PDA

View Full Version : good preamp?

brandontw
12-21-2005, 11:13 PM
Hey guys, i scored and got a nice parasound 2 channel amp for my home theater setup but i want a little bit better reciever to match it up with... but the thing is..i cant find something without an internal amp in it... mabye im calling it the wrong thing,would it be a preamp?. i just need something to pipe the cd player and inputs into and something with a tuner and such..like a reciever..without an amp...what should i look for?

It doesnt need to be surround sound or anything, because im running my two line array speakers and a sub, and thats it- but I would like a sub output. If my budget allowed, i would just get the parasound one to match the amp...but my budget doesnt allow it...(it costs no less than 800$)

Any suggestions?

JimJ
12-22-2005, 12:09 AM
You need an FM receiver and a seperate preamp.

For the preamp, what kind of a budget are you talking about here? The Decware Zen SE84CSP is a hell of a deal @ $650, but not sure if you could afford that...if not, there are SS alternatives made by Creek Audio and others that will do fine. http://www.audiogon.com is a good place to look.

As for the broadcast receiver, I may be able to help you out on that :) I have a Kenwood KT-5500 AM/FM broadcast receiver in excellent working and cosmetic condition that you may be interested in...contact me if it sounds like something you'd want.

brandontw
12-22-2005, 12:51 AM
Yeah – 650$ is a bit much, I know that is what I should spend to match the quality of my amp, but I just cant afford it... honestly I was thinking like 200 bucks-maybe something used, I could live without the tuner for a while (who listens to radio anyway when you have 6000 songs at hand?)

I think I might get a Harmon Kardon HK-3470 receiver - A friend of mine had one once, and it was a nice unit. And it has a pretty decent amp in it also if I remember right, so I guess if I ever needed it wouldn’t **** to bad. But I could just use the preamp functions off of it for now. I found a good deal on one in the local classifieds:yumyum:. And its only 2 channel with a sub and preamp outputs, I like that, I feel like I would be paying for more stuff I would use and less stuff I wouldn’t (surround sound)

thylantyr
12-22-2005, 12:10 PM
Get a used AV reciever {or new} that has preouts {RCA outs}. You don't need
anything too fancy.

djman37
12-22-2005, 12:17 PM
Hey guys, i scored and got a nice parasound 2 channel amp for my home theater setup but i want a little bit better reciever to match it up with... but the thing is..i cant find something without an internal amp in it... mabye im calling it the wrong thing,would it be a preamp?. i just need something to pipe the cd player and inputs into and something with a tuner and such..like a reciever..without an amp...what should i look for?

It doesnt need to be surround sound or anything, because im running my two line array speakers and a sub, and thats it- but I would like a sub output. If my budget allowed, i would just get the parasound one to match the amp...but my budget doesnt allow it...(it costs no less than 800$)

Any suggestions?

I have an older Kenwood C2a. It is a stereo preamp. It is the match to my M2a 2-ch amp. I'm not using it. If you can't find specs, I'll try and look some up.