PDA

View Full Version : straight edge help

saywhat?
12-24-2005, 04:51 PM
okay look, i measure everything perfectly and cut and it comes out like 1/8 inch short or long or something. its really pissing me off as i want to have perfect cuts. What do you guys use? (Moe and all them that build for people) I don't want to build for anyone until I build a few for myself that are perfect.

MikeyB
12-24-2005, 05:15 PM
Do you know if you are cutting it short with the blade edge? I mean cut down the outside edge of the line. It sounds to me like you are cutting right on the line, the blade is probably cutting away extra material. I hope you know what I'm tryin to say lol :D

saywhat?
12-24-2005, 05:17 PM
no, thats not it, i take that into account. its like when i start cutting the straight edge moves or some ****. its gettind old really quick as i pretty much wasted this sheet already. I clamp it down tight as hell but i guess im going to have to get better clamps. As I said....this is getting old QUICK.

MikeyB
12-24-2005, 05:19 PM
I just measure my line, then I measure in 5.0625 which is the distance from the blade of my circular saw to the edge of its base. Then I clamp down a metal straight edge and just keep it pushed against it as I cut. Perfect cut every single time :thumbupw:

MikeyB
12-24-2005, 05:20 PM
Oh I see what you are saying now, if the straight edge is sliding then your right, its probably your clamps.

saywhat?
12-24-2005, 05:30 PM
**** 5 inches? how big is your saw haha. but yah......guess i gotta get more clamps....****IT

jrouter76
12-24-2005, 05:40 PM
**** 5 inches? how big is your saw haha. but yah......guess i gotta get more clamps....****ITwhat type of saw are you using,if it is a circular saw get you a framing saw it has the wide foot plate that makes cutting easy becuase of the wide foot plate it`s more stable when cutting and it will slide right up against the edge

saywhat?
12-24-2005, 05:47 PM
thats what mine is, but blade side to end is 1.25 , now motor side doesnt work, so thats why its wierd for him to use that side i guess, ohwell

its off to cut free hand as that works best

Gnfanatic
12-24-2005, 06:49 PM
you will never get a perfect cut with any type of handsaw. If you want a perfect cut buy a small table saw. they will be perfect everytime and easy to cut. They start at $200. Ryobi makes good ones for that pirce (bt3100 model). PLus no dust!

Ralph

Buckshot
12-24-2005, 07:24 PM
Well, honestly, check out your blade... I got real real pissed last time I used the same method, and all my cuts had a 'wobble' to them.

Turns out the blade was bent a little, and that'll do it everytime..

For the "I can't use the motor side by the straight edge".... I'm ASSUMING your using "C" clamps? If so flip the clamp over so the handle hangs underneath, AND raise your saw cutting depth to just over .75". By flipping the clamps and raising the saw a little bit you should be able to clear the top of the clamps so you can correctly cut your sheets. (Correctly as in having the majority of the tools weight on the piece that is not being 'cut-off' so it's more stable.)

Mark_ab
12-24-2005, 07:45 PM
Use the right equipment instead of whatever is convenient and the quality of your work will go up. The right tool for the right job. Find access to a good table saw with extensions built on or buy/make one.

saywhat?
12-24-2005, 08:08 PM
saying that a circular saw and straight edge is not the right tools, is so far false its not funny. I have a table saw which I will NEEVVVEEERRRR use again make cuts. Maybe if i put my wood blade on it i would work better, but its NOT stable just like every other cheap table saw ive used in my time.

MikeyB
12-24-2005, 09:46 PM
I really like the method that I use to be honest. I just picked up a really nice blade from Home Depot for precise cuts without chipping, a straight edge, and a hand held circular saw. It takes a little longer with having to clamp down a straight edge but it gets the job done, and with working with very large sheets its really easy.

MikeyB
12-24-2005, 09:48 PM
you will never get a perfect cut with any type of handsaw. If you want a perfect cut buy a small table saw. they will be perfect everytime and easy to cut. They start at $200. Ryobi makes good ones for that pirce (bt3100 model). PLus no dust!

Ralph

I'l bet ya that my cuts with my handsaw are as good if not better than with your table saw. :naughty:

saywhat?
12-24-2005, 10:36 PM
mikey, do you have AIM? id love to talk to u real quick.

saywhat?
12-24-2005, 10:36 PM
mikey, do you have AIM? id love to talk to u real quick.

MikeyB
12-24-2005, 10:51 PM
Yeah, MikeyB3811. I gotta install it real quick though. Ill be on in a bit.

MikeyB
12-24-2005, 11:02 PM
Just kidding, its Barney3811