PDA

View Full Version : diffrence between speakers?!

tip-c
12-28-2005, 10:10 PM
Hi,
i was looking trought allkinds of diffrent speakers to buy.

im noticing that there are some speakers that retail for 600-700$
and others that are 200-300$

for example are the Z series from boston acoustic that are like 600$
really that much better than type x from alpine that are arround 250-300$

What are the major diffrences?
is it really worth investing that much money for a speaker?

help me out
Thx

takeabao
12-28-2005, 10:20 PM
Yes, it's worth it.

Why?

Because different speakers are made from different materials which have different properties and different frequency responses. Often times, in higher-end speakers, this translates into the ability to REPRODUCE MUSIC AS IT WAS RECORDED.

A lot more engineering went into the Alpine F#1/Scan-Speak Revelator series than your Joe-Schmoe Type-R's and the difference in sound and performace shows that.

Good speakers are only second to good tuning on my list of importance in car audio.

stones
12-30-2005, 12:40 AM
Hi,
i was looking trought allkinds of diffrent speakers to buy.

im noticing that there are some speakers that retail for 600-700$
and others that are 200-300$

for example are the Z series from boston acoustic that are like 600$
really that much better than type x from alpine that are arround 250-300$

What are the major differences?
is it really worth investing that much money for a speaker?

help me out
Thx

Listen to the 600 dollar speakers then listen to the 200 dollar speakers. If you think it's worth it to spend the extra 400 bucks to get the improvement then yes.
I have heard 60 dollar speakers that had better acoustic qualities then 300 dollars speakers, Only you personally can really make that call.

takeabao
12-30-2005, 12:50 AM
I have heard 60 dollar speakers that had better acoustic qualities then 300 dollars speakers

Which set and why'd you think that way?

tip-c
12-30-2005, 09:28 PM
Listen to the 600 dollar speakers then listen to the 200 dollar speakers. If you think it's worth it to spend the extra 400 bucks to get the improvement then yes.
I have heard 60 dollar speakers that had better acoustic qualities then 300 dollars speakers, Only you personally can really make that call.

the thing is that there is no where to listen to 600$ speakers!
i was hopping you guys can help me out to make the right decision!

the first reply was very helpfull, maybe a few more like that would really help me set my mind

Eugenics
12-30-2005, 09:30 PM
Which set and why'd you think that way?

someone might have just gotten caught with their foot in their mouth

im wondering right now

azbass
12-30-2005, 09:32 PM
you get what you pay for...

tip-c
12-30-2005, 09:58 PM
you get what you pay for...

hehe...easy to say, but in your personal opinion is it really worth it?
is the diffrence in sound really that much better?

takeabao
12-30-2005, 10:00 PM
someone might have just gotten caught with their foot in their mouth

That tends to happen a lot on this forum. :rolleyes:

Eugenics
12-30-2005, 10:00 PM
That tends to happen a lot on this forum. :rolleyes:

more often than not, yes it does

Savstyle
12-30-2005, 10:05 PM
hehe...easy to say, but in your personal opinion is it really worth it?
is the diffrence in sound really that much better?
most definetly, but you do really need to hear before you buy them. Makes the purchase a whole lot easier. Some people hear a huge difference bettwen different comp set, and some dont. A frined of mine thinks his infinty comp set sound just as good as ny rainbows. His set needs eqing bad twet in really harsh, but he doenst hear a hue difference. So find a place and listen to em

squeak9798
12-30-2005, 10:09 PM
Price determines nothing. A $600 set won't necessarily perform better than a $300 set. More expensive doesn't inherently mean "better".

However, the Boston Z6 are pretty friggin' sweet speakers :D I'd take them over most other choices.

audiolife
12-30-2005, 10:14 PM
lol 1 thing everyone over looks is how the speaker/speakers are used and or installed. instantly everyone thinks "nothing is as good as..(place speaker name here)" when in fact something else over looked can be as good or flat better.

takeabao
12-30-2005, 10:24 PM
Price determines nothing. A $600 set won't necessarily perform better than a $300 set. More expensive doesn't inherently mean "better".

No doubt.

I'd hate to tell ya guys how much I spent on my current set, but it was no where near $600. Hell, not even close to $300.

I'm living proof that more money doesn't always by the best sounding stuff.

Imaging and stage dynamics are what truly make the good, sound AMAZING. :)

Eugenics
12-30-2005, 10:26 PM
yeah, but how much did you spend on your amps?

takeabao
12-30-2005, 10:30 PM
yeah, but how much did you spend on your amps?

Less than a third of their combined retail price. ;)

Eugenics
12-30-2005, 10:33 PM
know the owner of mobilesq or something?

squeak9798
12-30-2005, 10:35 PM
know the owner of mobilesq or something?

I believe he said in another thread he lived down the street from Peter Lufrano, the previous US Distributor for Brax/Helix

Eugenics
12-30-2005, 10:39 PM
I believe he said in another thread he lived down the street from Peter Lufrano, the previous US Distributor for Brax/Helix

ohhhhh, that makes sense then

lucky guy

stones
12-30-2005, 10:43 PM
takeabao
"Yes, it's worth it."

Eugenics
"someone might have just gotten caught with their foot in their mouth
im wondering right now"

squeak9798
"Price determines nothing. A $600 set won't necessarily perform better than a $300 set. More expensive doesn't inherently mean "better"."

takeabao
"No doubt.
I'd hate to tell ya guys how much I spent on my current set, but it was no where near $600. Hell, not even close to $300.
I'm living proof that more money doesn't always by the best sounding stuff.
Imaging and stage dynamics are what truly make the good, sound AMAZING"

My foots not in my mouth, I was just waiting for you guys to prove my point.

takeabao
12-30-2005, 10:47 PM

Yep.

He was liquidating his stock (probably still is) of Brax/Helix and the opportunity presented itself to get my hands on terrific equipment at a dealer price. :p:

takeabao
12-30-2005, 10:48 PM
My foots not in my mouth, I was just waiting for you guys to prove my point.
You said a $60 set sounded better than a $300 set.

I simply wanted to know which 2 sets you were comparing. ;)

I have heard 60 dollar speakers that had better acoustic qualities then 300 dollars speakers

stones
12-30-2005, 10:55 PM
You said a $60 set sounded better than a $300 set.

I simply wanted to know which 2 sets you were comparing. ;)

So you can tell me I'm wrong and or it was all install related and then we can get into a E-fight.
Nice try, but I'm not going to argue with a fool.
[/END]

P.S.- owned..

takeabao
12-30-2005, 11:03 PM
No need to call me a "fool" or say I'm "owned". That's a bit childish and premature don't you think?

Who ever said I was going to argue? I simply wanted to know.

Shoot, I paid about $90 for both my mid/bass and tweets and I'm confident they'll dominate quite a few $300 sets.

I asked because you might've been onto something and you peaked my interest. C'mon share the wealth of experience.

flakko
12-31-2005, 01:30 AM
No need to call me a "fool" or say I'm "owned". That's a bit childish and premature don't you think?

Who ever said I was going to argue? I simply wanted to know.

Shoot, I paid about $90 for both my mid/bass and tweets and I'm confident they'll dominate quite a few $300 sets.

I asked because you might've been onto something and you peaked my interest. C'mon share the wealth of experience.

what is the retail on your set tho? it also depends on how much you can get them for.

takeabao
12-31-2005, 02:10 AM
what is the retail on your set tho? it also depends on how much you can get them for.

They're comparable to today's F#1 Status set -- albeit they're not as good as the Scan-Speak Revelators that Alpine now uses.

Retail on the set that I have was about $800 or so back in the day... VERY rare now -- if not IMPOSSIBLE to find.