PDA

View Full Version : Foam behind speakers in doors..

kingsxman
01-19-2006, 05:13 PM
Can you use that spongy shipping foam that comes with electronic devices (pink stuff) in the doors? I have not seen teh expensive cell foam..so I dont know how close this is. Supposedly you just want to stop the back wave...

'I've got a bunch of that foam from the boxes of some network cards that I just installed. Just wondering how close it is to the expensive cell foam.

Also, how many people use it in general? I put some cheap walmart seat cushion foam behind one speaker and it sounded TERRIBLE. Much better when I moved foam over to side of door and used it to more or less make the area behind the speaker in the door smaller.

JimJ
01-19-2006, 05:14 PM
Unless you're certain it's closed cell foam, I wouldn't put it behind the speakers.

Using open cell foam will trap moisture and eventually lead to a quick rusting of your door panels.

tRiGgEr
01-19-2006, 05:19 PM
And it will start to smell bad.

I would not recommend it.

ramos
01-19-2006, 05:27 PM
Well give it the soak test. Stick it in some water. If it absorbs the water it's not what your after . :)

kingsxman
01-19-2006, 06:14 PM
Excellent!! I had no idea what the difference in closed cell and open cell foam was.

I guess the real question is does one sound any different over the other?