PDA

View Full Version : Audio System recommendations

georgiejr
01-10-2006, 02:00 PM
Hi,

I want to play DVD's, just the audio part since I have a lot of DVD concert videos (looking at the Alpine 9860, Pioneer evh-p7000 or dvh-p5000mp, or the jvc adv6160)

I have a 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew cab and planning to have a 5.1 surround in the future. In the meantime, I would like to upgrade my factory speakers to either the 165K2P focals components for the fronts or Boston Acoustics Pro60, and some co-axs for the rears.

Can anybody advise which is a better choice the focals or Boston acoustics. Also, I need your recommendations for the co-axials for the rears. I want a good base without the sub for now. Another thing, please include the amp that would power these speakers. I am ignorant in the wattage stuff and so on and I don't want these installers to put one over me.

I will be upgrading to a 5.1 surround later on by adding maybe an Alpine/Pioneer digital processor with the accompanying sub. maybe you can recommend the sub for now. I want the Frontier to look as stock as possible.

thank you for all your recommendations.

msrpIZtooMUCH
01-13-2006, 10:43 PM
Neither speaker that you mentioned would leave you dissapointed. Which is better.....? Who knows? It's all a matter of taste.

As for the rears, dont make them a priority. Mids and highs are both very directional in nature and when they are coming from behind you, you are not going to hear the difference between a 75 dollar set of speakers and a 500 dollar set of speakers. But, when the mids and highs are coming from in front of you, thats another story.

When you select an amp to power the speakers, just look at the specifications from the speaker manufacturer and add at least 25%....thats what I do. Headroom is a good thing. Remember that. As long as everything is tuned properly and common sence is used, no damage will occure from the overpowing itself.

Choose a sub that is SQ oriented. There are many options, but to get started look into RE and Image Dynamics.