PDA

View Full Version : Whats wrong with my components?

swiftone
01-14-2006, 12:23 AM
I recently installed JL audio XR components in my car, and after sorting out an initial problem I have noticed the sound coming from my drivers side is much louder than from the passengers side. When I fade to the passengers side all the way, it is noticibly quieter than when i fade to the drivers side (and its not just because im sitting in the drivers seat, i switched seats to see if it was the same). What are some possible reasons for this? Did I blow a speaker? Could it be a wiring problem?

FoxPro5
01-14-2006, 12:26 AM
My thought is the amp. What do you have on them?

swiftone
01-14-2006, 12:30 AM
My thought is the amp. What do you have on them?
Its a Phoenix Gold 2 channel http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=449

swiftone
01-14-2006, 12:35 AM
Oh and those XR components are about 60 watts RMS and i think the amp puts about 50 RMS

lifted95blaze
01-14-2006, 12:43 AM
if the speaker is blown it wont have as good sq as the other speaker, if it sounds just fine then i would say its your amp, or the rca's coming fom your h/u....... switch your rca's where they go into the amp if the problem goes to the other side of the vehicle then its your rca's or your h/u, but if not switch the speakers connection on the amp, if the problem continues to the speaker that sounded fine before you switched em then its your amp....

ntense702
01-14-2006, 12:46 AM
sounds like an rca problem, I had a similar problem and that is what it turned out to be

swiftone
01-17-2006, 05:41 PM
Well, when I switch the RCAs on my amp the loud speaker switches to the other side. Does this mean it is for sure a problem with the RCAs? Could it be something to do with being "out of phase"? (Someone else suggested that but I really have no clue what it means or how to fix it)

pcnbaseball44
01-17-2006, 08:14 PM
I hope you didnt pay that much for that amp. You can get the 4.0:2 which is the 150 x 2 @ 4 ohms for 100 bucks on ebay.

lifted95blaze
01-17-2006, 08:46 PM
Well, when I switch the RCAs on my amp the loud speaker switches to the other side. Does this mean it is for sure a problem with the RCAs? Could it be something to do with being "out of phase"? (Someone else suggested that but I really have no clue what it means or how to fix it)

its either your rca's or the h/u

swiftone
01-18-2006, 03:29 AM
I hope you didnt pay that much for that amp. You can get the 4.0:2 which is the 150 x 2 @ 4 ohms for 100 bucks on ebay.

It was actually rediculously overpriced at my local shop, but I only ended up paying about $100 CAD because I had a gift card for $100 from that place. Otherwise I woulda bought on eBay. However if I had known the 400w was THAT cheap I woulda bought it from ebay and spent that gift card on other stuff like wiring etc... Oh well..

bri487
01-18-2006, 03:38 AM
check to make sure they are both in phase, and then check to make sure you dont have a pinched rca.

DiamondFanatic
01-18-2006, 03:43 AM
A simple check would be to pull the deck from the dash, and run a new RCA over the carpet to the amp as a quick test. That way you don't waste your time uninstalling everything. If that is the problem. them consider yourself lucky and get a new RCA. If it doesn't fix it, you're most likely looking at a new HU.

swiftone
01-18-2006, 01:46 PM
A simple check would be to pull the deck from the dash, and run a new RCA over the carpet to the amp as a quick test. That way you don't waste your time uninstalling everything. If that is the problem. them consider yourself lucky and get a new RCA. If it doesn't fix it, you're most likely looking at a new HU.

Ok thank you I will definately do that, you dont think it could be a speaker "out of phase" like others have suggested?

Quiksilverdad
01-18-2006, 05:23 PM
Ok thank you I will definately do that, you dont think it could be a speaker "out of phase" like others have suggested?

To check for out-of-phase, do either:

1. purchase a CD "cleaner" CD, which almost always contains audio setups as bonus tracks, one of which will be a phase checker.

2. A speaker is out-of-phase if the positive to one speaker is the ground to the other speaker. In other words, the + from the left goes to the + of the left speaker, but the + of the right goes to the - of the right speaker. Take "one" set of speaker wires and reverse the + and - wires . If the sound improved, then you were out-of-phase. It does not matter which speaker wires to reverse, but do not do both.

Hope this helps.

bri487
01-18-2006, 05:45 PM
To check for out-of-phase, do either:

1. purchase a CD "cleaner" CD, which almost always contains audio setups as bonus tracks, one of which will be a phase checker.

2. A speaker is out-of-phase if the positive to one speaker is the ground to the other speaker. In other words, the + from the left goes to the + of the left speaker, but the + of the right goes to the - of the right speaker. Take "one" set of speaker wires and reverse the + and - wires . If the sound improved, then you were out-of-phase. It does not matter which speaker wires to reverse, but do not do both.

Hope this helps.

there are ways to check to make sure it is in phase. a quick and easy one is the battery test that i mentioned.

swiftone
01-18-2006, 06:23 PM
there are ways to check to make sure it is in phase. a quick and easy one is the battery test that i mentioned.
I dont see any battery test mentioned...

bri487
01-18-2006, 06:34 PM
i must have posted ut somewhere else yesterday, hang on let me cut and paste.