PDA

View Full Version : Focal Reputation

OnYrMrk
01-10-2006, 02:52 PM
I have been reading on here quite a few of you have issues with Focal.

I read that they are overrated pieces of sh*t and that you would just rather use them as a boat anchor rather than use them in your car.

I would like some concrete evidence proving that they are overrated or pieces of sh*t like you guys seem to make them out to be.

I don't bad mouth any type of speaker because I believe that all speaker manufacturers appeal to certain type of consumer. I am sure that some of the Daytons, Seas Lotus, and Morel speakers are phenominal, but you won't hear me say they **** in one way or the other.

Certain members here never have a good thing to say about any speaker manufacturer unless it is what they run, or what they build. We are here to promote the sport of car audio, not to support our checkbooks.

I haven't been online with this website because of all the backstabbing done to people who choose that they want "Focal" or "DLS" or "Alpine" or whatever. Rather than supporting their decision to buy another manufacturer's equipment, it seems that all you guys want to do is steer them away from their desire, and try to lure them to your desire. Too may speaker pimps here for me.

I will continue to help out those who are interested in bettering their stereo speakers one way or the other. If you don't choose Focal, I am not going to cut you down into feeling that you must buy Focal. I wouldn't think others here would do that, but then again, we can't all be right.

I just hope that this site caters to the sport, rather than the product. Support the newb, the competitors and the experts and this site will rule in the CarAudio Forum realm.

Joe

bri487
01-10-2006, 03:00 PM
focal makes a great speaker. they arent overpriced IMO. people just bash companies not even having used them or been around them. it is just imaturity. i highly doubt people on this site have used half of the stuff they comment on.

Alpineinstaller
01-10-2006, 03:04 PM
:popcorn:

Dr. Dan
01-10-2006, 03:13 PM
Focal makes awesome speakers.
In the studio, I use a set of active Dynaudio monitors, and a set of KRKs that use Focal drivers. The Focals have a much clearer midrange and treble and have a wider soundstage.
They're both great, just different.

BTW, Did you make your custom crossovers yourself?

OnYrMrk
01-10-2006, 03:25 PM
no sorry, the crossovers were designed by my lead installer at Audio Midwest.

I don't have the patience to do that. Actually they don't sound as good as I had hoped, so we may go with the crossovers that came with the K3P's and see if there is a difference.

bikejunkie223
01-10-2006, 03:27 PM
I like focals, but prefer the tweeters that Dls makes- some of those focal tweeters will saw your ear off they are so bright. That's the thing about speakers- they are massively subjective, and install/vehicle dependant- I love my Dls UP6's, but can't say they will sound awesome in every car. I had some Diamond S6's- and they sound way better in my brothers WRX than they did in my car. I don't have any problem with Focal at all.

OnYrMrk
01-10-2006, 03:47 PM
I had the older TN45 tweeters in the PolyKevlar KF's and they really sounded harsh, but with these new TN-52 tweeters, the sound is still quite bright, but more controllable and easier to manipulate. I would have tried other brands, but I sorta got a very sweet deal and psudo-sponsorship so take what you can get.

I still want to hear some DLS' I have heard too many good things about them to discount their capabilities.

bikejunkie223
01-10-2006, 03:56 PM
Dls speakers kick ***- the tweets are very smooth and rich- much more laid back thatn most of the focals I have heard. Focals have a bit more edge/snap to the midbass too (IMO) I really love my up6's and think they are the best speaker that isn't a set of $800 Dynaudios. I think for some cars a brighter tweet is better (My bro's WRX for instance, but in my car I take the smoothness of the silk dome. The Polk db 6500's in my wife's Element are the definition of bright in there- those things will slice your ear off with HU power!

3.5Max6spd
01-11-2006, 05:07 PM
I dont recommend Focal to newbs for several reasons..

1) They will not appreciate the true Focal sound throwing them in the avg oem location type installs.
2) Newbs dont tune.

I've heard unreal Focal setups, but I've heard twice as many ****** ones.
Its not the speakers, its the application . IMO these speakers are for the more experienced users that can unlock the magic behind them with ample processing. They are afterall some of the most high energy, midrange rich drivers on the caraudio market.

I absolutely love their subwoofers.

Their Power tweeters are plainly not my style , they give me too much listening fatigue. Perhaps a great audition tweeter, but I could not not live with them in my daily driver.

spicmonster
01-11-2006, 05:30 PM
anyone a dealer for focal here??

slick316
01-11-2006, 07:00 PM
I just helped my friend install his K2P components in his Jetta, and let me tell you, they sound incredible. He was using the same speakers I am currently using, Diamond Audio D971. I really like my Diamonds, but his K2P's sounded better, the tweeter was more detailed and more clear, but not as harsh. Midbass wasn't as pronounced as the D9's, but there was more upper midbass with the K2P's while the D9's had a deeper, lower midbass.
I have a couple K2P midbass's and the Utopia Be tweeters that I will installing in my car soon, I am getting tired of the kick panels for daily driving. Hopefully my Be tweeters sound good (I am sure they will with the way those tweeters from the K2P set sounded).
I don't like the Access line or whatever there low low end is, but thats understandable, its a low end line. The rest of there stuff sounds great and is appropriately priced in my opinion.

camry_tuner
01-11-2006, 08:29 PM
i just got my focal 165v2's installed, and i love them. the mids r thrown in the doors, and the tweets are sticky taped to my sails, the imaging isnt great, but at least i got the tweets to point to opposite headrests =D

squeak9798
01-11-2006, 08:32 PM
The irony here, ofcourse, is that you start a thread complaining about how we should promote the sport and not the products....yet it's apparent the thread's intention was to promote Focal and "restore" their reputation...which is remarkably (*gasp*) what speakers you yourself run.

So, what were you saying again about the sport, not the equipment, in this thread titled "Focal Reputation" and started by a person who's running Focal, complaining of "certain people" badmouthing Focal ..... ?? You know...that whole point about people having their own agendas (like promoting Focal) and how that shouldn't be what the site is about.... ?? What part of that whole rant do you yourself not fall into.....??

Last I checked, people were entitled to their own opinion, regardless of whether or not it agrees with your own. Live with it. Deal with it. Move on.