PDA

View Full Version : Help with pro60

MIN_Roadkill
01-21-2006, 12:49 AM
I just got my comps installed and the midbass blows ***. It sounds ok at low volumes but anything over 50% volume and they sound like there is wave cancellation. The midbass goes from punch to plunk. I have a 95 bronco with the mids in factory locations and tweets about 8" back and 1" up. Here is all of the info I can think of at the moment.
Pioneer premier 860mp (havent played much with the settings on it).
Boston pro60 (mid set to component and tweet set to 0db)
Pg 200.2 ( Hi=off Lo=off Bass boost=turned all the way down gain=28.8)
Sub info
3 Shocker Xtreme 15" (24cube box tuned to 32hz)
3 lanzar vibe 1200d (1.2ohm load on each subsonic=25 lo= around 60 gain=37.9)
Here is pics of the drivers door deadening job. Passenger was done the same way.

http://webpages.charter.net/min_roadkill/audio/1.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/min_roadkill/audio/2.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/min_roadkill/audio/3.jpg

I have a 1/4' gap in the window seal from aging and wonder if that could be the problem. I can build a sealed enclosure inside of the door if that would help. I have no idea what to try next. Any help is greatly appreciated.

squeak9798
01-21-2006, 09:09 AM
Where's your highpass for the mids set to ?

And does one of the mids have their polarity reversed?

MIN_Roadkill
01-22-2006, 01:24 AM
Polarity isn't reversed on either.
I am a noob at this, should I set the highpass at the deck or the amp?

MIN_Roadkill
01-22-2006, 03:25 AM
After alot more reading I now know that the passive crossovers don't have any highpass at all. I was unaware of that and now know that that was my midbass problem here. So now with more knowledge comes more questions.
As asked above, is it better to set highpass at the deck or the amp?
What would be a good starting point for crossover points and slopes with my setup? I am using the passive crossovers with the pro60 so I only need other settings.
The sup amp slope is 24db and the mid amp slope is either 18 or 24.
The deck slope can be set between 6,12 or 18.

iceteebone
01-22-2006, 11:44 AM
it doesn't matter which deck or amp, but generally it's easier to get your desired setting on a headunit then an amp. i personally like a steeper slope but it's up to you. generally you should high pass 70-80 hz.

MIN_Roadkill
01-22-2006, 08:23 PM
Ok I got everything set but still have problems. I have my subs at 80hz with a slope of 24. I have to set my mids all the way up to 150 with a slope of 12 in order to get rid of the crap bass sound. Any ideas?

squeak9798
01-23-2006, 08:49 AM
I have to set my mids all the way up to 150 with a slope of 12 in order to get rid of the crap bass sound. Any ideas?

There is either something wrong with the speakers, or something wrong with your install if you need to highpass those mids at 150hz.

Try a steeper slope and a lower xover frequency though.

slain93gsr
01-23-2006, 04:28 PM
When i had my pro 6.5's i set the hp at 65hz with a 24db slope. They played a good amount of midbass esp when i went active, but thats a different story ie( went to a bigger 4 channel amp)

forgot to ask how many watts does that pg amp put out for your comps ? those bostons i know are a bit power hungry

MIN_Roadkill
01-23-2006, 09:42 PM
It puts out 200w each. I don't think it is an underpowered problem (although they could use more).
Ology asked if I had plexiglassed the large openings which I skipped. He thinks the deadener is flexing and cancelling out the wave. I will tear it back down and fill in those holes in the next few days.
Even with the bad crossover point, these Bostons flat out rock, and the 860mp autoeq is a nice feature that put the stage right at my head.

Bake
01-30-2006, 10:42 PM
I doubt the mat is flexing enough to cause any serious problems. You can usually play those speakers down into the 60's by just dropping them in some doors or kicks. That mat shoud be sufficient. I haven't seen you mention how the gains are set on your amp. Are you sure you aren't overdriving the amp causing them to sound like ***?