PDA

View Full Version : reciever partially turn on for no reason...

jgarcia9102
01-15-2006, 03:01 PM
OK, so once upon a time i let my brother borrow my Sony Reciever. its nothing special, but it works for me. anyways, i get it back and it hasnt worked good since. aparently he left it running in an eclosed cabnet 24/7 (no vents) and it 'overheated' according to him.

ever since then ive had a few problems. i can easily deal with them, but im thinking that i should be able to fix them with your help.

- The reciever some times turns partially on without me even being near it. the LCD screen lghts up a bit, but not fully, and some times if it's really bad, i get a high pitched noise through my speakers.

- To turn this off, my power button dosent work, i just put pressure on the front left corner (above the power button) and it stops. some time i can give it a light flic with my finger too.

- some times when im listening to music i get the high pitched noise coming through over the music. this is realy rare, but it does happen.

- When i have no imput i still get the EQ bars moving up and down a bit, and i can make them moove more if im using the remote to my TV or something. almost like its picking up the signal and its causing interference.

- just incase it was overheating, i put a 120v BB fan (the ones people use for attic vents) on top of the vent holes to blow cold air over everyhting while its turned on. i have it plugged into the outlet on the back of the reciever, so when the reciever has power, so does the fan. when the LCD lights up for no aparent reason like i described first, this fan also turns on, and again, the only way to turn it off is to tap the corner.

Now i think this may be a ground problem, but how did it happen, where is is exaxctly, and how do i fix it? any help?

jgarcia9102
01-15-2006, 11:03 PM
11 views, no response?

brandontw
01-16-2006, 12:27 AM
sounds FUBAR to me.... get a new one.

DaveVT
01-16-2006, 01:48 PM
yep, new reciever is in order

jgarcia9102
01-16-2006, 06:28 PM
well i wouldnt be asking how to fix it if i could afford a new one....

joetama
01-16-2006, 08:32 PM
Hmm, sounds like your brother dicked it up pretty good. I would recommend first off beating your brother with out mercy. But with the receiver it could be a lose solder joint caused by the overheating. This would explain the lights and things happening when you tapped the front with out pressing any buttons. I would take the lid off and look at all the joints to make sure they are all well connected then check any ribbons that may run between the front panel and the rest of the system. And if that doesn’t fix it it's prolly got a fried brain, which means that there is pretty much no way of fixing it except buying a new one.

ngsm13
01-16-2006, 08:34 PM
Hmm, sounds like your brother dicked it up pretty good. I would recommend first off beating your brother with out mercy. But with the receiver it could be a lose solder joint caused by the overheating. This would explain the lights and things happening when you tapped the front with out pressing any buttons. I would take the lid off and look at all the joints to make sure they are all well connected then check any ribbons that may run between the front panel and the rest of the system. And if that doesn’t fix it it's prolly got a fried brain, which means that there is pretty much no way of fixing it except buying a new one.

I concur, beat him really hard.

NG

jgarcia9102
01-16-2006, 09:01 PM
haha. we he is a douche and moved to FL, so i cant really do anything about it.

i will check all the connections and everything, although i dont expect much. the main problem i see is the fan turning on all the time. everything else is kinda rare. like i said before, the fan is plugged in to the 120v plugs on the back for accessories that turn on when the reciever is on. i find that its on half of the time i walk by it, and when it happens, i just tap on the front. i guess its not really a huge deal, but i figured it would be small enough to fix it, but i guess not.

i suppose ill get a new one eventually, stereo next time too since i never even hook up the surround sound....

joetama
01-17-2006, 12:10 AM
If he screwed it up I would make him pitch in a little for a new one.... That's only fair. It always ***** when your gear craps out, good luck man...

xxx.x dB
01-17-2006, 12:22 AM
It sounds like it has a fried power supply.........I've done the same thing and it cost me 1000+ dollars:eek:

JimJ
01-17-2006, 12:32 AM
It sounds like it has a fried power supply.........I've done the same thing and it cost me 1000+ dollars:eek:

I doubt the receiver is worth anything near that...

joetama
01-17-2006, 12:48 AM
Ah ha, didn't think of that one, but it definatly could be a cookolaed power supply... **** why didnt I think of that....

xxx.x dB
01-17-2006, 01:02 AM
I doubt the receiver is worth anything near that...

I never said his receiver was worth that much:) ......that was my yamaha RXV2500 I was talking about:)

joetama
01-17-2006, 02:26 PM
I never said his receiver was worth that much:) ......that was my yamaha RXV2500 I was talking about:)

RXV2500 might just NOT be worth that lol.

forgot one word that made a big difference. 1k is pretty **** steap especially since MSRP is $1099.95...

JimJ
01-17-2006, 02:30 PM
Alas, it isn't :)

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?hl=en&q=yamaha%20RXV2500&sa=N&tab=wf

jgarcia9102
01-17-2006, 03:30 PM
well i suppose ill deal with it untill i get another job. for now i dont have any spending money at all. i got a deal on it used for like $100 like 2 years back, so its not worth fixing. i still havent opened it up yet, but that probably wont do any good since im no electrical engeneer.

brandontw
01-20-2006, 08:01 PM
Alas, it isn't :)

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?hl=en&q=yamaha%20RXV2500&sa=N&tab=wf haha owned-----:greedy: