PDA

View Full Version : what exactly does preout voltage do?

christiankills
01-15-2006, 10:14 PM
I hear everywhere the higher the preouts, the better, so I kept following by that standard.

but what exactly is the difference between a 2volt and a 4 volt preout?

Prowler573
01-15-2006, 10:17 PM
I hear everywhere the higher the preouts, the better, so I kept following by that standard.Okay.

but what exactly is the difference between a 2volt and a 4 volt preout?2 volts.

The higher the preout voltage the lower you can set your amp's input sensitivity adjustment which allows for more headroom for peaks in your music, it will run cooler, and allows for lesser chances of clipping.

chinny
01-15-2006, 10:17 PM
the higher the preout the less ur amp will have to work to make it short.

djman37
01-15-2006, 10:19 PM
I hear everywhere the higher the preouts, the better, so I kept following by that standard.

but what exactly is the difference between a 2volt and a 4 volt preout?

2v:laugh:

just kidding. an amp takes a signal and AMPLIFIES it.

A 'little' signal(lower voltage) needs to be amplified more to get to a desired output...more GAIN. more gain can equal more noise in the signal. More voltage on the input signal equals lesser change to get to the desired ouput...less amplification of the signal equals less amplification of noise and other 'problems'. Higher is better, but too much results in clipping(bad)

bimma85
01-15-2006, 10:22 PM
2 volts.

:laugh: That's the difference alright :).

christiankills
01-15-2006, 10:25 PM
hahaha, i knew you guys would say 2v.

haha.

I think I get it. Right now i have a cassette deck... factory. so i had to buy an adapter to wire to my back speakers so i coul dhave a preout. My subs arent too clear.. (my HU is coming in tuesday. DEH-p770mp.) When really fast bass beats occur, it gets distorted between each sound making it sound just like one big vibration.

just trying to further my knowledge..

would a higher preout voltage be able to make it crisper sounding between extremely fast beats?

Prowler573
01-15-2006, 10:27 PM
would a higher preout voltage be able to make it crisper sounding between extremely fast beats?
Better speakers and better amplification does that. ;)

Yes, a better deck certainly makes a difference (or at least it can) in overall SQ but not specifically higher preout voltage.

christiankills
01-15-2006, 10:40 PM
haha, thanks for the responses.

I think my upgrade from a preout adapter wired to my back speakers to a 4 volt preout in a HU would be a big jump..

Prowler573
01-15-2006, 10:41 PM
haha, thanks for the responses.

I think my upgrade from a preout adapter wired to my back speakers to a 4 volt preout in a HU would be a big jump..
I think you're right.

imaspaceguy90
01-15-2006, 10:42 PM
:laugh: That's the difference alright :).

HEHE