PDA

View Full Version : damaging speakers

springy101
12-21-2005, 11:28 AM
can you damage your mids/tweets by not crossing them at all and haveing them play the whole spectrum or will it just not sound good? and what is the difference between a shielded/non shielded tweeter? i was thinking of puttin together a comp set of dayton 6.5" shielded woofers/dayton 1" euro tweeter but dont have enough money to get a crossover for a while.

slim j
12-21-2005, 11:29 AM
I think it depends. I don't think the vifa mg needs to be cross but I don't know of any tweet that can play full range.

ramos
12-21-2005, 11:33 AM
I don't think it would be good to run tweets full range. Not to knowledgable on the newer tweets. But older tweets will fry trying to reproduce low frequencies :)

squeak9798
12-21-2005, 11:39 AM
can you damage your mids/tweets by not crossing them at all and haveing them play the whole spectrum or will it just not sound good?

Depends.

Running a tweeter full range will damage it relatively quickly if played at any kind of reasonable volume.

Mids don't necessarily need to be lowpassed, but the resulting sound may not be too pleasant. And the inductance of the speaker will create a natural high-frequency roll-off of the frequency response.

Mids don't necessarily need to be highpassed, but their mechanical power handling will be diminished and trying to play them at a loud volume may result in damage.

and what is the difference between a shielded/non shielded tweeter?

Shielded tweeters have a "bucking magnet" (aka "shield"), which basically counteracts any stray magnet field emitted from the speaker's magnet, allowing it to be placed close to monitors, TV's, etc.

If you place an unshielded speaker close to a TV or computer monitor, the speaker's magnetic field will screw up the picture. Adding a "shield" (basically a magnet out of polarity with the speaker's magnet) allows this to not be as much of a problem, since the two magnetic fields effectivley cancel each other out.

JimJ
12-21-2005, 11:43 AM
If you don't have enough money for a crossover...go active ;)

Actually, unless you already have 4 channels of amplification to use, it would probably be more expensive. Rolling your own Xovers doesn't cost too much in the way of parts, it's the design that takes most of the work.

springy101
12-21-2005, 11:45 AM
well i dont have enough money for a decent head unit either :uhoh: so am i kinda screwed till i get money or what? and jack frost the amp im gonna be using will probably be the orion 7005, and for the subs 2 kicker 05c124's. and i was just lookin around at parts express and should i get an electronic crossover or an inline crossover?

springy101
12-21-2005, 12:02 PM
and also building my own x-over sounds interesting, but how much time/money would it take and is it like if i mess up soldering one time the whole thing is screwed? cuz i dont trust myself at all if its like that.

JimJ
12-21-2005, 12:04 PM
If you mess up soldering a joint, you simply clean it off and try again :) The construction of it is easy; pay someone to do the design for you as that's a challenge to get right.

squeak9798
12-21-2005, 12:05 PM
Sounds like you are just better off saving a little more money and buying something that's pre-assembled.

springy101
12-21-2005, 12:08 PM
ok so ill buy pre assembled, where are some good places to buy em i just looked at parts express and i dont think they have any good for me, ill check again though.

springy101
12-21-2005, 12:12 PM
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=266-160

could i use this crossover for my mids

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=266-220

and this bass stopper to just prevent anything from 2.8khz< from reaching my tweets?

springy101
12-21-2005, 12:14 PM
oh wow, i was just readin the specs over again for the orion 7005 amp and it says it has fully active crossovers, does this mean i can just ditch the external crossovers and are x-overs on all 5 channels on the amp?

squeak9798
12-21-2005, 12:14 PM
No....I meant an entire pre-assembled component set.

squeak9798
12-21-2005, 12:15 PM
oh wow, i was just readin the specs over again for the orion 7005 amp and it says it has fully active crossovers, does this mean i can just ditch the external crossovers and are x-overs on all 5 channels on the amp?

Depends.

An "active" crossover is just a crossover that comes prior to amplification. Only way you could use it is if it allows for the crossover points that you need.

springy101
12-21-2005, 12:19 PM
ok so order the amp first and if it doesnt have what i need then ill order the x-overs, and did you click the links? im a nub at crossovers and need to know if those will work

springy101
12-21-2005, 12:20 PM
No....I meant an entire pre-assembled component set.

well actually i think ill be savin money cuz a pair of the mids/tweets is 80 + shipping and then whatever the x-overs cost.

springy101
12-21-2005, 12:31 PM
alright i was just one orion's website and found out that the 4 speaker channels have a low pass/high pass each from 20 to 3000hz, so does this mean i dont need an external one cuz i want my mids to be from ~120hz to ~2.5khz and my tweets to from ~2.5khz up. and would 16 gauge speaker wire be alright for my subs/speakers or should i go lower?

springy101
12-22-2005, 05:06 AM
would this work good?

squeak9798
12-22-2005, 08:38 AM
well actually i think ill be savin money cuz a pair of the mids/tweets is 80 + shipping and then whatever the x-overs cost.

But you'll get better sound out of a pre-built comp set than trying to cobble one together out of preassembled passive xovers and such like you were wanting to do.

alright i was just one orion's website and found out that the 4 speaker channels have a low pass/high pass each from 20 to 3000hz, so does this mean i dont need an external one cuz i want my mids to be from ~120hz to ~2.5khz and my tweets to from ~2.5khz up. and would 16 gauge speaker wire be alright for my subs/speakers or should i go lower?

You could highpass the tweeters fine with the xover then.....but you wouldn't be able to bandpass the mids.

And 16ga should be fine for your speakers. I'd probably do 12-14ga for your sub, depending on how much power you are running.

springy101
12-22-2005, 11:48 PM
why wouldnt the mids work, couldnt i set a high pass and a low pass because they will each have their own channel with a hp/lp filter

springy101
12-23-2005, 08:20 AM
bump

squeak9798
12-23-2005, 09:00 AM
But you can't bandpass the mids with the amp's crossovers.

springy101
12-23-2005, 09:24 AM
what is bandpassing? and would still sound ok if i didnt do anything with the mids just the tweeters and subs?

squeak9798
12-23-2005, 09:25 AM
Highpassing and lowpassing the same speaker. This is what needs to be done on mids.

springy101
12-23-2005, 09:31 AM
well then why wont i be able to do that, each channel has its own high pass and low pass on it. sorry if im frustrating you i just dont get why it wont work.

squeak9798
12-23-2005, 09:57 AM
well then why wont i be able to do that, each channel has its own high pass and low pass on it. sorry if im frustrating you i just dont get why it wont work.

Yes, each channel has it's own highpass and lowpass. But you can not highpass AND lowpass the same channel at the same time, as would be needed for a mid.

You can do one or the other, highpass or lowpass, but you can't do both at the same time on the same channel. For a mid, you need to be able to highpass AND lowpass the same channel at the same time.

springy101
12-23-2005, 07:57 PM
ok so if i got one of these for each mid

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=266-170

would i be able to use the amp low pass and the external hi pass?

or, could i bridge both mids on to one channel, then have the lpf set on one of the two, then the hpf on the other?

DiamondFanatic
12-23-2005, 08:15 PM

or, could i bridge both mids on to one channel, then have the lpf set on one of the two, then the hpf on the other?
WHAT??? have you wired an amp before? You do not want to bridge a channel to run both of your mids anyway, as then you will lose stereo sound...
I would rather have my LPF for my mids at around 80hz, not 100. But yes, if all you are trying to do is protect your speakers then that crossover will work.
I agree with Squeak, you should just go buy a set of pre asembled components until you know more of what you are doing.

squeak9798
12-23-2005, 09:29 PM

Seriously......not to sound like a ***** head, but just buy a prebuilt component set. With you being obviously new to this, it will end up sounding better than trying to cobble together a DIY set and allow you to get your feet wet in the whole art of properly installing and tuning a stereo.

Hell, I have a set of Next components I'd sell you for $50+shipping.

springy101
12-24-2005, 12:31 AM
Next? do you have any pics/specs. never heard of next before, as long as it sounds good is all that matters though. and ya it would be best just to get some prebuilt ones, seeing as i have very little cash active must wait.