PDA

View Full Version : Help with a home audio project

skadude016
01-17-2006, 12:23 PM
Ok so far I have 2 onyx SST woofers I know i wanna use for the project. I still need a reciver amp and speakers. What would yall recommend for all this. I have about 200-250 to spend. thanks

JimJ
01-17-2006, 12:28 PM
I would assume you're looking at two channel stereo...

$250 is a rough budget.

For that price, I would recommend a vintage integrated amp off Ebay (forget the receiver unless you're really in need of an FM tuner) and a pair of small full range drivers in DIY cabinets.

If you're in need of a subwoofer amp as well, forget this project for now and save some more money.

ballstothewall
01-17-2006, 12:38 PM
2 Fostex FE103E drivers in the back loaded horns that are given on madisound's site/catalog. Make the horns yourself outa 1/2" mdf.

Then one of these
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-952
And this
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=120-1135

51 bucks for the amp and power supply

62 bucks for the drivers

35 bucks for the wood for the BLH's

~148 bucks for a decent 2 ch system

My .02$

-Ryan

hayden
01-17-2006, 02:05 PM
If you need a receiver, speakers, and an amp for your subs it is really impossible to get it all for $250. Give us some more specific information and we can help.
JP

JimJ
01-17-2006, 02:06 PM
I guess the chip amps would be an option, but honestly I haven't been to impressed with the SQ of them.

But for $250, the options are slim for anything that sounds decent.

joetama
01-17-2006, 02:44 PM
DIY is nice if you want to do that, other wise you can get some decent sound JBL for pretty cheap (I know I know I just recommended Junk But Loud, but they sound better than those **** pod speakers and the cheap "line" speakers you can get). Amp wise, check around on eBay, and online warehouses. You can get good stuff cheap sometimes, Yamaha, some Sony, if you really wanna go CHEAP Insignia has an ok 2 channel amp you might have to do a little jury rigging to set the subs up but shouldn't be toooooo hard. What kinda music would you be listening to on this system most of the time?

skadude016
01-17-2006, 05:20 PM
Ok... I guess im not gonna be getting much of anything by going the DIY route. What kind of surrond sound systems could i get below $200 and still sound good and have good output. I would mostly listen to rock and techno.

I will jus use the Onyx woofers for another project

JimJ
01-17-2006, 05:21 PM
You're going to be limited to HTIB's for that budget.

skadude016
01-17-2006, 05:22 PM
and that is??? Sorry i dont know my way around home audio

skadude016
01-17-2006, 05:27 PM
what about this? It seems to be decent

http://www.epinions.com/Sony_HT_DDW670_System/display_~full_specs

JimJ
01-17-2006, 05:38 PM
Biggest problems with Home-Theater-In-Boxes are...

- Lack of flexibility. If you don't like the components, generally it's hard to switch them or change things. And it's a PITA to integrate your own subwoofers to it.
- Design compromises to meet a certain price point. Sticking a 3" full range driver in tiny plastic enclosures doesn't come without a price, and that price usually is evident in what you hear.

Having said that, Onkyo makes what I'd consider one of the best HTIB-type setups out there...although I'm not sure if it fits in your budget.

skadude016
01-17-2006, 05:40 PM
Biggest problems with Home-Theater-In-Boxes are...

- Lack of flexibility. If you don't like the components, generally it's hard to switch them or change things. And it's a PITA to integrate your own subwoofers to it.
- Design compromises to meet a certain price point. Sticking a 3" full range driver in tiny plastic enclosures doesn't come without a price, and that price usually is evident in what you hear.

Having said that, Onkyo makes what I'd consider one of the best HTIB-type setups out there...although I'm not sure if it fits in your budget.

Ok thanks! Ill look around Ebay for some Onkyo

joetama
01-17-2006, 05:58 PM
Just remember that by going with a HTIB you're giving up alot.

qwerty778
01-18-2006, 08:00 PM
You can get an Onkyo refurbished 5.1 channel receiver @ jandr.com for $150.

Then go on ebay and look for some good used bookshelf speakers from a good company such as Boston, Paradigm, Energy, Polk Audio, NHT, JBL, Klipsch, etc.

This is the BEST sound you can get for that price.