PDA

View Full Version : Head Unit obsevations and comments

MBrock4u
01-12-2006, 06:55 AM
Hi all,

There is alot of discussion and comments on various head units to buy and what not to buy. This forum has been very helpful and I thank you all for that. On the other hand when I hear about some good quality head units that get trashed in here it really makes me wonder. IE: Does anybody remember what your old stock head units sounded like?? Boy I sure do and it ****** lol. When my brother gave me a hand me down sony unit it sounded so MUCH better, but obviously there are MUCH better out there. I have since upgraded my whole system by leaps and bounds. I am very happy with what I have now :) The point is the high end Eclipes, Pioneer's ect... are awesome when u compare them too Alpine's lower end models for example, but as far as I am concerned anything Alpine is good but there r just better out there. I would have given my left nut to have some of these head units on here that are being trashed compared to my old stock unit. I try to keep that in prospective around here especially for the new people in car audio. Just my 2 cents worth :) Once again I have learned alot in here and for that I am thankful.

Mike75
01-12-2006, 09:21 AM
Thank you for the advice/knowledge...I sometimes get caught-up in things as you mentioned, I really appreciate your post...It makes sense and is honest...What is actually your system as of now? Thanks

MBrock4u
01-12-2006, 11:07 AM
Thanks for asking and your comment !
My system goes as followed:
Head Unit: Kenwood Excelon Kdc-X589
Front Soundstage: Infinity Kappa 6.5 coax in front doors
Alpine 4 inch coax with 600 htz bass blocker in the dash
Rear fill: Alpine 6.5 coax type S
Hatch back area: Alpine 6 x 9 type S with enclosed Q-logic boxes
Amplifier: Infinity Reference 4 channel 111 x 4 rms at 4 ohms, 139 x 4 at 2 ohms
System is running a 2 ohms stereo. I have a Mitsubishi Eclipse so I really saw no need for subs in this type of car. It thumps just fine for me without subs. When properly powered, those alpines thump like 8 inch subs anyway :)