PDA

View Full Version : Kenwood guys help please.

twistedtrik
01-19-2006, 09:04 PM
I have had a Kenwood eXcelon kdc-ps907 sitting here for awhile. It needed a small part which I was able to find on partsstore.com. I also ordered a new remote for it from there as well. Part is in and the HU works great, but the remote does nothing:crying: . I have heard that when using a new remote they have to be programmed to that deck. Is this true and how do you do it:eyebrow: ? I want to install this but I don't want to put it in without the remote working. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.:)

Prowler573
01-19-2006, 09:13 PM
I have no direct experience with that particular model (it is one of the 'dead heads', right? No internal amp at all - only preamp outputs?) but in my experience any Kenwood remote control will control any Kenwood remote-capable deck.

I still use a credit card-type remote that I bought with a KRC-608 cassette receiver (the deck is remote capable but wasn't factory-supplied with one so I purchased the remote on the side to go with it) because it has direct function access (dedicated buttons for Tuner, CD, Cassette, CD changer/Aux input) rather than having to scroll through every function with the 'source' button. It has operated every head unit I have owned following the one I bought it for.

I would suggest that while putting that PS907 back together you covered or damaged the IR receiving eye somehow and it isn't registering the inputs from the remote. Never heard of having to program one to it....

twistedtrik
01-19-2006, 09:19 PM
Well that is what is bugging me. It has preouts and front and rear speaker wires but doesn't seem to have any power from them. The credit card remote is the one I bought. I e-mailed Kenwood to see if they had any ideas. We will see.

Prowler573
01-19-2006, 09:27 PM
Well that is what is bugging me. It has preouts and front and rear speaker wires but doesn't seem to have any power from them. The credit card remote is the one I bought. I e-mailed Kenwood to see if they had any ideas. We will see.
Well, it would use the same wiring harness as the rest of Kenwood's HUs in keeping with streamlining the manufacturing process but the pins for speaker output in the rear of the deck's chassis where the harness attaches may never carry current - or even be present at all. Like I said - I have no direct experience with that model but if memory serves the year it came out it was THE best head unit Kenwood built at the time.

What's the model of your remote? Mine is a KCA-R6A. I have found throughout the years that I have had this remote that once the battery starts getting weak the remote starts acting funny - intermittently choosing to not work or just not working at all. Try replacing the battery, maybe, and see if the problem goes away?

Edit: I hope e-mailing Kenwood directly helps as it seems I am at a loss here - but keep your chin up and don't give up yet...every time I have ever emailed them about anything I always received a real response with an actual answer to what I asked within 48 hours.

twistedtrik
01-19-2006, 09:47 PM
The remote is brand new. I checked the battery and it showed 3.4 volts (3volt battery). I checked the manual that I downloaded and it shows no front outputs at all in the wiring diagram. So I am assuming that is why there is no output, they aren't supposed to be there. I am going to grab my other remote and try that battery just in case. Thanks for the input.