept a balanced input provided the source has a balanced output. There is a switch to choose between balanced or unbalannced input mode next to the RCA ports and you use the pass-through outputs if in balanced input mode rather than there being another set of RCA ports (for the pos and neg inut per channel) altogether.

squeak9798
01-23-2006, 09:08 AM
:fyi: Squeakster - both of my eXcelon amps accept a balanced input provided the source has a balanced output. There is a switch to choose between balanced or unbalannced input mode next to the RCA ports and you use the pass-through outputs if in balanced input mode rather than there being another set of RCA ports (for the pos and neg inut per channel) altogether.

Interesting. I didn't know the Kenwoods accepted balanced inputs. The Kenwood decks don't have balanced outputs, do they?

Prowler573
01-23-2006, 09:32 AM
Interesting. I didn't know the Kenwoods accepted balanced inputs. The Kenwood decks don't have balanced outputs, do they?None of the current models do and I do not recall any of the older ones having them either. Must have been in an effort to draw buyers away from the circles that would normally buy a different echelon of amp than a (Oh, No!) KENWOOD!

I went and drug out one of my backup amps, an older KAC-PS300T 2 channel (one of the earliest eXcelon amps before they were marked as eXcelons) to show you a pic of what I was talking about:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/prowler573/DSCF0069.jpg

FoxPro5
01-27-2006, 07:22 PM
Well I just installed the adapter and will find out how it sounds after I hook both of my amps up to it. I would suggest to anyone wanting to do this to use as thin, but well shielded RCA's that you can get because the mass of wire running through your car will be ridiculous! My center console is now pleasently plup with RCA wire :)

FoxPro5
01-27-2006, 09:18 PM
Ok I got it all, yes all hooked up now :rolleyes: And my first impression: ****!! This does make a noticeable difference. I definately hear more of my music than before....it's more full sounding - almost like I have rear speakers now. This is in addition to running a Zapco Competition series running balanced with the symbilink system.

It might be a self-fulfilling prophecy, but who cares my music is more alive now :cool: