PDA

View Full Version : Tuning Question

WillyG4444
01-19-2006, 01:54 AM
I'm installing CDT HD62 6.5" components for my front stage and they are going to be powered by a 9.2X at 200wrmsx2, and I was planning on not having a sub for a while, so that isn't an option at the moment no matter what sub.

What I was wondering is how low can I set the highpass on the mids? I mean if I set them at 70 hz highpass I won't be able to hear the bass in a lot of songs I listen to. Is it really not safe to set them low? I guess if it can hit the bass note in freek a leek I'll be content.

If it's not good to let mids play lower why is that? Why can stock components play low and it's not safe to set these low? Thanks for the help.

alphakenny1
01-19-2006, 02:04 AM
are you actively running this set?

i mean most mids aren't able to play below 50hz or so. if you are actively tuning these, just try it out and see how it sounds.

edit: actually reading your post again i see that cannot actively run this set because you have a two channel amp, so how are you going to plan on lowering the xover pts for this set?

WillyG4444
01-19-2006, 02:15 AM
Well, I figured I would be able to set the highpass from the amp no? I figured the mids wouldnt be highpassed until I set them with the amp?

alphakenny1
01-19-2006, 02:18 AM
well aren't you using the passive xovers that came with the set? if so, the xover pts and slopes are already set and you can't change it. if you want more midbass coming from the mids, i suggest you heavily deaden yours doors using the tutorial we have on this forum. definately worth it.

WillyG4444
01-19-2006, 02:21 AM
I have 62 sq. ft. of deadening I'm using and I have MDF baffles made. So you're saying I can't set a highpass filter for these speakers because they have passive crossovers? I never heard of that =/. They say the range is from 55 hz so does that mean that's what they are set at? So if I wanted to set them at 70 hz eventually I couldn't with the amp? Whaaat.

edit: The ED 9.2X says it has a crossover so why wouldn't I be able to use that to set the highpass im so confused...

alphakenny1
01-19-2006, 02:33 AM
i dunno bout the xover pts and slopes on the passive xover. call cdt and ask them yourself.

i would imagine that you can set a higher xover pt on the amp and then it sends that signal to the speakers because if you highpass let's say 70hz then the amp will send all the frequencies above 70hz to the passive xover then since if the xover pt on the passive is 55hz lets say, then it won't hurt. but if you set a lower xover pt, i dont think you could bypass the passives xovers. eh, kinda of a bad explanation but get it? ask away if you dont.

WillyG4444
01-19-2006, 02:39 AM
Yea, I got it now, thanks a lot. Do you or anyone know an example of a song that has a 55 hz. bass tone on it? I'm just wondering if I should wait until I get a sub to install these speakers. I don't wanna lose all of my bass. Thanks again.

alphakenny1
01-19-2006, 02:44 AM
how i dunno how much of this will help but it might in your mission to find a song that has a noticable 55hz sound, http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1721.

slain93gsr
01-19-2006, 04:07 PM
on my dads set up his hd's are high passed around 65 hz with a 24db slope with the door deadened and sealed properly and the mids mounted to 3/4mdf spacers and midbass/bass could defintely be heard and felt. he is currently feeding his hd set around 125 watts to each channel

almost forgot to ask what kind of head unit are you running.

bikejunkie223
01-19-2006, 04:34 PM
It depends on the speakers, I am running my Dls @ 63hz, but they play well down to 50hz- though I am only feeding them 50wrms.