PDA

View Full Version : Interest in Vinyl Decals?

Untouchable11
01-10-2006, 07:53 PM
My dad owns a Vinyl Machine, that allows you to make just about anything you can imagine for a sign... and I'm sure he wouldn't mind me using it, as long as I paid for materials...

I'm going to post this as an interest thread, but if you need something, PM me and we can talk.

PM, or AIM (rcolwell11)...

mx519
01-10-2006, 09:21 PM
Hey man, what about back grounds? Like # plate backgrounds for dirtbikes etc.?

Prowler573
01-10-2006, 09:26 PM
How much would something like this run?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/prowler573/Cosmetics/GossamerGeoDecal.jpg

Rattlebrain
01-10-2006, 09:26 PM
I might be interested. How large/small can you go? How detailed? And for the most important question, how much $?

ss3079
01-10-2006, 09:27 PM
I would feel bad asking you to take the time to make up just one or two of the same decal :(

req
01-10-2006, 09:38 PM
im sure it would be really easy.

hell, i could even send you a cad file. ill get intouch with ya on aim.

BoominBeast
01-10-2006, 09:40 PM
Hell yea, im interested

Untouchable11
01-11-2006, 12:15 AM
Ok, Well, I will be figuring something up tomorrow, as this was just to guage interest. Window decals like the one posted, aren't really a problem, just as long as you have some type of image, or something that can be imported...

The program I will be using can do just about anything....

I whipped up a few designs today, with some internet companies, like AA, and RE... I thought they were pretty cool....

And one or two logos will not be a problem :)

Untouchable11
01-11-2006, 12:22 AM
I might be interested. How large/small can you go? How detailed? And for the most important question, how much $?

Well, for smaller decals, I'd say probably anywhere from about $7 + sh and up.. (I'll specify sizes tomorrow)

and for larger, like stretching across the top of windshields, say about $20-25 +sh...

I'll have a clearer image tomorrow, on where this stands, as I'll look at the vinyl pricing books...

I'll try to get some pics tomorrow of how detailed it can get....

I'm not going to try making a huge profit on these, as it will probably be like a thing when I go home for every weekend, or every other weekend.. I just don't want to get a **** job over here, as Mechanical Engineering and the word job just don't fit very well in the same schedule...

I will have more info tomorrow...

UndercoverPunk
01-11-2006, 12:23 AM
Which machine does he have? My dads been doing vynil signs on the side fore... years, lol.

bri487
01-11-2006, 12:24 AM
i have access to one here in my town. all that i want at no cost, but it isnt mine.

theCybe
01-11-2006, 12:28 AM
it's called a plotter.

Untouchable11
01-11-2006, 12:29 AM
Which machine does he have? My dads been doing vynil signs on the side fore... years, lol.

Um... Im not sure of the exact model or name, I will look at it tomorrow, but i know its pretty big. He uses Flex Sign Pro? Pretty neat program, and a ton of stuff can be done on it... But it better be for a retail of $3500...

He's been doing this for about 10 years, and I just learned to run it today... It stands about 4 feet tall...

He has some jacked up material... I've seen carbon fiber look a like, chrome, just about any pattern/color imaginable...

docutech
01-11-2006, 12:31 AM
Count me in as well....

skmfkr
01-11-2006, 12:33 AM
My dad owns a Vinyl Machine, that allows you to make just about anything you can imagine for a sign... and I'm sure he wouldn't mind me using it, as long as I paid for materials...

I'm going to post this as an interest thread, but if you need something, PM me and we can talk.

PM, or AIM (rcolwell11)...

my friend has one, his mom used to work for a sign shop and he races late models and she does all his vinyl work, but i dont reallyhave anything i want/need right now

I have considered the roe windshield banner tho and the RE logo somewhere on my backglass

UndercoverPunk
01-11-2006, 12:39 AM
it's called a plotter.

really???

(sarcasm :p: ) (i<3j0o)

UndercoverPunk
01-11-2006, 12:42 AM
Um... Im not sure of the exact model or name, I will look at it tomorrow, but i know its pretty big. He uses Flex Sign Pro? Pretty neat program, and a ton of stuff can be done on it... But it better be for a retail of $3500...

He's been doing this for about 10 years, and I just learned to run it today... It stands about 4 feet tall...

He has some jacked up material... I've seen carbon fiber look a like, chrome, just about any pattern/color imaginable...

Wow... is it oldschool? or just huge? oh well if it cuts it cuts. They do have a lot of varieties of vynil, I usually just stick to the regular looking stuff cause the crazy wacko **** usually isn't available in 8 year. The CF stuff just wasn't convincing enough for me personally.
My dad uses... casmate something or other...

Untouchable11
01-11-2006, 12:50 AM
Wow... is it oldschool? or just huge? oh well if it cuts it cuts. They do have a lot of varieties of vynil, I usually just stick to the regular looking stuff cause the crazy wacko **** usually isn't available in 8 year. The CF stuff just wasn't convincing enough for me personally.
My dad uses... casmate something or other...

Yeah, my buddy bought a bunch of the carbon fiber stuff, and I personally thought it looked like ****... And yes, special patterns take FOREVER to order...

And oh yeah, its old school, I think, as I haven't seen the newer styles out...

UndercoverPunk
01-11-2006, 01:02 AM
Yeah, my buddy bought a bunch of the carbon fiber stuff, and I personally thought it looked like ****... And yes, special patterns take FOREVER to order...

And oh yeah, its old school, I think, as I haven't seen the newer styles out...

No I ment that usually the fancy pants stuff is only available in 3year (durability), I usually use the higher quality stuff (8 year).

Those prices really are nice looking man... not bad at all...

Untouchable11
01-11-2006, 01:45 AM
I just talked to my Dad, and generally speaking, it will be about $15-20 per square foot, with a minimum $10 charge...

Im guessing there will probably be some type of quantity discount.. This is a little bit of the info I figured I'd post before I go to bed...

Prowler573
01-11-2006, 01:49 AM
Do you weld the edges?
And what graphics program does your plotter use? Corel?

Untouchable11
01-11-2006, 01:51 AM
FlexiSign Pro is the program I use...

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by welding the edges, as this is my second day being familiar with this plotter and cutter...

Prowler573
01-11-2006, 01:56 AM
For oversized designs or graphics that involve conjoining several smaller pieces to make up the overall design some places just put the vinyls close to each other on the transfer paper to be mounted to its intended surface close enough together that the casual observer wouldn't notice. However if you were to get up close and really look at it you'd see that what originally appeared to be one big piece of vinyl is really comprised of several smaller pieces placed close to one another.

Better graphics shops (like the one where a close friend of mine works) weld the edges of the various smaller pieces to make what actually ends up as one big vinyl even if it started as several smaller ones.

I do not know the specific process involved in this - that's just what my buddy who does this ish for a living (the same guy who made the graphic I posted above) told me.

UndercoverPunk
01-11-2006, 02:00 AM
For oversized designs or graphics that involve conjoining several smaller pieces to make up the overall design some places just put the vinyls close to each other on the transfer paper to be mounted to its intended surface close enough together that the casual observer wouldn't notice. However if you were to get up close and really look at it you'd see that what originally appeared to be one big piece of vinyl is really comprised of several smaller pieces placed close to one another.

Better graphics shops (like the one where a close friend of mine works) weld the edges of the various smaller pieces to make what actually ends up as one big vinyl even if it started as several smaller ones.

I do not know the specific process involved in this - that's just what my buddy who does this ish for a living (the same guy who made the graphic I posted above) told me.

You wouldn't need to do that unless you were doing something HUGE and solid.... they probably do inkjet stickers too don't they?

Untouchable11
01-11-2006, 02:02 AM
I believe that he may weld them, but I'm not for sure. I've only seen a couple signs that large that required that. The cutter is pretty big, and has about a 32-36" cutting plane.

I'll get some pictures of actual work tomorrow... I'll show you guys what I've been working on...

Untouchable11
01-11-2006, 02:04 AM
You wouldn't need to do that unless you were doing something HUGE and solid...

exactly..

He made hotel signs a couple years ago, and I know that he welded them. He layed the sign print facing down, then put a piece that connected the two smaller pieces on the seam.

Those signs have been up for about 8 years now... and are still holding strong, outside of the wood decaying...

Prowler573
01-11-2006, 02:06 AM
You wouldn't need to do that unless you were doing something HUGE and solid.... they probably do inkjet stickers too don't they?

It probably isn't totally necessary to do so on projects that weren't truly huge but this particular graphics shop does it on all projects regardless of size. I cannot say with any certainty that this is company policy, per se, but my friend (who is the graphics design/production manager - he's been at this for almost 10 years now) claims it both makes for better product as well as happier customers. He's a bit **** that way - somewhat of a perfectionist.

Inkjet stickers? Yep. If it involves custom graphics of any kind (outdoor 7yr vinyl, screen printing on Tshirts, etc etc etc) they do it.

UndercoverPunk
01-11-2006, 02:12 AM
It probably isn't totally necessary to do so on projects that weren't truly huge but this particular graphics shop does it on all projects regardless of size. I cannot say with any certainty that this is company policy, per se, but my friend (who is the graphics design/production manager - he's been at this for almost 10 years now) claims it both makes for better product as well as happier customers. He's a bit **** that way - somewhat of a perfectionist.

Inkjet stickers? Yep. If it involves custom graphics of any kind (outdoor 7yr vinyl, screen printing on Tshirts, etc etc etc) they do it.

My dad really wants an inkjet plotter, but for something he just does on the side he can't justify spending that much... it would be sweet though.

cyantist
01-11-2006, 03:24 AM
I also do this in my spare time.. I have a Roland CAMM-1 and use Flexi as well, although I do most of my designing in Illustrator then export as an .EPS..

If this is only your second day, then you have much to learn.. But it's fun, at least I think so.. Good luck with it..

DiamondFanatic
01-11-2006, 04:05 AM
Yeah you can count me in for a series of smaller rear pass window sized stickers... I can work out the designs in photoshop and send them to you as a PDF? does that work? Let me know as your schedule for it allows...

Untouchable11
01-11-2006, 11:31 AM
Yeah you can count me in for a series of smaller rear pass window sized stickers... I can work out the designs in photoshop and send them to you as a PDF? does that work? Let me know as your schedule for it allows...

Yes, it allows input of .PDF.

I found the machine I have, it is called an IOLINE Super 88..

And yes, I know I have a lot to learn, but I find this stuff to be interesting, so it shouldn't be too bad...

DZNUTTS
01-11-2006, 01:17 PM
i'm in........could I just send you a drawing?

maldecido33
01-11-2006, 01:24 PM
count me in

pwayzjellyroll
01-11-2006, 01:37 PM
Interested in 4 smaller decals, pm me if you get a chance.

jalverson
01-11-2006, 02:05 PM
Interested In 2 Side To Side Winshield Decals, So I'm In

Untouchable11
01-11-2006, 02:31 PM
i'm in........could I just send you a drawing?

Yeah, that would work, any type of image will always be easier, as I can just import it into the program, size it, clean it up, and cut...

My email is rcolwell {at} bradley.edu....

Interested In 2 Side To Side Winshield Decals, So I'm In

Ok, that works.. It is always easiest if you have an idea in mind, because I do not currently have any designs, or templates to go off of..

Interested in 4 smaller decals, pm me if you get a chance.

Ok, you will have a PM shortly..

On a side note, I'm going to try to create my gallery here, and put some images of work that has been done here.

I will also try to get a link that shows all of the colors available...

Thanks,

Ry

jalverson
01-11-2006, 02:42 PM
no prob bro, i can draw something up tonight. and i will hit u up tomorrow

saywhat?
01-11-2006, 02:45 PM
yo, please get at me on aim, untouchable.

Untouchable11
01-11-2006, 02:49 PM
Im at work right now, I will be on later aroudn 5-5:30ish..

saywhat?
01-11-2006, 02:52 PM
kool, just get that price if u would

baseballer1100
01-11-2006, 02:53 PM
Are these like stickers or banners?

Untouchable11
01-11-2006, 03:03 PM
kool, just get that price if u would

Which Price would that be? I must have over looked something...

Are these like stickers or banners?

These are like stickers, heavy duty stickers... That you see people put on windows, or across the top of windshields...

Untouchable11
01-11-2006, 03:11 PM
I'll just post the general pricing, that is set up as of right now...

There will be a $10 minimal charge on decals..

As for smaller logos, they will be in the range of $15-20 per sq. foot

There may be a higher charge on special patterns, or colors, as they have to be special ordered, and they may take a bit longer due to having to order the vinyl..

Generally, the more simple the text or design is, the cheaper it will be, and vice versa for larger and more intricate decals
Shipping shouldn't be much on decals, as they are very very light.

I guess that I'm really not supposed to get into too much free lance, because of copy rights an all that nonsense, but there are a few general templates that I have, and I will have photoshop soon.

NathanMc
01-12-2006, 02:40 PM
good luck on it, it's alot harder then yo uthink..I've had my business going for 3 years now..it's how I make my living and it took about a year to learn everything you need to know..and I still learn **** everyday.