PDA

View Full Version : need a reciever

flakko
01-12-2006, 01:07 AM
the cheapest out there. I dunno jack squat about home theatre. just want a little bump for my tv and computer.

adio
01-12-2006, 09:23 AM
see my sig. LMK

or you can buy my jvc RX-6032 for $100 + shipping
this pic isn't my pic but it's the best one i could find. my receiver looks just like it
http://pictures.kyozou.com/pictures/_2/1053/1052444.jpg

JimJ
01-12-2006, 02:48 PM
Sounds like you need an integrated amp instead, unless you like to listen to the radio a lot.

RadioShack used to sell a small 40x2 integrated, had a couple of inputs and seemed to be a really good deal (translation: under $50). I'm not sure if they still sell it, though. I stopped paying attention to their home audio equipment when they discotinued their paper catalogs several years back :crap:

flakko
01-12-2006, 04:19 PM
integrated means what? i wanna run an RE8 or something

adio
01-12-2006, 06:12 PM
that it runs the components (cd players, dvd players, etc) and has a radio on it. this is called a pre/pro and this is what the majority of receivers are, including the 2 i have.

adio
01-12-2006, 06:13 PM
that it runs the components (cd players, dvd players, etc) and has a radio on it. this is called a pre/pro and this is what the majority of receivers are, including the 2 i have. yes, u can hook up any sub to them, as long as you have a plate amplifier.

JimJ
01-12-2006, 07:10 PM
Integrated amplifier = preamplifier & power amplifier in the same box
Receiver = same as above, with the addition of an AM/FM tuner

PV Audio
01-12-2006, 07:23 PM
Quite true. If you're looking for something decent, a receiver will most likely be cheaper than an integrated amp. A decent integrated can run you some money (as they are usually quality goods), whereas receivers are dime a dozen after the recent influx of home theater's popularity.

JimJ
01-12-2006, 07:26 PM
But the quality level for most entry-level HT receivers, IMO, leaves a lot to be desired. Lots of stuff packed in a small cabinet is an invitation to skimp on components and design, unless you get in the $1k range that Denon and Onkyo offer...

Of course, if you have the time to research and find the deals, seperates are generally preferable ;)

PV Audio
01-12-2006, 07:30 PM
^^ Good point. Most budget receivers are of the worst quality imaginable. However, that might be what he needs as he doesn't seem to be too worried about the sonic quality :)

JimJ
01-12-2006, 07:32 PM
Especially if it's for a computer audio system.

Playing even 320K MP3's sounds like *** if the rest of the system is leagues beyond the source you're using :)

PV Audio
01-12-2006, 07:34 PM
I can attest to that. :D

1975 busted out Hitachi receiver...Wasn't a good buy. But for 15 bucks shipped form Canada, I wasn't expecting much :D

joetama
01-12-2006, 10:16 PM
Does anyone believe in the idea that you should save your money and buy something a little higher quality?? Wouldn't that pay off more in the long run???

adio
01-12-2006, 10:32 PM
not if he is just looking for something temporary.

PV Audio
01-12-2006, 11:17 PM
Does anyone believe in the idea that you should save your money and buy something a little higher quality?? Wouldn't that pay off more in the long run???
Since it's obviously for a cheap setup, a higher quality receiver is useless.

JimJ
01-13-2006, 12:59 AM

If it was for a main system, I would have recommended better quality gear.

Computer audio isn't what I'd call high fidelity :)

brandontw
01-13-2006, 01:34 AM
if your still looking for a reciever, i have a Sony STR-D715 It is surround sound OR stereo, i have it running stereo, but i just got a new reciever, so im not in need of this anymore, works like a champ, sounds great, its 100w x2 channels.

I dont know the specs off hand, you could look em up, here is a pic of what it looks like:

(http://imageshack.us/)

[img=http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/3917/b223ml.jpg] (http://imageshack.us/)

[IMG]http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/1954/cc17tn.th.jpg
(http://img206.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cc17tn.jpg)

i would part with it for fairly cheap i guess, as it is like 10 yrs old., but it is a great little reciever, back when sony didnt **** as much images/smilies/smile.gif

da_tank
01-13-2006, 01:38 AM
onkyo uh ah onky crap! the denon is prob the best for sq and features, yamaha makes real good ones too!

brandontw
01-13-2006, 01:47 AM
Does anyone believe in the idea that you should save your money and buy something a little higher quality?? Wouldn't that pay off more in the long run??? not everyone needs to have 4000$ worth of equipment to get a little sound going, i had some garage sale speakers, and that old sony that i just offered up for like a year and i was acually quite happy with it. if you get some used equipment for cheap jst to get something going alot of times you will be pleasently suprised. and another thing to think about is that alot of people dont even unsdersand why anybody would buy a 1000$ receiver when there is that KLH on sale at best buy for 89$:rolleyes:

and sometimes old equipment can be better than new stuff, like that old sony will blow my freinds newish jvc reciever out of the water with sound quality and power, but they are supposedly the same wattage.;)

joetama
01-13-2006, 02:03 PM
Since it's obviously for a cheap setup, a higher quality receiver is useless.

Maybe I'm wrong but I'm usually not but anyway there are 3 important things in a good sounding system

(1) Speakers
-If you have cheaper speakers then Number 2 plays a more important role because of your EQ and Quality line.

(2) Pre-Amps
(3) Amplification

2&3 are usually paired together in a Receiver, which is what we are talking about here. I don’t understand the idea of temporary setup because it's just wasting money, because it’s spending money and making the “real” system just farther off. And as for a "cheap setup" why drive a Ford Fiesta when you can wait a month or 2 or 3 and get into a Volkswagen or lower end BMW? I know you guys are going to disagree with me but with my systems I have to have quality, depth, clarity, presence, and crisp highs.

For instance I have a Yamaha RX-V1500 Receiver, and absolutely love it. It's no Maserati but it's a good solid receiver. According to Yamaha's Web site

[URL="http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/receivers/RXV1500.htm"]

the RX-V1500 should sell for $849.95, I realize that's out of a lot of people's budgets however if you run a quick internet search for one, as I did when I bought my receiver you can find it for $515 new and $399 referb.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=4559745/
http://www.pricescan.com/electronics/items/item521433.asp?sid=46640096

So, anyway here is my point. Find a decent receiver that is in decent price range and use it, you wont regret it. You'll all hate me now but you'll probably thank me six months down the road. Also, if your spending $100 on a piece of complex electronics you’re either getting an awesome deal or you’re buying something that is only worth that in which you paid for it, IE not that much.

JimJ
01-13-2006, 02:12 PM
not everyone needs to have 4000$ worth of equipment to get a little sound going, i had some garage sale speakers, and that old sony that i just offered up for like a year and i was acually quite happy with it. if you get some used equipment for cheap jst to get something going alot of times you will be pleasently suprised. and another thing to think about is that alot of people dont even unsdersand why anybody would buy a 1000$ receiver when there is that KLH on sale at best buy for 89$:rolleyes:

and sometimes old equipment can be better than new stuff, like that old sony will blow my freinds newish jvc reciever out of the water with sound quality and power, but they are supposedly the same wattage.;)

1. You're right, and lots of people are content with HTIB's. Some aren't, though :)

2. The issue isn't one of old vs. new...

3. B&W, I see your point, and I personally subscribe to that philosophy of going all-out if the finances allow, but even I wouldn't blow a ton of money on a setup that was going to be used for a computer. If I was doing it, I'd probably get a used Dynaco or similar EL84 push-pull amplifier and a set of small bookshelf monitors - total budget of around $500 or so, and would probably sound a heck of a lot better than a cheap all-in-one receiver would.

onkyo uh ah onky crap!

You're an idiot.

There, I think I've caught up with this thread :)

joetama
01-13-2006, 02:20 PM
LOL i'm glad someone else sees my point a little. I agree with the fact that in a computer set up the quality doesnt need to be that good, however all he needs to do is buy a DVD player and now he hooks it up to a TV and that slight edge of quality is used. I always try to think in upgrade land lol. Anyway, to each his own and if your happy with what you have more power to you, unfortunatly I grew up in the family business which happned to be a 3rd generation Audio company LOL.

flakko
01-13-2006, 02:24 PM
ye i see b&w's point hehe but i just wanta little bump in my room. I guess you can paralell this to car audio which is were I want to spend my money and time.

joetama
01-13-2006, 02:31 PM
Aux out and a 4th order vented box with an EVX-180B, HH V800 or Crest 4001 amp should do that trick.... just kidding. I think I’m on a rampage today lol.

adio
01-13-2006, 05:30 PM
i still say get the cheapo receiver

ngsm13
01-13-2006, 05:55 PM
Well not even necessarily a $400 receiver that B&W is suggesting....but just something a little better...

I mean, for a half decent...cheap receiver...at least spend $150-200...cmon ;).

NG

adio
01-13-2006, 06:23 PM
Well not even necessarily a $400 receiver that B&W is suggesting....but just something a little better...

I mean, for a half decent...cheap receiver...at least spend $150-200...cmon ;).

NG
exactly, just one of the receivers i'm selling:p:

brandontw
01-13-2006, 08:39 PM
i tend to agree with you guys, that if you buy something cheap then you will end up wanting something better later, but the same thing will happen even if you buy something spendy... the grass is always greener on the other side.

I think if you get something thats not total crap you will be fairly happy.

By the way, I just picked up a Harmon Kardon HK 3470, its a great 2 channel reciever, they dont make em anymore, so i got one for 200

qwerty778
01-18-2006, 08:04 PM
This is a good receiver for cheap:

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4051486