PDA

View Full Version : Boston Pro 60 vs Kenwood 25th anniversary components

Mike75
01-11-2006, 11:03 AM
I cannot decide which set is better or the differences in sound between them...They are equal cost, so if you could give me your thoughts on either of these speakers, Pro's Con's, I would really appreciate it...Thank you

joetama
01-11-2006, 03:27 PM
Have you listened to either of them?

XtrmAudioCncpts
01-11-2006, 03:35 PM
my $.02 get the boston pro's cant go wrong with something that could take 300wrms all day long. plus they sound GREAT

Mike75
01-11-2006, 03:38 PM
No one else has an opinion?

thefunkybunch
01-11-2006, 09:55 PM
the kenwood's can't touch the pro's. the boston's are louder, cleaner, will take more power, and have way more midbass. i honestly expected a lot more out of the kenwood's, especially for a 7" driver. they look really nice, and they move a whole lot, but don't produce a lot of midbass at all. and no, they weren't out of phase. midbass is just badly lacking. they get very loud, but are also very harsh. tried playing around with all the jumpers and eq'ing the **** out of them, but they just don't sound right.

just my experiences with them. but then again, my opinion is a bit biased so go listen for your self. let your ears decide, because you are the one that will be listening to them, not me :)

Colin+M
01-11-2006, 10:41 PM
boston pro's for teh win

Yes i have heard them, and me likey the Bostons. Hell, just go for the Z6's:)

Bostons had a better tweeter IMO, and better midbass....as funkybunch said.

loud-n-low
01-13-2006, 09:25 PM
boston

air_odie
01-14-2006, 02:44 PM
get the bostons and KNOW YOU made the right choice I know I did!!!

running mine with a JL 300.4 on an eclipse 4455 and WOW!!

excelon72
05-18-2009, 04:37 PM
im a die hard excelon fan for the money they are excellent UNTIL the 25th anniversaries. paid wayyyyy to much and gott little in return. they sound the same as the 250.00 dual mags excelons i replaced them with. very dissapointed have 2 sets in basement anr thats where they wills stay. beware of the pol 6500's they are a true sw speaker, if you like bostons(aka very "bright" tweeter) you WILL not like the polks. a true sw speaker has a flat response curve and does not POP or COLOUR the music. most people who think they want sq dont the just want a well rounded SPL system. a proper sq system has one set of front speakers and one high quality sub. the polks will let you hear the music the way it was uppose to be hear...that might not be what you really wanna hear

FJF
05-18-2009, 05:05 PM
beware of the pol 6500's they are a true sw speaker, if you like bostons(aka very "bright" tweeter) you WILL not like the polks. a true sw speaker has a flat response curve and does not POP or COLOUR the music.

I've had the Pro60s and the Polk SR6500s in the same install. Setup identically - tweeters low in the A-pillars, mids low in the doors) - with the tweeter jumpers on the stock crossovers configured to -2 for the BAs and -3 for the SRs (lowest setting) - the SRs sounded much brighter than the Pros. While I don't disagree that the SRs are more transparent speakers all around, installed the way I described, the Pro's tonal balance is less aggressive. Active is a different story, as the SR's tweeter level can be padded down further than their crossovers allow.

Jumbo Jet
05-18-2009, 09:15 PM
Just sold my Boston Pro 60's. The tweeters are very bright. But if you like that, you'll have fun with them. They take a lot of power and get very loud and clear.

FJF
05-19-2009, 09:25 AM
Just sold my Boston Pro 60's. The tweeters are very bright. But if you like that, you'll have fun with them. They take a lot of power and get very loud and clear.

Out of sheer curiosity, how did you configure the Pro60's crossovers?

Jumbo Jet
05-20-2009, 12:05 AM
I was running them passive and after much trail and error I ended up with the jumpers in the middle, but I tried all the positions. I liked the clarity but they were just too bright for me.

FJF
05-20-2009, 08:27 AM
I was running them passive and after much trail and error I ended up with the jumpers in the middle, but I tried all the positions. I liked the clarity but they were just too bright for me.

Comments referring to the Pro60s as being too bright are common, and I always wonder about the setup and config. I've used the Pro60 passively, too. Dropping the tweeter level to -4, vs -2 (ie. the middle position, factory setting), would have alleviated the excess HF energy you may have been hearing. Not knowing the setup of your deck and the scope of the install, there may have been other factors at play, but the the lack of an appropriate x-over setting remains a constant. Good luck. :)