PDA

View Full Version : need more laid back speakers than my cdt ef61

brocken
01-13-2006, 11:47 AM
Hi all, noob with a noob question here. :)

I ordered a set of CDT efg1 fg. They're great speakers with good midbass but no amount of tuning with my headunits eq will get these to not be harsh to my ears. It's not just the tweets but the mids too.
I'm looking for a great passive set around $300 or less. I don't have the time or money to go active so I would like something I can just drop in and have it sound good.
I've been reading that the DLS are pretty mellow as well as the Rainbow(UP6 and SLC are in my price range). I'm wondering if anybody has compared these to the CDT and if they're less harsh?
Another I'm thinking of is the Arc audio ACS. I noticed they have some of the Rainbow parts to the set. I have an Arc Audio 12 that I'm installing.
For power I have a US amps rated at 150rms. So something matched to that power would be good as well.
I was thinking about Diamond audio Hex or the d661 but I was reading that some think they're harsh even with the silk tweets. I have the older m661 in my other car and I like them but I don't know if the new crossovers are better or worse.

Please help! It seems impossible for me to find good speakers for my ultra sensitive ears. I really would like a full sound without it fatiguing my ears after 5 minutes. I don't crank it really loud but I like having it where the midbass is "present".

Thanks!

UndercoverPunk
01-13-2006, 11:50 AM
Improve your install... did you get the 560 "upgrade" (i.e. the crossovers that SHOULD come with the set)

militaryboy91
01-13-2006, 12:02 PM
You may also want to consider a small amplifier to run your mids. You usually tend to get cleaner sound that way and you can tune the frequency to your liking. You can usually pick one up pretty cheap at a pawn shop. Try Diversified loans and pawn on HWY 99 in North Lynwood. You can also try one, I can't remember the name, by Aurora Village on 205th.

brocken
01-13-2006, 12:06 PM
I do have the 560 crossovers with it. I realize that I could improve the install or go active but like I said, I don't have the time or money to do that. I don't know how that would combat the harshness anyway. I already matted the doors and I don't have any other options as far as mounting positions.
I really would just like to find a drop in component set that will be more mellow than the CDT's from the getgo.

militaryboy91
01-13-2006, 12:07 PM
Are you looking for a component set or just some coaxial speakers?

brocken
01-13-2006, 12:08 PM
going active would require that I run another set of speaker wires to the door and I really really don't want to do that. I already ran one set of wires into the door and have the crossovers mounted there.

UndercoverPunk
01-13-2006, 12:09 PM
I do have the 560 crossovers with it. I realize that I could improve the install or go active but like I said, I don't have the time or money to do that. I don't know how that would combat the harshness anyway. I already matted the doors and I don't have any other options as far as mounting positions.
I really would just like to find a drop in component set that will be more mellow than the CDT's from the getgo.

When I had my EF-61CFi's, oddly enough they sounded better with more power. How are you powering them again?

militaryboy91
01-13-2006, 12:09 PM
Do you know where Stereo Warehouse is on Aurora?

brocken
01-13-2006, 12:14 PM
I'd really prefer a component set unless there's a great sounding coax set out there. I was under the impression that component is usually better?
I do know where the Stereo Warehouse is, I've been there before.

They did sound a teeny bit better when I hooked up the 150 watts per channel amp after having a 100 watts per channel on them. Nothing huge but it was noticeable. I really don't want to try out other amps either...I've already spent enough in that area.

Thanks for the help so far. :)

militaryboy91
01-13-2006, 12:20 PM
I don't usually mess with component sets. They are pretty expensive. I usually get some quality coaxial speakers which you can usually get online for pretty cheap and put a four ch amp on them spending less than a component set would cost me. I like to put most of my $$$ in the trunk. I always like the way it sounds and never get any complaints from others unless its " Turn it Down!!!"

militaryboy91
01-13-2006, 12:23 PM
Also if he still works there, Tony at Stereo Warehouse could be a big help if you explained your dilemma. We went to Shorewood together and as much as I pride myself for my expertise in car audio, he knows way more than me. Just don't ask him about which subs he likes. The only answer you will ever get is "Kicker".

UndercoverPunk
01-13-2006, 12:25 PM
I don't usually mess with component sets. They are pretty expensive. I usually get some quality coaxial speakers which you can usually get online for pretty cheap and put a four ch amp on them spending less than a component set would cost me. I like to put most of my $$$ in the trunk. I always like the way it sounds and never get any complaints from others unless its " Turn it Down!!!"

I have more money going into the trunk than my frontstage... it's just not there yet.;)

I finally said screw it.... went all out, got rid of everything I had and got a really good frontstage, then moved onto the subs.

Your frontstage is easily the most important part of your system, lots of extremely important information comes out of the fronts than the subs.:D

Towncar
01-13-2006, 12:25 PM
Both of these are laid back, but sound awesome.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PHOENIX-GOLD-TI-5-COMP-ELITE-5-25-COMPONENTS-TI5COMP_W0QQitemZ5853193491QQcategoryZ32819QQssPag eNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/PHOENIX-GOLD-X6-5-XENON-6-5-COMPONENT-SYSTEM-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ5854015447QQcategoryZ32819QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

brocken
01-13-2006, 12:27 PM
the trunk stuff is already settled. I really need a good set of components.

djman37
01-13-2006, 12:28 PM

the 560 XO's however don't have tweeter attenuation built in like the 456 or 480's. I have both of those crossovers. They have +3,0,-3 settings. The 480s are a slide switch and the 456 is a jumper. CDT wants the HP around 80hz for their mids, maybe yours is set a little high?

brocken
01-13-2006, 12:38 PM
I hooked the tweets up to the "image" tweet output which is supposed to give -3db(per CDT) and it didn't really help much. Part of it is the mids are harsh between 3k-4k and no amount of eq ing has fixed that.
I did try different crossover points and that didn't help either.

UndercoverPunk
01-13-2006, 12:42 PM
Weird... sell those CDTs then, lol

brocken
01-13-2006, 12:53 PM
I feel like I'm crazy or something because everybody says they're relatively laid back. Even my wife thought they sounded harsh and her ears are nowhere as sensitive as mine.
****, it ***** being sensitive... haha

jrouter76
01-13-2006, 01:07 PM
I got a set of cdt hd 6.5s and they are laid back and I`m running 200 watts per channel to them without a problem,I`m about to go active with some daytons rs180 s and some lpgnfa`s silk tweets should sound nice

djman37
01-13-2006, 01:56 PM
I feel like I'm crazy or something because everybody says they're relatively laid back. Even my wife thought they sounded harsh and her ears are nowhere as sensitive as mine.
****, it ***** being sensitive... haha

you are officially 'dissatisfied'. Call CDT, they're under warranty still? Selling them shouldn't be a problem.

brocken
01-13-2006, 02:17 PM
It's not really a warranty issue. I don't think there's a defect with the speakers. I just don't like how they sound.
I'm not worried about selling them either, I'm sure somebody would want them. I'm more concerned about what to replace them with so I'm not in the same situation.

militaryboy91
01-13-2006, 02:21 PM
What I meant when I said talk to Tony was that his knowledge isn't just in the trunk and I think that he could recommend some speakers to suit your needs.

militaryboy91
01-13-2006, 02:28 PM
My personal preference for interior speakers include alpine, mb quart, jbl, polk, boston and infinity.

djman37
01-13-2006, 02:30 PM
It's not really a warranty issue. I don't think there's a defect with the speakers. I just don't like how they sound.
I'm not worried about selling them either, I'm sure somebody would want them. I'm more concerned about what to replace them with so I'm not in the same situation.

i mean just tell them you aren't happy with the speakers. See what they'd do for ya.

brocken
01-13-2006, 02:37 PM
I actually did talk to CDT and all the guy told me was to relocate the tweeters, that was my problem. He was kind of rude about it too, like I was insulting their product.

bikejunkie223
01-13-2006, 04:47 PM
Go with Dls UP6's- you can score a set from Tplaya07 on these forums- he's an authorized dealer.

alphakenny1
01-13-2006, 05:05 PM
yea they maybe harsh but have you thought about lowering the gain on those? also have you tried to reverse the polarity of the speakers? that might help as well. also where are your tweeters mounted?

brocken
01-13-2006, 05:13 PM
I was thinking of doing that. He got back to me with a great price.
should those be even more mellow than the CDT?

alphakenny1
01-13-2006, 05:15 PM
yea i suggest you try it. trying to help a brother out before he shells out $300 :D.

lubetek
01-13-2006, 05:17 PM
Have you looked into dynaudio? Morel, or Focal?

amping them properly will make a differece. Front stage is IMO more important then the sub in the trunk. I'd rather spend more money now and be happy than less money and never quite have what I wanted.

brocken
01-13-2006, 05:18 PM
yup, lowered the gain way down. didn't do anything except make the speakers quieter.
The tweeters are mounted in the stock position on the door. just a few inches above the mids.

brocken
01-13-2006, 05:26 PM
I'm not too concerned about spending another $300, I'm sure I can get some of my money back for the CDT. I just want something good that I can drop in and not fuss with it.
I work full time and go to school full time and I don't want to spend my free hours fiddling with speaker setups. :)

bikejunkie223
01-14-2006, 01:02 AM
Have you looked into dynaudio? Morel, or Focal?

Not likely to find any of these for $300! Dynaudio stuff kicks major ***, but is hard to fit (especially in Hondas) and they start at $800 or so. Focal has some more affordably priced stuff, but thier tweeters are likely brighter than the cdt's he has. For Honda's Dls are a great choice as the have the neodymn (sp) magnet (small) and drop right in with minimal modification. Don't know what car you have, but UP6's are a friggin great speaker.- very natural, great image great midbass. You can read my review on them here:http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=121643&highlight=dls+up6

3.5Max6spd
01-14-2006, 01:09 AM
SLC's dont dissapoint...specially at $260 for the '05's

brocken
01-14-2006, 01:10 PM
I actually have a WRX which is hard to get speakers in the door. Really limited mounting depth. The CDT at 2.75 were tough enough to squeeze in.
I'm tempted to order a Rainbow set...
I went and picked up a Memphis Q set and they sound decent and are easy on the ears but they're nothing spectacular....I'm going to try them out for a few days though.
I bought them from a local store so I can swap them out if I don't like 'em. Or I can sell them on ebay like the CDT's...lol
This ***** trying to find something I like and that's worth the dough.

6spdcoupe
01-14-2006, 01:34 PM
I was easily able to fit SLs into an '04 WRX if that helps.

alteraudiousa
01-14-2006, 02:34 PM
well i'm very suprised to hear that the CDTs are too harsh. I would rule out the Morels as they are one of the harshest sounding tweets i've heard. I would try and get a LP-1 remote on the tweets. This will help bring the tweets under control, your mids i'd be hard pressed to believe are harsh though.

brocken
01-14-2006, 04:21 PM
The CDT might not be harsh to 99 out of 100 people but the mids were to me. I covered up the tweeters and still had the fatiguing.
The dealer I bought it from suggested going active and crossing over lower but I don't have an extra amp or the time to do that.
Maybe a component set that crosses over under 3k would sound better to my ears.
I don't know...I'm about ready to give up finding something I really like. Now I have one more pair I gotta sell.

brocken
01-14-2006, 04:34 PM
don't stone me but has anybody listened to the new Kicker Resolution? They had those speakers where I bought my Memphis so I could swap them out. Didn't know if that would be worth trying though.
The only other speakers they had that I might like were Dynaudios but I don't want to spend $600 for car speakers.

bikejunkie223
01-14-2006, 05:20 PM
Well, knowing you have a WRX tells me everything about the clearance issues- I put some Diamond S6's in my brother's and they were a real pain clearance wise. I really can't recomend Dls UP6's enough for that application- the magnet is small so clearance issues wouldn't exist- it has a really smooth tweeter (silk/textile dome) and you can attenuate it (pretty substatially) at the crossover. These are what you need bro.