PDA

View Full Version : kenwood X889 or 25th anniversary

makdaddy
01-08-2006, 06:13 PM
Well
I need help choosing.
pros and cons of these 2 units.
I have priced them new. about $150 difference.

Is it worth the extra coin it for the ANNIVERSARY EDITION XXV-01D

Dozy_production
01-09-2006, 12:03 PM
the difference: screen size, color and quality. thats about it. IMO, the x889 screen is too cramped for me, therefore i want a xxv-01d.

makdaddy
01-09-2006, 10:27 PM
Well
I found a great deal on a brand new KENWOOD XXV-01D MP3 WMA AAC CD PLAYER

$300 Plus shipping

Cant wait to get it in the GTP

Greg

g8rforester
01-09-2006, 10:38 PM
For that price, you can't go wrong!

I love mine

makdaddy
01-19-2006, 07:49 PM
Well
we got the deck installed today. no regrets, this thing is AWSOME.
I need to play with it for a while.

heyman421
01-19-2006, 07:54 PM
Let us know how you like it! Mine's been waiting to be installed until i can make up my mind on some new comps to go in at the same time, and i'm getting antsy.

Prowler573
01-19-2006, 07:57 PM
Well
we got the deck installed today. no regrets, this thing is AWSOME.
I need to play with it for a while.

I had the same experience, makdaddy ~ it took me awhile to get used to navigating the menu system and having a deck with no radio preset buttons took some getting accustomed to (but I've got the hang of it now!)

But anyway - good luck with the new HU - I love mine and with a single exception I haven't seen anyone yet that didn't love it as soon as they got it in their dash! :)

makdaddy
03-29-2006, 12:12 AM
Let us know how you like it! Mine's been waiting to be installed until i can make up my mind on some new comps to go in at the same time, and I'm getting antsy.

Well it has been several month's on the install.
I love this deck, in fact i regret not buying Prowlers in time.:crap:

I need to get a new deck for my truck, Its under restoration and it may be several months before i get to drive it. I have been looking at used decks, some older alpine as well. But i came back to this thread. I was thinking of putting a 889 in the truck, but for a little extra coin i can put the xxv in.

Advantages of 2 units, I get 2 face plates, i could move from truck to car if need be. I tend to keep stuff for ever, so i will probably keep these units for years down the road.
Also if i do decide to sell 2 or 3 years down the road. These units will probably be like the older Alpines 9835 and 7998. still bringing top dollar.

Well looks like I talked my self into another xxv :)

MBrock4u
03-29-2006, 05:28 AM
Yes they are sweet head units!

heyman421
03-29-2006, 04:09 PM
Ya, i finally got my xxv in, and i looove it!

It's insanely hard to get sounding right, but once you do, you really appreciate the seemingly infinite tweakabilitiy that all the controls give you.

It's even more tweakable than my 979, i just miss the pro-logic, which was a pretty neat feature.

I'm just waiting for my o-scope to come in the mail now, so i can set my gains up right and really start cranking this beast!

billybrown66
03-29-2006, 04:15 PM
Ya, i finally got my xxv in, and i looove it!

It's insanely hard to get sounding right, but once you do, you really appreciate the seemingly infinite tweakabilitiy that all the controls give you.

why does everyone say this is a difficult unit to tune? seems like most of the reviews i've read complain about how it's hard to tune.

heyman421
03-29-2006, 04:32 PM
It's because everything, and i mean everything comes zeroed out, nothing comes with 'normal' factory settings.

You have to set all the DTA's for each speakers, crossovers, crossover slopes, and the eq is quite involved.

Rather than having bass, treble, and midrange levels, or even a 9-band eq or something similar, it has a fully adjustable 4-band eq, where you actually have to set the frequency midpoint for each of the 4 bands, the slope for the eq, and then of course the level.

And on top of that, you have all of the srs wow settings, which are focus enhancing, trubass enhancing, and a 'spacial' surround type setting. The kenwood also has settings for the type of cabin, and the types of speakers and subwoofers in the car.

There's just so many different settings, and each one plays upon the others, so it just takes a lot of tweaking to get everything just right.

It's not a bad thing, once it's setup it sounds better than any head unit i've used to date, excellons and alpines included.

Oh, and two loops that cause lots of frustration:

1) If you set all of your speaker settings, your levels, your crossovers, your phasing, and your dta's, BEFORE you tell the unit what type of speakers you have, or the cabin size, it will reset all of those settings!

~and~

2) If you forget to turn the internal amplifier off BEFORE you set all of your settings and gains, you're not getting the full 5v preouts, and you'll need to readjust all of them, your gains atleast. Once you turn off the internal amplifier, you gain the 5v preout, and the ability to turn the volume to 35/35 without distortion.

In all fairness, reading the INSTRUCTIONS front to back beforehand would've saved me a lot of time, but i was excited!!

billybrown66
03-29-2006, 04:39 PM
ahh i see. i'm curious, do you think using the cabin settings and speaker size settings actually help?

edit: did you notice a big difference with the internal amp turned off and on? i was planning on using the internal amp to power my rear speakers.

heyman421
03-29-2006, 04:44 PM
I think the speaker size settings just set a generalized crossover point and slope for your size speakers, and the cabin size setting sets an estimated DTA for your speakers. It's to help people like me who have no idea what they're doing get started setting everything up.

It also comes with 5 or 6 different pre-programmed eq settings also, just to help you get confident with tweaking everything.

heyman421
03-29-2006, 04:47 PM
For me the three hardest things were:

1.) Which crossover slope sounds the best, i can't tell much of a difference
2.) I had a hard time getting any midbass out of my front components
3.) Subwoofer DTA is hard to get perfect, because with most music, you can't even tell the sub's not perfectly aligned

twistedtrik
03-29-2006, 04:48 PM
I have the x889 and It seems to me that the cabin settings and speaker size settings actually do make a difference. I hadn't read how to set those when I first got my deck and it sounded pretty bad. Then as I read a little more, it all started to sound better little by little. I could still spend another 2 hours getting everything set, but for now it is fine where it's at.

Banshee28
03-29-2006, 05:40 PM
Does the 25th have Digital out?

FoxPro5
03-29-2006, 05:57 PM
So are any of you guys running active off of the Anniversary deck???

makdaddy
03-29-2006, 07:29 PM
No Digital out that I am aware of.

makdaddy
03-29-2006, 07:30 PM
So are any of you guys running active off of the Anniversary deck???

Please explain active for me?:nerd:

EvilSquid
03-29-2006, 08:01 PM
I have had this headunit for a few months and cannot say enough about it. Its truely the most unbelievable headunit Ive ever had...

Im not sure I quite understand all of the features on it yet.. Im slowly absorbing as much as I can, but its been a delight to own.

makdaddy
03-29-2006, 08:10 PM
For me the three hardest things were:

1.) Which crossover slope sounds the best, i can't tell much of a difference
2.) I had a hard time getting any midbass out of my front components
3.) Subwoofer DTA is hard to get perfect, because with most music, you can't even tell the sub's not perfectly aligned

I agree with the subs. I also added a xxv-03a for the sub, I just got the cable to interface with the deck, so when I install the new 12" subs I will connect the cable, I hope to really be able to tweak the subs more from the deck, depending on Music type.
And on the crossover slopes. I found that adding the higher octave cut off versus the cut off freq was better in my application. ex 18Db versus 9Db

FoxPro5
03-29-2006, 11:22 PM
Please explain active for me?:nerd:

Meaning that you defeated the internal amp on the deck and are using it's onboard crossovers to cross over the frequiencies that would normally be handled by a passive crossover between an amp and the speaker. I see that it's 3 way capable, just curious if anyone is using it to it's full advantage ;)

makdaddy
03-30-2006, 03:09 AM
Meaning that you defeated the internal amp on the deck and are using it's onboard crossovers to cross over the frequiencies that would normally be handled by a passive crossover between an amp and the speaker. I see that it's 3 way capable, just curious if anyone is using it to it's full advantage ;)

Foxpro

I need to check with my installer. I know that I can adjust the slopes and freq roll off on the speakers, I believe we activated the internal amp. I also had to buy a PAC device to interface with the Bose Sysytem. But I do have active crossover points with the internal amp on, so I think the answer is yes??????

billybrown66
03-30-2006, 03:28 AM
it is not 3-way capable because you cannot bandpass.

makdaddy
03-30-2006, 03:36 AM
it is not 3-way capable because you cannot bandpass.

but you can.
I can set the cut off FREQ for each set of speakers Front _Rear_Sub ??? As well as octave slope.

FoxPro5
03-30-2006, 07:44 AM
but you can.
I can set the cut off FREQ for each set of speakers Front _Rear_Sub ??? As well as octave slope.

Nope, my fault you can't BP the mids. I read through the specs really quickly and didn't take that into account. Nice deck, but not going to work for us active types :crap:

Crossover (XOver):
Front High Pass Filter:
Center Frequency: 30Hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 60Hz, 70Hz, 80Hz, 90Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, 150Hz, 180 Hz, 220Hz, 250Hz, or Through (no filter)
Slope: 12dB/Oct, 18dB/Oct, or 24dB/Oct
Rear High Pass Filter:
Center Frequency: 30Hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 60Hz, 70Hz, 80Hz, 90Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, 150Hz, 180 Hz, 220Hz, 250Hz, or Through (no filter)
Subwoofer Low Pass Filter: (adjustable when Subwoofer is "On")
Phase: Normal or Reverse

billybrown66
03-30-2006, 01:17 PM
Nice deck, but not going to work for us active types :crap:

yeah, that's why it's the perfect deck for people running passive, like me:) .

BTW, i just watched fight club the other night.

TYLER: An expired community college student ID card. What did you used to study, Raymond K. Hessel?

RAYMOND: S-S-Stuff.

TYLER: "Stuff." Were the mid-terms hard?

Prowler573
03-30-2006, 01:22 PM
but you can.
You can set the lowest frequency to be sent to the front and rear and the highest frequency sent to the subs but it does not have the ability to bandpass any of these (meaning you would set a HP filter frequency and a lowpass filter frequency for the same outputs)

The XXV-01D is NOT active-capable by itself.

FoxPro5
03-30-2006, 03:38 PM
yeah, that's why it's the perfect deck for people running passive, like me:) .

BTW, i just watched fight club the other night.

TYLER: An expired community college student ID card. What did you used to study, Raymond K. Hessel?

RAYMOND: S-S-Stuff.

TYLER: "Stuff." Were the mid-terms hard?

:laugh: Man I love that movie.....and the camio by Meatloaf (aka Robert Paulson) is just sweet.

BodegaBay
03-31-2006, 05:52 PM
For passive setup, the XXV-01D is arguably the best deck out there. And this is coming from someone who -in the past- adamantly refused to put Kenwood in the same breathe as "SQ."

Dozy_production
03-31-2006, 05:53 PM
what other types of decks have you used?

BodegaBay
03-31-2006, 06:03 PM
Sony CDX-C90. Alpine 7803s, 7982, 7939, 9815, 9855. Eclipse 8443, 8455. Clarion DRZ9255.

I've ran some pretty expensive decks but never used them to their potential for ACTIVE setups, just passive. They all sounded good but I was never satisfied with them in PASSIVE setups until I took a chance and tried the Kenwood 01D. In PASSIVE, the Kenwood just seems to integrate so much better than all the decks I've owned previously. Not thin like Alpine, not warm like Sony ES or Clarion, not digital like Eclipse. Mind you, some of those sonic characteristics are subject to personal taste. The 01D is just musical and full bodied. A real surprise.

Funny thing is that I'm now in the active experimental stage and will be looking at a new deck/processor combo -- again.

makdaddy
03-31-2006, 06:23 PM
Sony CDC-C90. Alpine S, 7982, 7939, 59609815, 9855. Eclipse 8443, 8455. Clarion DR'S.

I've ran some pretty expensive decks but never used them to their potential for ACTIVE setups, just passive. They all sounded good but I was never satisfied with them in PASSIVE setups until I took a chance and tried the Ken wood D. In PASSIVE, the Kenwood just seems to integrate so much better than all the decks I've owned previously. Not thin like Alpine, not warm like Sony ES or Clarion, not digital like Eclipse. Mind you, some of those sonic characteristics are subject to personal taste. The 01D is just musical and full bodied. A real surprise.

Funny thing is that I'm now in the active experimental stage and will be looking at a new deck -- again.

Well if you decide to get rid of the XXV IM me. I need another deck for a truck that I am restoring:)

Ignatowski
03-31-2006, 06:28 PM
a year ago I was pushin Kenwood Excelon's 789 and 889 and you all laughed at me..... next time listen to the old man,he knows he ****

BodegaBay
03-31-2006, 06:31 PM
Well if you decide to get rid of the XXvV IM me. I need another deck for a truck that I am restoring:)

Sure thing. I know I do have to sell it once I get back from road trip end of next week. It won't do me good with an active setup.

It's mint and two months old w/2-yr warranty receipt from Crutchfield. I'll send you a PM April 8th Mak.

BodegaBay
03-31-2006, 06:41 PM
a year ago I was pushin Kenwood Excelon's 789 and 889 and you all laughed at me..... next time listen to the old man,he knows he ****

Will do Ex, will do ;)

billybrown66
03-31-2006, 11:40 PM
just ordered mine from crutchfield. :veryhapp:

makdaddy
03-31-2006, 11:43 PM
just ordered mine from crutchfield. :veryhapp:

So Crutchfield still has some left? Interesting

billybrown66
03-31-2006, 11:54 PM
big time, not even low stock yet.

Prowler573
04-01-2006, 12:35 AM

Not all of us ;)
I reckon everyone knows here knows I am a loyal Kenwood fanboi (PV Audio calls me Senor Kenwood).

The first eXcelon deck I ever bought myself was a KDC-X569 that my ex-landlady is still rockin' in her Camry.

I dearly love my XXV-01D. It's sweet, period :thumbsup:

makdaddy
04-01-2006, 12:39 AM
Not all of us ;)
I reckon everyone knows here knows I am a loyal Kenwood fanboi (PV Audio calls me Senor Kenwood).

The first eXcelon deck I ever bought myself was a KDC-X569 that my ex-landlady is still rockin' in her Camry.

I dearly love my XXV-01D. It's sweet, period :thumbsup:

Prowler whats with the last quote in you SIG ???
Looks Mean LOL

Prowler573
04-01-2006, 12:52 AM
Prowler whats with the last quote in you SIG ???
Looks Mean LOL

I missed all the hubbub with davidwm but apparently there are more than a couple of forum members that aren't terribly impressed with his returning under another username after getting banned.

When IAmDeman posted what I have quoted it struck me as rather funny so I included it in my sig ;)

makdaddy
04-01-2006, 09:30 AM
I missed all the hubbub with davidwm but apparently there are more than a couple of forum members that aren't terribly impressed with his returning under another username after getting banned.

When IAmDeman posted what I have quoted it struck me as rather funny so I included it in my sig ;)

LOL

phantomdjx
04-01-2006, 03:27 PM
I just bought the xxv-01D off of crutchfield today. Can't wait to get it now!

Babs
04-03-2006, 03:24 PM
Well, I got my xxv-01d installed Friday night and had a little while to play with it sofar.. Blows the lower end alpine 9805 it replaced away.. completely. To be expected for a step up in dacs, processing and preamp quality.

So I'm also learning how much fun this deck is to optimize as well.. From some previous posts I think it's helped though:

I'm making some assumptions here.. Am I right???

-------------------------
SMS (Presets for DTA and Xover settings):

Cabin.. presets for Speaker Distance and Seat Position..
What a huge difference being able to adjust for seating position. Wow! :D Imaging and Soundstage just comes alive.. It's like bringing your seat from the corner over to the "sweet spot" in a nice home audio setup.

Front/Rear/Sub-W.. presets for Crossover settings..
Trust the presets or define my own? hmmmm :eyebrow:

SFC: (Place to access Crossover, DTA and seat position)

EQ: Presets "rock, jazz, pops, etc" (pops? :) are just presets rather than messing with the parametric EQ.. But at least for this one, they're in the same menu location.

WOW: I assume Effect setting "Through" diactivates all this WOW stuff.
What do you guys think of it?
I'm kind of a purist so I'm not into DSP stuff.. To me it's just 'distortion' added to the original music track.. But I gotta say the "focus" setting does 'something' interesting..
Is it just boosting the highs to make the tweets more punchy?

1st general impressions of the face.. I'll miss the preset buttons. Do you also find the toggle control button a little delicate? It's definitely no 9255 or 700II in terms of having a bulletproof front plate. I'll be gentle I guess.

zfactor
04-03-2006, 11:29 PM
dude wtf is that ^^^^ man thats nasty mods should pull that off here....

MrNiceGuy
04-04-2006, 12:39 AM
got some pics of the unit..i wanna see it

Babs
04-04-2006, 12:17 PM
Thank you to the administrator.. what was that all about. I don't want to know, hope they're banned.

Babs
04-04-2006, 12:20 PM
got some pics of the unit..i wanna see it

I'll try to get some when I get a chance but the faceplate can still be seen on crutchfields site. Looks like they're all bought up but they still have the details.. They must have JUST run out after I ordered mine.

heyman421
04-04-2006, 12:41 PM
Hey Babs, it looks like you've got the right idea about all of those settings ^^

Atleast that's what i concluded after playing with them, and noticing the cabin and speaker size adjustments just changed all of the other settings i had set. I'm sure you've noticed by now that the kenwood manual really stinks at explaining all of the dsp settings in any kind of detail, i would think they'd want to tell you about all the great things the deck can do, but they leave it up to you.

I'm not sure what any of the SRS WOW settings do, the trubass is obvious, it makes up for lost bass on mp3's, but i don't think it affects the sub-channel, which is disappointing, since most of the frequencies you lose ARE in the sub-bass area, which is why a lot of mp3's don't hit 'clean' on systems, the bass just ends up soudning like noise. I'm not sure what the focus or the WOW do, and i don't know what the difference is between 'through' and 'off'.... I would think that's redundant unless it does something else. I think the wow effect is supposed to be a pseudo-surround sound thing, i'm not sure, i can't tell a big difference, the last year's exellon had pro-logic which was cool, but i don't know what the WOW does for the life of me.

And i x2 thanks for taking that pic down, i was actually waiting to reply until i found out if this thread was gonna be locked or not, whoever's doing this is def. deceasing the productivity on the forum.

Babs
04-04-2006, 01:33 PM
Thanks.. Yeah I figured the trubass and focus stuff is kind of like "loudness" maybe.. The focus is explained as 'virtually raising the soundstage'. Sounds to me like a high-mid frequency boost for the fronts.. adding more "presence". Trubass I think is just a bass boost that's separate from the EQ settings.. I would try to dissengage the WOW and DSP settings until you had EQ, Crossover and DTA settings where you like them. Then maybe play a little bit with the WOW settings.

On the crossover, I did it by ear.. EQ as well, but I'll bet there's a better way.. Maybe test tones and my old trusty radioshack spl meter. That's the home theater method unless you have some analyzer software and microphone either in a laptop or built into the receiver or preamp/processor. Goal I imagine is the same.. A flat response throughout the range.. Which I'll bet is a lofty idea in a CAR cabin.

Babs
04-04-2006, 01:33 PM
Thanks.. Yeah I figured the trubass and focus stuff is kind of like "loudness" maybe.. The focus is explained as 'virtually raising the soundstage'. Sounds to me like a high-mid frequency boost for the fronts.. adding more "presence". Trubass I think is just a bass boost that's separate from the EQ settings.. I would try to dissengage the WOW and DSP settings until you had EQ, Crossover and DTA settings where you like them. Then maybe play a little bit with the WOW settings.

On the crossover, I did it by ear.. EQ as well, but I'll bet there's a better way.. Maybe test tones and my old trusty radioshack spl meter. That's the home theater method unless you have some analyzer software and microphone either in a laptop or built into the receiver or preamp/processor. Goal I imagine is the same.. A flat response throughout the range.. Which I'll bet is a lofty idea in a CAR cabin.