PDA

View Full Version : Where to plug in RCA's

yo0123yo
01-14-2006, 11:13 PM
ok im running two L7's and a kx1200.1 amp, but on my old kenwood HU that i removed there were 2 places that i can plug in the RCA's and they were labeled "woofer" but on this, theres only one rca cable labeled woofer, the one next to it is labeled center, so would i plug my RCA's from my amp into center and woofer? heres the stats on the HU

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=14394&langId=-1

also it says # 1-Subwoofer RCA pre-amp output (Variable)
# 1-Center Channel RCA pre-amp output (Variable)

what does "variable" mean?

Prowler573
01-15-2006, 05:38 AM
ok im running two L7's and a kx1200.1 amp, but on my old kenwood HU that i removed there were 2 places that i can plug in the RCA's and they were labeled "woofer" but on this, theres only one rca cable labeled woofer, the one next to it is labeled center, so would i plug my RCA's from my amp into center and woofer? heres the stats on the HU

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=14394&langId=-1

also it says # 1-Subwoofer RCA pre-amp output (Variable)
# 1-Center Channel RCA pre-amp output (Variable)

what does "variable" mean?

I'm not for absolute certain but let me try and take a stab at this...

That unit, like the Kenwood in-dashes (and possibly others) that have 5.1 Surround output capability only have a single RCA for both the subwoofer and the center channel preamp output. The reason for this is that in a true surround setup every output channel is mono. It doesn't need to be in stereo as it is only designed to be in one specific location (front left, surround right, front center, etc).

Go get you a pair of Y-splitters to connect it to both inputs on your bass amp.

Most head units that have three sets of RCA preouts and one is a dedicated subwoofer output feature a level control, or volume control if you will, for the sub output. I would suggest that the *variable* for both the sub and center channel is indicative of both having their own level control that operates independently of the master volume.

yo0123yo
01-15-2006, 06:31 AM
now i have one rca plugged into center and one plugged into woofer, is that right though?

yo0123yo
01-15-2006, 06:35 AM
and both RCA's are already connected to my amp's "L" and "R" input

Class D
01-15-2006, 06:38 AM
have you tried the "Y" splitters yet?

yo0123yo
01-15-2006, 06:39 AM
no, i dont get why i need the y splitters

yo0123yo
01-15-2006, 06:42 AM
or would i use the y splitter to hook it up to the "woofer" at the headunit and connect the RCA's going from the amp to there?

SuperJETT
01-15-2006, 11:44 AM
What he's saying is the sub out is mono, so it only needs 1 rca jack anyway. You connect a splitter to it to feed both amp inputs unless you're running a mono amp.

Prowler573
01-15-2006, 02:39 PM
now i have one rca plugged into center and one plugged into woofer, is that right though? If my assumption about how that deck's outputs are setup is correct, No.

and both RCA's are already connected to my amp's "L" and "R" inputNow your amp has one side being input subwoofer information and the other side being input cneter channel information. Something tells me that this will result in less-than-stellar sound.

no, i dont get why i need the y splittersDid I honestly not explain it thoroughly enough?

or would i use the y splitter to hook it up to the "woofer" at the headunit and connect the RCA's going from the amp to there?Bingo :) Unless your bass amp has the ability to matrix a single input (and some do - I do not know what kind of amp we're talking about here)

yo0123yo
01-16-2006, 04:49 AM
^^
its the kicker kx1200.1 mono amp that i got

yo0123yo
01-16-2006, 04:51 AM
click on the pic to see the input stuff on my amp

http://sonicelectronix.com/item_2349.html#

Prowler573
01-16-2006, 05:08 AM
click on the pic to see the input stuff on my amp

http://sonicelectronix.com/item_2349.html#

You'll want to get a single male to dual-female RCA Y-splitter. Something like this here (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103709&cp=2032058&pg=8&f=Taxonomy%2FRSK%2F2032058&categoryId=2032058&kw=rca+phono+cables&kwCatId=2032058&parentPage=search) (though most are on actual cables). You'll plug the male end into the subwoofer output on your stereo then attach one end of a regular set of RCA cables into the two female ends. Plug the other end of the RCAs into the inputs on your amp and you're gold. :)

yo0123yo
01-16-2006, 05:20 AM
ok cool thanks prowler but the thing is, i got it plugged in now with one rca in center and one rca in woofer, and it still plays fine, should i bother getting the y splitter? and if i did get the y splitter what difference do u think i would notie in my system

Prowler573
01-16-2006, 05:29 AM
ok cool thanks prowler but the thing is, i got it plugged in now with one rca in center and one rca in woofer, and it still plays fine, should i bother getting the y splitter? and if i did get the y splitter what difference do u think i would notie in my system
As long as you're using the LP crossover in the KX1200 to filter out highs I don't know that it really would make a difference. But typically a subwoofer output will be LP crossed at the head unit and the center channel is likely a full-range output.

yo0123yo
01-16-2006, 05:44 AM
what LP crossover on the amp are you talkin about? the x-over freq. knob or the subsonic? my subsonic filter is on btw, also whats the x-over freq for? it goes from 50-200hz, if its the x-over freq that goes from 50-200hz can u tell me how to set that lol i got no i dea how to set it, right now its at the second black mark after 50

Prowler573
01-16-2006, 12:50 PM
what LP crossover on the amp are you talkin about? the x-over freq. knob or the subsonic?There is a LP (or Low-Pass) crossover built into that amp which filters all frequencies above the user-picked cutoff frequencies away from the speakers being driven by the amplifier.

my subsonic filter is on btw Are you using a ported enclosure? If not the subsonic filter won't be especially necessary.

also whats the x-over freq for? it goes from 50-200hz, if its the x-over freq that goes from 50-200hz can u tell me how to set that lol i got no i dea how to set it, right now its at the second black mark after 50 As stated above the x-over in that amp is a low-pass crossover. It is to keep all frequencies above the desired range from being introduced to your subwoofer.

Common wisdom dictates that at 80Hz and above sub-bass starts to become localized (where you can easily discern where the bass is coming from rather than simply being enveloped by it) so you'll want a setting below that.

Start at like 75Hz, (the numbers on that adustment dial are frequencies measured in Hz....the 50 'mark' you mentioned is for 50Hz - meaning that frequencies at 50Hz and below are sent to your sub and everything above it is filtered out) slowly make adjustments until you can't tell specifically where the bass it coming from, and see where it sounds best to your ear. I can't make a concrete suggestion regarding where you should put it as it is too subjective of a thing....it's all about what sounds best to you.