PDA

View Full Version : Matching amplifier wattage to speakers

Lurius
01-06-2006, 04:06 PM
Alright, I decided on speakers a few days ago and I think I have decided on an amp for them, but its a little higher power than the RMS on the speakers so I was going to adjust the input sensitivity to help with that. My question is do I really need or want to match my amps power to the RMS rating on my speakers, or will a little under that rating be better?(example: powering a 90rms speaker with 70rms)

-Lurius

PS: Speakers are some 60RMS infinity kappa plate 4x6 and infinity reference 6010cs(90rms) components for the front doors.

alphakenny1
01-06-2006, 04:20 PM
in general it is okay to give more power that the speaker's rms rating. also in general a speaker can handle more than its rms rating daily. the key here is just to watch your gains. set your gain correctly using a dmm or the sticky in this forum.

DBfan187
01-06-2006, 04:23 PM
generally with music, you're only using around 10% of your amps rated power anyway.

Lurius
01-06-2006, 04:29 PM
Ok, so if I powered a 90rms(per channel) to a 60rms speaker it wouldent blow durring daily use because it would rarely, if ever see the maximum power?

-Lurius

DBfan187
01-06-2006, 04:32 PM
yes, just don't clip the amp.

DIGIDIGIBOMBO
01-06-2006, 04:44 PM
honnestly after personally tring the DMM....i found that the DMM think works well for speakers and a 1KHz test tone, and doesnt work at all when using the 50Hz to set the subwoofer gain level. The sub is barely moving:D now i do it by ear.And yes the only think i get sure of, is that the amp can provide enough rms to the speakers, so its more dificult for me to clip the amp in order to feel that speakers are well powered.

mach999
01-06-2006, 06:49 PM
I was wondering the same thing. I've tried to ask this very question for about a week now but it won't let me start a thread.

thefunkybunch
01-06-2006, 08:32 PM
CLEAN power is more important than the AMOUNT of power. i've heard 12.5 watt amps that absolutely blow away 1200 watt amps. you'd be better off with a good CLEAN amp that makes less power than an amp that makes more power but more distortion.

pwnt by pat
01-06-2006, 09:01 PM
honnestly after personally tring the DMM....i found that the DMM think works well for speakers and a 1KHz test tone, and doesnt work at all when using the 50Hz to set the subwoofer gain level. The sub is barely moving:D now i do it by ear.And yes the only think i get sure of, is that the amp can provide enough rms to the speakers, so its more dificult for me to clip the amp in order to feel that speakers are well powered.

Then you did it wrong or didn't have your other settings right... or the subs just ****.

FoxPro5
01-06-2006, 10:06 PM
CLEAN power is more important than the AMOUNT of power. i've heard 12.5 watt amps that absolutely blow away 1200 watt amps. you'd be better off with a good CLEAN amp that makes less power than an amp that makes more power but more distortion.

Exact o mondo! Remember this to the day you die!! That said, I ran 425 watts rms to my MB Quart Premiums for a few weeks just to see what would happen - the result = really loud and clear music:laugh:

DIGIDIGIBOMBO
01-08-2006, 09:11 AM
nope not doing anything wrong, because no matter what i am doing, at the end i am getting the right voltage...with all subs this is hapening to me, i guess the cd music i use must be recorded at a very low level, thats y the sub is barely moving...dunno:S for example if i have a sub rated at 4ohms SVC, 400rms=>V=40volts, so if i am getting the 40V=> i am not doing anything wrong nomatter what are the eq settings..etc

DIGIDIGIBOMBO
01-29-2006, 05:18 AM
am i correct or what??i really cannot undersatnd why this is hapening to me when setting gains for the subs:( output is so ****ing poor:(

Lets even imagine that my output was great etc...for some music i find myself playing with the eq HU ex: setting L=+3, on some songs i use L=0, but when using the DMM method, after the setting is over i must forget about the HU and only remember what is my maximum unclipped volume right? i cannot play with the L/M/H settings anymore.