PDA

View Full Version : My new Viper!

Kenny Pollock
01-06-2006, 05:59 AM
I got my alarm installed (finally! it's been sitting here for weeks) and I love it! I never thought I'd get so excited about an alarm.

I got the Viper 791-XV from hccafan for $170, got it installed for $170... it's got so many features! We went to the mall and when you remote start (which works SO far away) the turning signals flash on and off, so we found our car easily. The brake turns the car off after it's been started, but if the key's in the ignition it stays on when you brake.

The factory keyless entry system had the trunk popper, but it feels a lot better using an LCD pager to open the trunk ;) Ah, I'm just excited knowing my car has the security it needs and many convenience features. Any car I buy in the future will have this alarm installed or the up-to-date version of this model.

Blados
01-06-2006, 06:03 AM
Cograts. I just got mine installed yesterday. I'm as excited as you :veryhapp:

dak0ta_g33k
01-06-2006, 12:03 PM
have fun. the only downside is i change the battery in the pager waay too often

Kenny Pollock
01-06-2006, 09:22 PM
have fun. the only downside is i change the battery in the pager waay too often
Yeah... but I have rechargeable AAA's ;)

imaspaceguy90
01-06-2006, 09:24 PM
nice deal mang,

trevor87
01-06-2006, 09:30 PM
I saw the title and thought u bought a dodge viper lol, nice alarm too though

Raisedin305
01-06-2006, 10:02 PM
I saw the title and thought u bought a dodge viper lol, nice alarm too though:laugh: Can't wait until I get mine

HCCAfan
01-06-2006, 10:39 PM
yeah raisedin305, would love to have you buy one that i am saving for you.......:)
hope you guys love em, i know i love mine, and i wouldnt own nor sell anything i didnt have alot of faith in. :)

Kenny Pollock
01-06-2006, 10:43 PM
yeah raisedin305, would love to have you buy one that i am saving for you.......:)
hope you guys love em, i know i love mine, and i wouldnt own nor sell anything i didnt have alot of faith in. :)
Thanks again for the sale ;) I actually found out from someone a while ago that I also bought my Orion amp from you months ago via eBay... small world.

Both the alarm and the amp are AWESOME! I figure the alarm prevents theft once and it's paid for itself. They installed the blue LED and left the red LED from the stock "alarm" - when the car's locked it looks like the police are in my car, ha.

937DYTBOI
01-10-2006, 05:31 PM
i just got mine installed yesterday and love it so far. i need to know how to turn my alarm to the passive mode to where it will arm itself after 30 seconds or so after the key is out of the ignition.

HCCAfan
01-10-2006, 05:35 PM
should be in the installation or users manual.

937DYTBOI
01-10-2006, 05:42 PM
i looked but couldnt find it, all it told me was about the illumination for the remote and the chirp and vibrate modes. if you can find something let me know

baseballer1100
01-10-2006, 05:42 PM
SO installation was 170 dollars?

DZNUTTS
01-10-2006, 05:43 PM
I saw the title and thought u bought a dodge viper lol, nice alarm too though

lol, me too.

HCCAfan
01-10-2006, 05:47 PM
should be in the installation manual, towards the back, in the settings part. I dont have a manual handy to look it up for you, maybe someone else does?

baseballer1100
01-10-2006, 05:48 PM
From the look of this thread I want one.

Chevillac
01-10-2006, 05:50 PM
I liked mine to, I need to take it back to get it checked out again. I have mine programmed to open my fuel tank cover.

HCCAfan
01-10-2006, 05:51 PM
my roomy is gonna bring an installation manual home from the shop.

what your looking for is on page 41 of the installation manual, and the options for your choices are on 43. the installation manual is the one with the black/white print cover, says "Installation Manual"

Hope that helps.

937DYTBOI
01-10-2006, 06:00 PM
Ok good looking

saywhat?
01-10-2006, 06:02 PM
I got my alarm installed (finally! it's been sitting here for weeks) and I love it! I never thought I'd get so excited about an alarm.

I got the Viper 791-XV from hccafan for $170, got it installed for $170... it's got so many features! We went to the mall and when you remote start (which works SO far away) the turning signals flash on and off, so we found our car easily. The brake turns the car off after it's been started, but if the key's in the ignition it stays on when you brake.

The factory keyless entry system had the trunk popper, but it feels a lot better using an LCD pager to open the trunk ;) Ah, I'm just excited knowing my car has the security it needs and many convenience features. Any car I buy in the future will have this alarm installed or the up-to-date version of this model.

so u mean if someone hot wires the car, and presses the brake to put it in gear, the car shuts off? if so thats super bad ***!

baseballer1100
01-10-2006, 06:13 PM
^^^ if that is true i defintly want one

HCCAfan
01-10-2006, 06:23 PM
no, if someone presses the brake when the remote start is running, it will disable the alarm from powering the vehicle. so if someone hotwires the car, they will need to bypass the starter kill. I dont know too many people hotwiring "already running" cars. :) but if they tried to steal it while it was running, hit the brake to put it in gear, the car shuts off. then their attempt to hotwire the vehicle to start it would be blocked due to the starter kill.

baseballer1100
01-10-2006, 06:24 PM
Simply amazing so can installation be more then the actual unit itself?

HCCAfan
01-10-2006, 06:28 PM
yes, depending on the accessories you need. basic shop time is 4.5 hours, at about 45-60 bucks an hour normally. You might be able to do some bargaining, however for something like an alarm, i wouldnt use a backyard mechanic for unless he is good and you trust him. Remember, your weakest link is gonna be your downfall.

937DYTBOI
01-10-2006, 07:00 PM
i got mine installed for 175 cause i needed the ignition bypass for my vehicle , and i got the alrm for around the price HCCAFAN has his for. U got awesome deals man

baseballer1100
01-10-2006, 07:01 PM
So its hard to setup an alarm but i guess it's worth it in the long run

peoples
01-11-2006, 08:58 PM
I've got the 690vx, similar not quite as wonderful as 791....but the remote and range is the same. it lacks the remote start, and doesnt come with some of the extra modules. I installed mine myself. Was really easy I thought, compared to trying to install those ebay alarms, which dont come with "directions".

Anyway I'm really happy with it. Randomly though.....and this doesnt happen to much, but I swear my remote picks up some other signal which sometimes sets it off (the remote not the alarm)....it'll start singing its little song, I'll flip out, run outside, and my car is fine.....its even done it when I was driving in a parking garage.

I've had it installed for about 6 months now....no problems at all actually. It was time consuming to install it, for me about 4.5-5 hours, but I had to take a lot of stuff off in my car (dash, center console...to access the screws to take off the dash). All in all I was very pleased with the results. I got the alarm on hooked on tronics for a good deal. $140, I'll watch out for price drops on the 551T (or whatever model it is) for the remote start to add onto my alarm.

As for passive mode(in the install manual for the 690, probably the same for the 791),

One chip means on, two chips means off

the passive arming feature is feature # 1(basic menu)-option 7

1. Open a door
2. Turn the ignition on, then back off.
3. Hold down the valet switch for "3" seconds. The alarm will chirp once (indicating entry to the basic menu), release the valet switch.
4. Select a feature. Press and release the button 7 times. THen press and hold until alarm chips...7 times. Keep holding!
5. Activate the feature on and off using your remote lock button, unlock will disable the feature.
6. release the valet switch

Kenny Pollock
01-13-2006, 12:59 AM
Ewww, passive arming. I'm always afraid of accidently leaving the keys in the car...

seth350
01-14-2006, 03:18 PM
Hey, Im really interested in getting one of these alarms.

So let me make sure I understand all of this correctly...

The Viper 791xv comes with the remote start and keyless entry correct?
And if the alarm is armed and and the car is running and someone breaks in to steal it, and they apply the brake the vehicle shuts off?

What other features can be added?

HCCAfan
01-14-2006, 04:01 PM
yes, however some cars either need a module or relay to work with the factory door locks.
and it doesnt matter if your alarm is armed for the brake to work to shut off the car. if your car is armed, i am thinking that if you trigger it, it will shut off the remote start anyways.

seth350
01-14-2006, 04:05 PM
Oh ok....so, I would probably need to buy a module for my 92' Silverado?
Or how would I know if I need one?

HCCAfan
01-14-2006, 04:10 PM
that i dont know for sure. ask around if you do. i dont know if your truck is reverse polarity or not.

Perdonic
01-14-2006, 09:35 PM
Another feature is you can set your alarm while in your car driving, Can't remember the steps, but if your driving and stop at a red light and someone tries car jacking you and opens your door the motor will be killed and he can't start the car even with the keys in it unless he knows the valet code, the amount of beeps. this goes with when your not in the vehicle too so that if you leave your leaving from your car and someone confronts you and steals your keys he gets in and can't start the car because the valet code he doesn't know it.

Randy Savage
01-14-2006, 09:54 PM
There's a breakswitch on one of the remote start harnesses that will kill the RS if the break is engaged...it's common on all DEI remote starts, and AFAIK, all other remote starts.

Oh ok....so, I would probably need to buy a module for my 92' Silverado?
Or how would I know if I need one?

You shouldn't need one. GM only started doing the Passlock in 95, so you shouldn't need anything.

What does your key look like? Do you have a spare key? And, if so...is it a plain steel key? If it is, and if it can start the car, you don't need a bypass.

Blados
01-14-2006, 09:56 PM
Another feature is you can set your alarm while in your car driving, Can't remember the steps, but if your driving and stop at a red light and someone tries car jacking you and opens your door the motor will be killed and he can't start the car even with the keys in it unless he knows the valet code, the amount of beeps. this goes with when your not in the vehicle too so that if you leave your leaving from your car and someone confronts you and steals your keys he gets in and can't start the car because the valet code he doesn't know it.
You hold the lock button for 2 seconds until it beeps.

Perdonic
01-18-2006, 01:24 AM
You hold the lock button for 2 seconds until it beeps.
That would be it, I didn't have the install instructions infront of me and was too lazy to get up.:p:

HCCAfan
01-31-2006, 09:21 PM
There's a breakswitch on one of the remote start harnesses that will kill the RS if the break is engaged...it's common on all DEI remote starts, and AFAIK, all other remote starts.

You shouldn't need one. GM only started doing the Passlock in 95, so you shouldn't need anything.

What does your key look like? Do you have a spare key? And, if so...is it a plain steel key? If it is, and if it can start the car, you don't need a bypass.
he was asking about the door locks, not the passlock. thats why i said i didnt know if it was reverse polarity :)
by the way, you never log into aim ****** :( hit me up bro.