PDA

View Full Version : MB Quart Premiums

squeak12
12-22-2005, 11:43 PM
What kind of power should I put on these. I have plenty on tap but can set the gains pretty conservatively. Also I have enough power to run these active if someone can help me out with some setting up tips. I have 100 watts per channel for active or 400 per channel for passive. Any tips or ideas on how to run these? Also if it matters Im building kicks for them. Any idea on how large they should be?

azbass
12-22-2005, 11:43 PM
run them on their rms

squeak12
12-22-2005, 11:44 PM
So running them passive at around 130 watts will be the best setup in theory that I can run?

cam2Xrunner
12-23-2005, 12:15 AM
Do you have the processing to go active?

squeak12
12-23-2005, 12:39 AM
Right now, all I have in terms of processing is a KDCX-679 HU(Kenwood eXcelon) and the Orion 8004 amp. If it doesnt cost too much, I can invest some more.

cam2Xrunner
12-23-2005, 12:46 AM
Does the Orion have bandpass crossovers?

I'm not too familiar with Kenwood headunit,s but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have 3 way crossovers. You might be able to do it with a combination of crossover points from the headunit and amp, but usually you won't have good results using the amps onboard crossover.

As far as installing tips, definitely mount the tweeter off axis. A pillar is the best place for them, firing across the dash towards the other one. Mount them 2-4 inches above the highest spot on the dash.

Use a dash mat(for any install really), it will cut down on reflections.

If you're going to be using the passive crossover(which I suggest unless you get a headunit with a 3 way crossover, or an electronic 3 way crossover) then you'll probably need to attentuate the tweeter a little bit. I believe those crossovers have attentuation control.

Bridge the amp and keep the gains down and adjust very slightly till you hear distortion.

squeak12
12-23-2005, 12:53 AM
Yea, the crossover it comes with has 0, -1.5, -3, -4.5, -6 settings for the tweeter. My HU has high pass crossovers only.

cam2Xrunner
12-23-2005, 01:53 AM
I'd just stick with passive for now, bridge the amp, and start the gains at 0.

Install it like explained above and you should be pretty happy. That component set has the same tweeter from the QSD lineup. People will say they are harsh, and it can be, but if you install them correctly they're awesome.

Most importantly make sure those tweeters are off axis.

squeak12
12-23-2005, 02:02 AM
So mids in the kicks and tweets in the sails?

cam2Xrunner
12-23-2005, 03:07 AM
IF you can do kicks, try it out and compare to the door. But for the tweeter's they will most likely work better in the A Pillars themselves. But try out a few different spots. Trial and error.

squeak12
12-23-2005, 03:10 AM
Ok, Ill be getting the amp for Christmas, I will work on some kicks maybe saturday and get some testing in on monday. Gotta wire the amp up and all that sunday.

Mike75
12-23-2005, 05:36 AM
So the MB Quart Premium's top RMS level is 130 watts? I have been looking, but find mixed information...

cam2Xrunner
12-23-2005, 05:57 AM
I've read that Scott Buwalda has ran over 200 watts rms into the QTD tweeters.

I'm sure they will handle more than what they are rated for. It's all in the gains.

strong*I*bumpin
12-23-2005, 12:34 PM
I've read that Scott Buwalda has ran over 200 watts rms into the QTD tweeters.

I'm sure they will handle more than what they are rated for. It's all in the gains.
was ur dog angry at u b/c u bought a Arc sub?

kappa546
12-23-2005, 04:12 PM
are you blind? hes saying "YEEEAAAAH!!!"

kappa546
12-23-2005, 04:20 PM
and yea cams right... have those tweets off axis. try them down low and up top. build the kicks as physically big as possibleand let them breathe thru the back. you still might have a hump in frquency response somewhere bw150-350hz but that'll be relative to your car. another thing, make sure you wire your mids in phase (something i fear alot of people dont do). dont look at the pretty little (+ -)symbols on the amp as that isnt always right. hook them up, listen... if your image tends to fall towards your doors, flip the polarity of ONE speaker and see if it lifts. you should also notice better bass response.

cam2Xrunner
12-23-2005, 05:13 PM
was ur dog angry at u b/c u bought a Arc sub?

He's saying FVCK YEAH!!!:cool:

FoxPro5
12-23-2005, 05:35 PM
Squeak, I had 250 watts per side on them and they loved it. You have to be intellegent with the gains and I found that I could run them down to 80 hz easily. They are rated at 110, but they are a well made speaker...dynamic overhead is a good thing:naughty:

As far as the tweets, I had them mounted coaxial style with them pointed up to the dash w/ them attunated at -6db. Since you're going with kicks, I would get them as far away from you as possible and start with them firing at each other and adjust from each other.

Buy the way we shold all be roomates becuase we keep buying and selling the same stuff to each other....gotta love the car audio community [group hug?]:D

squeak12
12-24-2005, 02:02 AM
So mount the tweets in the sails pointed toward each other and face them where when testing the kick locations? How do I know which terminal on the mid is pos and neg, or did I miss the symbols?

cam2Xrunner
12-24-2005, 02:29 AM
Try them in a few different places. The A pillar (Right near the windshield) might be better than the sail panels(they're two different spots), but maybe the Sail panels will work better.

I would just make sure you try a few different places before you finally decide to hack stuff up.

Try mounting the mids where they would be in the kickpods without the kicks actually being there, just stuff a bunch of polyfill behind it to try it out compared to mounted in a well deadened door.

FoxPro5
12-24-2005, 05:44 AM
So mount the tweets in the sails pointed toward each other and face them where when testing the kick locations? How do I know which terminal on the mid is pos and neg, or did I miss the symbols?

Pretty much what Cam said, you can start wherever and then move to your liking.

To determine polarity, get yourself some speaker wire and a AA or AAA battery and complete a circut from on terminal to the other. If the cone moves in, then you have them reversed....if the cone moves out, then you have correctly identified which one is + and which one is - . Get it??

squeak12
12-25-2005, 10:37 PM
Ive got them where I want em. I like the tweeters placed up near top of the a pillar pointing past my outer ear. I can get a good feel for the mids but so far I like em.

squeak12
12-27-2005, 06:16 PM
Kick panel work is in the enclosure section.