PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Answer My ?'s!!

2 avalanche 18s
12-29-2005, 02:56 AM
I'm about to start building my box but I've ran in to a few questions with my enclosure. I have the dimensions figured out and here are two pictures of the box (box 1 is the front like when u open the back doors and box 2 is the top of the box).

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bcarlislemx4/album?.dir=5a96&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

I have 5 sheets of 4'x8' of 3/4" MDF. My double-layered design is 48"W 34"L 25"H. I didn't realize how heavy this box will actually be until the other day. The reason i was looking at double layering the box is mainly support and also to lesson the chances of theft. However, today i've been debating on making my box just a single layered one with two layers on top where the subs mount. The reason for wanting a single layered box is that it will save weight and lower the chances of my tahoe riding like it has bags and also save gas mileage. Also, with the extra wood I will add a false floor and mount it with security screws and mount the box to the floor through the inside of the box also with security screws. Can you guys estimate how much a double layered box with the dimensions given above will weigh and how much a single layered box (with a second layer on the top of the box where the subs will mount) that is 48"W 34"L and 22 3/4"H (22 3/4" because the 3/4 is the extra layer of wood) will weigh. Also tell me which is the best way to brace this box because i've ran into a few ideas such as 2"x 4"s, threaded metal rods, 45 degree angles, or thick L brackets. Oh yea, the subs that will go in this box are two Ascendant Audio Avalanche 18s powered by an orion 2500d. Since i've mentioned what i will be running can you guys also give me an idea of the output this thing will have because this is my first system and i've never heard anything like because i'm from a small town where everyone has just mainly main stream stuff and none of the "underground companies". Any help ill be appreciated.

Nukedsodapop
12-29-2005, 03:08 AM
All I know is that you're gonna be loud.

lol

-Blake

Jordantyler
12-29-2005, 05:16 AM
i agree!

_DjScrew_
12-29-2005, 05:27 AM
sounds good. and i would just double baffle it.

mikescanlon
12-29-2005, 07:55 AM
i'm double layering my box : ) for 1solox 10... but i dont think you're going to need to, i'd brace the **** out of it though, and do 45 degree corners inside.

double layered box with 2 ava 18's would wiegh over 200 pounds i'd imagine, possible 300 with an amp and all the bracing... probably over estimates, but nothing that will alter the gas mileage in that huge vehicle, probably will alter how your car sits though, try to find yourself a 300 pound man and throw him back there to see how it sits, if you like it like that.

are you a girl?
nice handwriting.

2 avalanche 18s
12-29-2005, 09:38 AM
lol nah i'm a 16 almost 17 year old guy i just typed good because my experience with other forums is that you get more response and respect if you type good better than typin ghetto and im basically new to these forums so don't know how it is really

but what is the best way to layer two peices i was just thinking of doing a lot of wood glue and one inch screws maybe like 5 to 10 inches apart in every direction

2 avalanche 18s
12-29-2005, 01:31 PM
bump

mikescanlon
12-29-2005, 06:20 PM
yes, that sounds like the right way to layer wood. a better way would be to wood glue it alot, and then clamp it togehter, this is called 'laminating the wood'

2 avalanche 18s
12-30-2005, 03:11 AM
yea that's what i was planning on doing along with adding screw

anyone else got any info that can help me?

mikescanlon
12-30-2005, 08:21 AM
predrill your holes, and buy a counter sink bit (6 bucks) to countersink all your screws, you'll get a much better product that way.

2 avalanche 18s
12-31-2005, 04:26 AM
bump

2 avalanche 18s
01-03-2006, 08:45 PM
i'm tryin to build this ASAP and just wanted more opinions on this