PDA

View Full Version : Which head units offer built in Hard drives?

Stubbs
01-20-2006, 11:14 PM
I have seen a few but I can't seem to find anywhere that lists which ones do and don't. I figure you guys must know.

Stubbs
01-21-2006, 12:23 PM
Wow I guess no one here knows, too bad as this is an important option to me. And if Eclipse offers one don't bother mentioning it, I went to several shows around here and all the dealers and owners said the same thing, great sound, iffy quality, I want something that will last for 5 years not 2. Besides the displays are about the ugliest I have ever seen.

CELLERBR
01-21-2006, 12:32 PM
Sony makes one with a 10GB hard drive. I will have to look up the model.

CELLERBR
01-21-2006, 12:39 PM
It is the MEX 1HD here is a Refurb (as it is a discontinued model and I did not see a new version on Sony's website) one on Ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-MEX-1HD-Car-CD-MP3-Radio-Player-10GB-Hard-Drive-HD_W0QQitemZ5855966643QQcategoryZ39753QQssPageName ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Stubbs
01-21-2006, 12:41 PM
Thanks, I will check it out.

punkrocka436
01-21-2006, 12:59 PM
if you can wait, alpine is making a USB interface for their head units that allow one to use music from their memory stick and what not. You could plug anywhere from a 256 meg flash drive in there, to probably a 400 gig external hard drive. Check out the alpine website

Stubbs
01-21-2006, 01:01 PM
punkrocka436 Thats what I'm talking about! Wow that would be AMAZING! Off to Alpines site I go. I have an Alpine unit now and love it.

saywhat?
01-21-2006, 01:17 PM
Wow I guess no one here knows, too bad as this is an important option to me. And if Eclipse offers one don't bother mentioning it, I went to several shows around here and all the dealers and owners said the same thing, great sound, iffy quality, I want something that will last for 5 years not 2. Besides the displays are about the ugliest I have ever seen.

eclipse has iffy quality? LMMFAO! hahahahahahaha dealers will say whatever they want so u dont buy what they dont sell. the screens and appearance as a whole is bad *** IMO, i love every eclipse i've ever owned, being thats all i've owned. i've owned LOW END eclipse and NEVER had build quality problems, or anything. thats a joke that you say eclipse has shoddy build quality.

saywhat?
01-21-2006, 01:20 PM
my friends have hada pioneer/panasonic/alpine/sony/jensen/everything flashy as well. NOTHING! has ever come close feel wise and user friendly wise, as my eclipse units. i will not buy anything BUT eclipse, matter of fact i may just send crutchfield 700 dollars this weekend for that new CD-7000

theCybe
01-21-2006, 01:48 PM
Some of the Clarions have 'music catcher' which is good for a bit of music. (not gigs.)

You could use it for burp-tones, or phase checking, ..

Stubbs
01-21-2006, 01:57 PM
Well they had display models of the Eclipses out, didn't like em, many many people saw me looking and shook their head no, and said "do what you want but I wouldn't buy it" One guy said after buying 5 Eclipses in 6 years he is done, never will buy another, he said he's had it with their crappy construction and HORRIBLE customer service, he said that they don't want to hear anything, you broke it and tough(that is when he said he could even find anyone who spoke english.) That doesn't sound like a company I want to hand over 700 bucks to. Say what you want but I interacted with a lot of people and EVERYONE felt this way. I work in the car industry and went to SEMA 2 years ago and that is the first time I heard of Eclipse, every dealer I spoke to said that they were for kids and aimed at the "gadget" crowd, lots of bells, whistles, and lights and not a penny into quality, one dealer even told me to buy Radio Shack because I would be better off. So trash talk me all you want but a few kids on the internet say one thing and about 50+ professional radio people say the exact opposite.........................who do you believe?

adam71
01-21-2006, 02:29 PM
Well, I'm not really sure why all those guys told you that but Eclipse makes some of the best decks on the market. I personally do NOT like the look of the 05 models but they sound very good. Eclipse is right up at the top of the pack in SQ with all the decks in its price range. I'm a Pioneer man myself and always have liked their looks, sound and build quality.

Its YOUR money and you can spend it however you want as you're the one that will have to live with it. Just remember that you should judge for yourself and NOT so much what others say.

But to answer your original question:

Pioneer once made a deck with an internal hard drive. Maybe you could find one of these slightly used. I always liked this deck but never had a use for it since it wasn't meant for absolute SQ. But a nice little deck none the less.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4039_37868,00.html

adam71
01-21-2006, 02:34 PM
Oh and look at this, I found one on Ebay for less than $400. The MSRP on those were over 2 grand. But there is only 7 hours left on this auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-DEH-P90HDD-Car-CD-MP3-Player-w-10GB-Hard-Drive_W0QQitemZ5852996654QQcategoryZ39752QQssPageN ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

danteBirosel
01-21-2006, 02:38 PM
Oh and look at this, I found one on Ebay for less than $400. The MSRP on those were over 2 grand. But there is only 7 hours left on this auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-DEH-P90HDD-Car-CD-MP3-Player-w-10GB-Hard-Drive_W0QQitemZ5852996654QQcategoryZ39752QQssPageN ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

OMFG!!! that is one hella of a headunit. i guess ill be saving up.

danteBirosel
01-25-2006, 11:47 PM
anymore harddrive headunits out there??

-Dante

DiamondFanatic
01-25-2006, 11:50 PM
Sony also makes a new one with the "giga-panel" faceplate. 1GB flash memory in the faceplate, I forget the exact model number but they sell it at www.crutchfield.com for $299 right now. New '06 model.

danteBirosel
01-26-2006, 03:09 PM
no, im not a big fan with the sony lineup, so is there anymore that i can look forwrd to?

concept11253
01-26-2006, 09:37 PM
Clarion offers the N.I.C.E. navi system that has a 20gb harddrive. Might be useful if you get lost alot.

danteBirosel
01-26-2006, 09:42 PM
i think i might just wait a while till the price drops a bit and lean towards that pioneer. :yummy:

because i was thinking about getting an IPOD. but why get an ipod when u can get a built in harddrive headunit?

kpr10is
01-27-2006, 07:54 PM
Well they had display models of the Eclipses out, didn't like em, many many people saw me looking and shook their head no, and said "do what you want but I wouldn't buy it" One guy said after buying 5 Eclipses in 6 years he is done, never will buy another, he said he's had it with their crappy construction and HORRIBLE customer service, he said that they don't want to hear anything, you broke it and tough(that is when he said he could even find anyone who spoke english.) That doesn't sound like a company I want to hand over 700 bucks to. Say what you want but I interacted with a lot of people and EVERYONE felt this way. I work in the car industry and went to SEMA 2 years ago and that is the first time I heard of Eclipse, every dealer I spoke to said that they were for kids and aimed at the "gadget" crowd, lots of bells, whistles, and lights and not a penny into quality, one dealer even told me to buy Radio Shack because I would be better off. So trash talk me all you want but a few kids on the internet say one thing and about 50+ professional radio people say the exact opposite.........................who do you believe?
LMAO thanks for the laugh stubbs.

6spdcoupe
01-27-2006, 09:06 PM

Absolutely No clue why these people would feed you this crap. Totally false from my experience and that of Many others. I am also in the car business in fact been a dealer for Eclipse for the closer end of about a decade. And never have I heard comments like these. With the exception of one with some issues. Customer service has been nothing but top notch for me as well as my customers. Buy from Fleabay, then yea your gonna have CS issues as theyre not going to support an unauthorized sale.

Appearance wise? Not an issue to me. Am I fan? Not really, but I am one of function > form. If you want pretty dolphins to look at than thats your perogative, go for it.

Now thinking of it..."iffy quality" but comes with a Three year warranty. WHo else is offering that on their so called superior units? Why would a company with not so up to par products offer a warranty on something bound to break?

I love these "I heard", "I was told" posts.....

937DYTBOI
01-27-2006, 09:12 PM
Eclipse

foxracing8085
01-27-2006, 09:41 PM
The new higher end alpines plays dvd/r's, the average dvd/r had 4.7 gigs of memory.