PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Setting MB Crossovers!!!

mako22
01-02-2006, 09:06 PM
Just got my MBQ RCE216 6.5's installed, they sound loud but I need to adjust the crossovers I think - way to much mids/vocals pumping out, I have a massive headache after trying to tune them via the HU.:wallbash:

Can anyone advise me on how to adjust the passive crossovers that come with the speakers to get the sound I'm looking for? I have been doing some searching and figure for one thing I should reduce the db of the woofer vs. what the tweeter is at - but I don't know what Hz to set the crossover at to soften up the mids.....

imaspaceguy90
01-02-2006, 09:09 PM
usually your manual will tell you that, all setting ar ediffrent for diffrent speakers , the manufacteres website might also help.

mako22
01-02-2006, 09:27 PM
the MB Quart manual is all in GERMAN dammit

edit: found the English button...lol

still no instrux on how to actually change the crossover settings, anyone with experience please help a noob....

FoxPro5
01-03-2006, 12:14 AM
the MB Quart manual is all in GERMAN dammit

edit: found the English button...lol

still no instrux on how to actually change the crossover settings, anyone with experience please help a noob....

The only thing you will be able to adjust on the passive x-over that came with the Quart components is the tweeter attenuation. What this does is allow you to turn down the volume so to speak on the tweeters. You can't change the x-over settings on a passive x-over...that's the point of having it...it crosses over the frequencies for you. You will have to either use the x-over settings on your deck or on your amp for that.

If you have any more questions, just ask....don't feel bad about being a newb...EVERYone was a newb at one point!!!

mako22
01-03-2006, 11:55 AM
If you have any more questions, just ask....don't feel bad about being a newb...EVERYone was a newb at one point!!!

thanks - follow up question - my issue is that my Panansonic HU does not have a real EQ function (it has people snowboarding though LOL) and these MB Quarts make my music sound like the "V" shaped EQ curve that I like to listen to music with is upside down (way too much mid/vocals!!!). It gives me an instant headache.

Is that something the attentuation will fix a little or am I going to have to either:

a) scrap the MB Quarts and get a diff. component set (Alpine Type X?)

or

b) get an EQ installed (haven't seen one since High School - do people have them anymore?)

thanks for your help
Walter

FoxPro5
01-03-2006, 03:38 PM
thanks - follow up question - my issue is that my Panansonic HU does not have a real EQ function (it has people snowboarding though LOL) and these MB Quarts make my music sound like the "V" shaped EQ curve that I like to listen to music with is upside down (way too much mid/vocals!!!). It gives me an instant headache.

Is that something the attentuation will fix a little or am I going to have to either:

a) scrap the MB Quarts and get a diff. component set (Alpine Type X?)

or

b) get an EQ installed (haven't seen one since High School - do people have them anymore?)

thanks for your help
Walter

An eq would help, but MBQ are solid speakers...even the Reference line. It sounds like the install. Put some duct tape on the tweeters and move them around until they don't sound so harsh. Typically they will sound the best off-axis (ie. not pointed straight at your **** ear drum!). If you are going to get an eq, you might as well just upgrade your head unit with one built in.