PDA

View Full Version : 1 watt/ 1 Meter Thing...Hows it work? Using it, what are the LOUDEST 6.5 Speakers?

Starky
12-30-2005, 04:40 PM
I never understood that 1 watt/1 Meter thing....Could someone explain it to me it Laymans Terms? Also, using that what are the Loudest 6.5 Speakers I can Buy? I have Boston Pro 6.4's I want something Louder (I have ~300+ watts to them)

PV Audio
12-30-2005, 04:54 PM
measured from one meter away, a watt is fed to the speaker. the number is the maximum SPL possible from that. obviously speakers that have a higher number are more efficient.

correct me if i'm wrong.

Starky
12-30-2005, 05:05 PM
Does anyone know the speaker(s) thats have the highest Ratio?

thadman
12-30-2005, 05:09 PM
Image Dynamics CD2 Horns 109dB 1w/1m I believe

Untouchable11
12-30-2005, 05:13 PM
Weren't the ones that Feandil was designing pretty **** high?

Starky
12-30-2005, 05:13 PM
those are horns.... I cant fit those in my car (other wise i would get them) I need speakers 6 to 7 inch

squeak9798
12-30-2005, 05:14 PM

Pro Audio mids can have a sensitivity that approaches 100db @ 1w/1m.

However, almost all of those very high sensitivity mids will have very little low frequency extension because they are going to rely mainly on the enclosure to aid them in the low frequency output (by way of ported enclosures, horn loaded, transmission lines, etc). In car audio, with our limited space....this is VERY hard to accomplish. So, it's your choice if you want very high sensitivity with poor low frequency output (i.e. pretty bad midbass output), or moderate sensitivity speakers with good low frequency output (i.e. good midbass output).

Also, sensitivity alone is not going to tell you which will ultimately have the most output. It can give a "theoretical" limit of where the speaker should be output wise with a certain amount of power applied.....but that doesn't take real world affects into account such as power/Bl compression, power handling, etc etc.

So, it's a give and take. You can't base your entire decision off of a single spec...such as sensitivity, otherwise you are going to make a poor decision. And, frankly, applying ample power to even a moderate sensitivity speaker (88db 1w/1m) will provide more than adequate output.

If you have 300w per side (even 150w per side) and the Pro's don't have enough output for you....you're either deaf, or there is an issue with the installation or tuning.

squeak9798
12-30-2005, 05:14 PM
Image Dynamics CD2 Horns 109dB 1w/1m I believe

Those aren't 6.5" speakers ;)

squeak9798
12-30-2005, 05:15 PM
Weren't the ones that Feandil was designing pretty **** high?

IIRC 93db....which isn't incredibly high, but is respectable and higher than most.

Starky
12-30-2005, 05:20 PM
Pro Audio mids can have a sensitivity that approaches 100db @ 1w/1m.

However, almost all of those very high sensitivity mids will have very little low frequency extension because they are going to rely mainly on the enclosure to aid them in the low frequency output (by way of ported enclosures, horn loaded, transmission lines, etc). In car audio, with our limited space....this is VERY hard to accomplish. So, it's your choice if you want very high sensitivity with poor low frequency output (i.e. pretty bad midbass output), or moderate sensitivity speakers with good low frequency output (i.e. good midbass output).

Also, sensitivity alone is not going to tell you which will ultimately have the most output. It can give a "theoretical" limit of where the speaker should be output wise with a certain amount of power applied.....but that doesn't take real world affects into account such as power/Bl compression, power handling, etc etc.

If you have 300w per side (even 150w per side) and the Pro's don't have enough output for you....you're either deaf, or there is an issue with the installation or tuning.
So, it's a give and take. You can't base your entire decision off of a single spec...such as sensitivity, otherwise you are going to make a poor decision. And, frankly, applying ample power to even a moderate sensitivity speaker (88db 1w/1m) will provide more than ample output.

Well im no where close to deaf...And I dont see anything that could be wrong with my installation, They're hooked up to my Amp, and they're in Kicks, What could be possibly wrong? My friends system, CDT HD 62's and an MTX amp that puts out like 150x2 sounds louder then mine (I have an SUV he has a Car, would that matter much?)

Would the cone area matter alot? since boston 6.4 are only 6 inches long? I mean my speakers are Loud, but they're not as loud as I would like. The Gain is all setup so there is no Clipping (the amp has a clip meter)

Would z6's be louder?

squeak9798
12-30-2005, 05:22 PM
Well im no where close to deaf...And I dont see anything that could be wrong with my installation, They're hooked up to my Amp, and they're in Kicks, What could be possibly wrong? My friends system, CDT HD 62's and an MTX amp that puts out like 150x2 sounds louder then mine (I have an SUV he has a Car, would that matter much?)

Would the cone area matter alot? since boston 6.4 are only 6 inches long? I mean my speakers are Loud, but they're not as loud as I would like. The Gain is all setup so there is no Clipping (the amp has a clip meter)

Would z6's be louder?

What type of kicks? Q-logic? Custom made?

Starky
12-30-2005, 05:39 PM
custom made

btw, my friend has Kicks as well, I helped him make them (fyi)

squeak9798
12-30-2005, 05:44 PM
Could be that they are not properly sized.

What's the internal volume of the kicks?

Are they strong enough?

Starky
12-30-2005, 05:46 PM
They're strong enough, not sure on the size of them, Probably .7^3 ft

Tehgregzor
12-30-2005, 05:54 PM
0.7 ? thats big! Sealed enclosures for a 8 or even 10 can be that big, (maybe a lil more) You probably need ALOT smaller kicks, IF that measurement is accurate. (i doubt it)

Starky
12-30-2005, 06:06 PM
Probably isnt correct, Kinda guessed....well they're arent really Small or really big, they would have to be atleast .3^3 ft, the size i dont think is a problem

JimJ
12-30-2005, 06:54 PM

I believe Klipsch corner horns hold the record for commercially-available speakers...115dB/W efficient, IIRC :)

But efficiency isn't the only thing that equals a loud setup. For a vehicle setup, the install is extremely important...

squeak9798
12-30-2005, 07:15 PM
Probably isnt correct, Kinda guessed....well they're arent really Small or really big, they would have to be atleast .3^3 ft, the size i dont think is a problem

To give you an idea of size.... 12" x 12" x 8" = .67cuft, I seriously doubt your kicks are even remotely close to that size.

Anyways.....most car audio speakers are designed to be infinite baffle. Putting them into a smallish, enclosed kickpanel can cause some effects that would make them seem less loud.

Starky
12-30-2005, 08:30 PM
well like I said before, my friends CDT's are in Kicks are loud as hell

squeak9798
12-30-2005, 08:33 PM
And his speakers may be reacting better to the enviornment than your Bostons :)

Not all speakers are the same ;)

Where are you highpassing them?

Starky
12-30-2005, 08:34 PM
^^^^

They're highpassed at like 120 or 150, High I know

I believe Klipsch corner horns hold the record for commercially-available speakers...115dB/W efficient, IIRC :)

But efficiency isn't the only thing that equals a loud setup. For a vehicle setup, the install is extremely important...

Horns? again?.... 6.5 Inch Speakers, people

squeak9798
12-30-2005, 08:37 PM
^^^^

They're highpassed at like 120 or 150, High I know

Why?

audiolife
12-30-2005, 10:24 PM
put a hole in the bottom of your kick (towards the floor) see if that helps any (makes it act more ib and if it doesnt help you can always plug it back up) and check your speakers phases. in kicks + to + isnt always "inphase" due to position.

Starky
12-31-2005, 02:37 AM
Why?

at the time I had set the Highpass I had a Midbass....but now my sub was stolen and my midbass took over my sub resposibilities, and im just to lazy to turn the Freq down.

AllStar1500bd
12-31-2005, 04:28 AM
I think this is as good a place as any to post this. I bought a set of Boston Z6 comps and put them in an IB installation in my door. I wasn't quite satisfied with the midbass even after I added some dampening. So I built some kicks.

These sealed kicks were estimated to be .08 cubes, so I added a small amount of poly-fil to mimic a larger enclosure size of about .15 cubes. I crossed them over at 72hz and adjusted the EQ and gains properly. I had the amp bridges to 275 wRMS x 2 @ 4ohms, accounting that the Z6's are 3ohm speakers, so they're getting a little more than that.

I have a 75% hearing loss in my left ear, so it makes adjusting by ear very difficult for me :rolleyes:. Anywho, I am semi-satisfied with my midbass and the SQ is definetly there. The midbass can be a little bit lacking on some songs, and I would definetly like my midbass to be louder.

My last set-up was 4 Infinity Reference 5x7 coaxials, and to me it seems like they were definetly louder than my current setup, but obviously missing the SQ that I currently have with my Z6's. Just wanted to let you know that I am sort of in the same boat.

GSteg
12-31-2005, 04:37 AM
Dont worry too much about rating. Thats just a rating at one frequency.

Too high of a rating doesn't always mean it's going to be better. As Squeak said, you compromise low end performance for top end. You're not going to get both in most cases.