PDA

View Full Version : probably a dumb question...amping tweeter w/ HU

brocken
01-18-2006, 07:32 PM
I was contemplating running active and without getting an extra amp(current one is 2 chan) and running more wires to the door, I was wondering if I could power my mids off my amp and power the tweeters off the HU? I have an Alpine 9853 which has active xovers.
I know tweets don't take much power and I just had that idea pop into my head. Please let me know if that's a stupid idea. At worst I could run the tweets off a crossover if the active on the HU isn't sufficient.
It would be simple to run a wire from the HU to like the A pillar or corner of the window rather than stuffing another wire through my WRX door jamb.

Thanks!

thefunkybunch
01-18-2006, 09:11 PM
i can't recall if the 9853 has a 3way mode or not, i believe it does.... but not totally sure. i know the 9855 does. look on the bottom of the chassis of the deck, if it does there will be a little switch labeled 2way/3way. flip it to 3way, which also gives you independant time correction of the mids and the tweets. i would definitely look into a small amplifier for the tweets though, it will be much cleaner, and bring the tweets to life.

theCybe
01-18-2006, 09:15 PM
I'm guessing here, but there's probably a resistor or something of the sort filtering the signal from your headunit to your midrange&tweeter already. Are you amping the midrange? If so, the factory wiring is where the resistor already exists in my car - likely yours too.

brocken
01-18-2006, 10:20 PM
I'm not sure if it has a 3 way mode, I'll have to check.