PDA

View Full Version : New home speakers built, check em out.

ibanezcollector
01-01-2006, 09:47 PM
well there done almost just have to decide on how to finish them..

heres my little review..

Source: Mid Level Kenwood Bookshelf ( Waiting on income tax for equipment)
EQ set to FLAT no boost anywhere.

Speakers per enclosure
(2) Dayton Aluminum 7" Mid/Midbass (DA175-8)
(1) Dayton 1" Silk Soft Dome (DC28F-8)

Crossover
Dayton XO2W-2K (xover point 2k)

Enclosure Design
2.6 cubic feet after speaker, bracing, and port displacement
Tuned to 29hz
(1) 3" Aeroport per enclosure
1 1/4" Spiked feet

Room:
12' x 20' Nothing in it but a table lamp, couch and speakers

Test Music (Partial I threw everything at them)
Eric Clapton - Lonely Stranger (MTV Unplugged)
Korn - Another Brick In The Wall (Greatest Hits)
Jaco Pastorious - Continuum (Jaco Pastorious)
Dave Matthews Band - The Stone (Before These Crowded Streets)
Christina Aguilera - Beautiful (Have no clue what cd LOL)
311 - Flowing (Soundsystem)

All I can say is wow, for my first attempt either I got lucky or I did something right. These speakers sound fantastic and are extremely efficient.

The imaging is incredible and the soundstage is wide and spacious extends well past the walls. The low end is incredible for two 7" mid/midbass. Kick drums are impactive, and forceful with out sounding boomy or fake.

Mids need a little tweaking in a couple spots but there very smooth never harsh or abrasive. Not fatiging(sp) at all.. Might be associated from the source unit. I have to wait to see.

Highs have a crisp and airyness to them can get a tad bright on extremely high freqs but this can maybe also be from the source.

All in all im very happy and impressed. I really was worried this being my entry to home audio but like I said before either I did my homework, or I got lucky.

Thanks
Brett

Pics
http://www.ibanezcollectorboxes.com/Speakers

JimJ
01-01-2006, 10:18 PM
Very nice...:)

imaspaceguy90
01-01-2006, 10:18 PM
ahh **** mang

ibanezcollector
01-01-2006, 10:41 PM
Lookin' real good Iban. I didn't see a small sub enclosure anywhere to compliment the towers....did you plan on building one or no??

nope no need it drops down nice and low and compliments more than overbears. I like my sub-bass and low bass afirmative but not overbearing.

This is strictly a listening room, no plans for HT so no sub will be added at this time.

I am going to be purchasing a Jolida Integrated Tube Amp with income tax so that will be nice..

Then just need a nice transport and dac

JimJ
01-01-2006, 11:23 PM
How much is your budget?

I would recommend other things instead of the Jolida, I haven't heard too many good reports of the reliability of those stock from the factory. Modified, they're better.

Transport and DAC?! bahh... hehe...:) Go vinyl if you're just using it for music ;)

PV Audio
01-01-2006, 11:28 PM
very nice, did you damp with foam (i saw the bracing) as well?

ibanezcollector
01-01-2006, 11:54 PM
How much is your budget?

I would recommend other things instead of the Jolida, I haven't heard too many good reports of the reliability of those stock from the factory. Modified, they're better.

Transport and DAC?! bahh... hehe...:) Go vinyl if you're just using it for music ;)

my budget is around 600-700 on the integrated amp.

I was looking at Jolida, Nohr, and if I have to go solid state ill go with used adcom seperates.

ibanezcollector
01-01-2006, 11:55 PM
very nice, did you damp with foam (i saw the bracing) as well?

yes its dampened with foam as well..

djman37
01-01-2006, 11:56 PM
nice boxes, what's up with all the screws though? You gonna cover them?

bri487
01-01-2006, 11:59 PM
nice, when i get my job in line, i am going to make a similar setup with two 15"s.

JimJ
01-02-2006, 12:01 AM
my budget is around 600-700 on the integrated amp.

I was looking at Jolida, Nohr, and if I have to go solid state ill go with used adcom seperates.

http://www.decware.com

The Taboo would be my first choice for an integrated in that price range, but I don't know if those speakers will wang with 6 watts per side. They probably will.

~Magick_Man~
01-02-2006, 04:18 AM
psshhh real men build their own crossovers
what kind of finish are you going to do on them?
paint,veneer, or plain mdf?

looks pretty good so far though.

~Magick_Man~

req
01-02-2006, 06:27 AM
lol for the meantime, get a different source player and scoop one of these...

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-952
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=120-1135
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=240-135

and there you have a 15wpc amp for your speakers for under $100 that will prolly blow away the one in that best buy player ... but ya gotta get a better CD player too :p:

adio
01-02-2006, 09:18 AM
thats amazing how you give them such glowing reviews and they're being powered off of a bookshelf stereo. wow!

ibanezcollector
01-02-2006, 09:25 AM
if you guys would read LMAO the bookshelf is TEMP. amp. a TEMP solution.

Finish is still undecided since I play guitar and have built a few custom basses with my friend who owns his own company. Im thinking more towards exotic wood. Just need to save up some cash. Exotic Wood = Expensive

Amplifier is still in the air the Decaware is nice but 6 watts I dont know. I know the Norh amp is 18 x 18 and the Jolida unmodded is 25 x 25.

As far as cd players I prefer a transport and seperate DAC. I know theres a used Proceed transport at the local shop for a good price. Then just got to hunt down a DAC.

You guys got to realize this is my move from car audio back to home audio. This was just a step in the direction.

ballstothewall
01-02-2006, 05:37 PM
Good lookin stuff!

adam71
01-02-2006, 10:24 PM
I like it alot. Those should sound sweet with a nice 2 channel.

ibanezcollector
01-02-2006, 10:58 PM
made a base for the spikes to sit on versus getting buried in the carpet.

3/4 MDF
Rounder over edges on both sides with roundover bit.

Can double as a cutting board in the kitchen when I make new ones out of the hardwood I decide on for finishing LMAO

http://www.ibanezcollectorboxes.com/Spikes