PDA

View Full Version : Infinity 4X6 Wont fit...help pls

canadian_mofo
01-09-2006, 05:02 PM
Ok so i got my infinity reference 4X6's today for my 96 sierra reg cab to replace the stock ones i have in the rear. Take out the olds detach them and before soldering i tried putting them in to see how they fit. Well they dont. The magnet is to **** wide and i cant fit it in. What should i do about this? Im new at this but figured this would be the easiest part of replacing the stock system and its already not going well.

~Magick_Man~
01-09-2006, 06:20 PM
well we actually just put those same ones (4 x 6 plates) in my dad's 90' extended cab sierra yesterday.
it just took a bit of trimming around the speaker opening.
trimmed the little lip off on the bottom half of the opening.
if you can get a picture it might help.
are your speakers in the rear (c) pillar?

~Magick_Man~

rocky 59
01-09-2006, 06:49 PM
i put some in my s10 reg cab. they required a little push but then just screwed them in and its all good

canadian_mofo
01-09-2006, 06:51 PM
its a reg cab so they are placed on the side wall just back of the door. How did you trim the metal?

canadian_mofo
01-09-2006, 06:52 PM
its not a matter of pushing them, i think if i did that they would end up getting wrecked. Its also a real pain when the bloody magnet keeps wanting to stick to the side.

rocky 59
01-09-2006, 06:52 PM
mine were in the dash.

canadian_mofo
01-09-2006, 06:59 PM
yeh if it was a matter of cutting some of the interior plastic thats not problem but the hole where the 4X6 go are a cut out in the actual frame of the truck. So i dunno how i would go about squeezing them into there. May end up taking it to a installation shop.

~Magick_Man~
01-09-2006, 08:28 PM
we just used i jigsaw
if you use a jigsaw or whatever you use make sure the blade isnt long enough to reach the outer skin on the truck :)
it was pretty easy and took about 2 minutes to cut both of them.
and yeah the magnet is kind of a biotch :)

what exactly is hitting, the basket or the actual magnet?

~Magick_Man~

canadian_mofo
01-09-2006, 08:43 PM
cant get the magnet past say 1" into the cut out for the 4X6. Didnt know a jigsaw was able to cut metal like that. Thanks for the advice.

~Magick_Man~
01-10-2006, 12:17 AM
well there are different jigsaw blades for cutting different materials (wood, metal, etc...)
i would use a metal blade but a sharp wood blade can work just wont be alot of fun to use. and the wood ones seem to usually be longer which might be long enough to hit the outer skin.

~Magick_Man~