PDA

View Full Version : Trying a simple, low budget bookshelf DIY

jgarcia9102
12-14-2005, 10:49 PM
i have some nice speakers in my room, so i dont need anything amazing, but im thinking about replacing these crappy ones on my PC here with something halfway decent.

i have a couple different ideas, and keep in mind, these dont have to be very loud, its just for while im on the computer.

i like the sound of a full range speaker, but i dont know anything about them. im sure their are some out there that are nice, but would i be better off with say a 4" woofer and a tweet?

i was looking at parts express, basically not knowing what im doing, just looking, and i found dayton 3/4" neo tweets cheap, but im looking at the woofers, and the lowest they go is a 5", im really trying to save space, so i was looking for 4" if possible. now i know they exist, because i have a set of klipch bookshelfs with a great 4" woofer.

also, i am looking for an amp for these, but ive never shoped home amps before. i will only need like 30 watts im assuming. and do plate amps have built in crossovers? or what am i looking for? a 30 W single channel amp for each speaker if they exist, or a 2 channel that i could mount on the back of one and run a wire to the other. IDK, im basically just thinking out loud here.

i could always run my PC through my reciever if i had to, but im trying to get something compact for my desk, and a reciever isnt gonna cut it.

anyone have some ideas, or at least some thing to push me in the right direction?

saywhat?
12-14-2005, 10:52 PM
are computer speakers amped externally? why couldnt u get some efficient full range speakers to run off the computer alone? maybe? i dunno though, just think out loud as u are.

thadman
12-14-2005, 10:54 PM
M-Audio Revolution 5.1 sound card is $60 shipped off zipzoomfly amazing sound card for music, movies everything

Im not sure on the amp

I'd look into a single 6.5" fullrange speaker with really high efficiency for each satellite
(fostex, audio nirvana)

jgarcia9102
12-14-2005, 10:56 PM
i was thinking a small fullrange might work, but i figured that the PC power was far to low to push anything decent.

i actually saw those 2" and 1" drivers in the headphones and thought i could use them, but then i figured if i was gonna DIY some speakers to at least get somehting that wouldnt sound like a 30$ boom box.

thadman
12-14-2005, 10:57 PM
Your computer does not have an on-board amplifier

If you're looking for something small and cheap Id recommend Aurasound 2" Whispers

jgarcia9102
12-14-2005, 11:01 PM
i know those 2" speakers had good bass in the headphones, but how would they sound from 2 feet away from my ears, rather than right on them? thats what i was thinking.

if thats gonna sound better than the usual crappy computer speakers i may give it a try. i suppose i could always make a mini sub box if the bass was really bad.

Beat_Dominator
12-14-2005, 11:17 PM
If you want to save space but have a wide dynamic range, try building something in a 3"-4" MTM or TMM design and build a nice small dual 6.5" or dual 8" sub box, and power it all with the 25w x2 +50w x1 (I think?) plate amp that PE sells.

jgarcia9102
12-14-2005, 11:27 PM
im liking the idea of those aura sound 2" whispers.

i may get 2-4 of those, not sure if 2 per channel is nessesary or not, but i think i start out with 2 pair, because even if i decide to go with only one on each side, im sure i can find use for the other pair.

then ill get a 6" sub, make a small ported box for it.

do you have a link to the amp? i could only find sub amps on PE. this seems like a nice cheap setup though.

ill have a 1/8 to RCA going to a plate amp on the mini-sub box, and run those up to the speakers.

Edit: and the amp will need to be 4 ohm stable too, incase i run the 2 speakers per channel.

Beat_Dominator
12-15-2005, 12:29 AM
Hmm, can't findit on PE... it was like this one...

http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=3441228.6492&pid=1621

jgarcia9102
12-15-2005, 12:08 PM
**** thats expensive for something that small.

all of the small amps on PE are under $50

Beat_Dominator
12-15-2005, 12:22 PM
Yeah, it was pretty cheap on PE..... maybe call em up? Hope they didn't stop carrying it....

jgarcia9102
12-15-2005, 03:07 PM
on a usual Subwoofer amp, what kind of watts do the satelite speakers usually get?

the amp you keep referring too says 25 for each channel, but what about a regular plate amp designed for a subwoofer, but has speaker outputs? since im using the Aura 2" drivers, im sure i dont need much power at all.

Beat_Dominator
12-15-2005, 04:34 PM
My Klipsche system is 60 per Satellite.

PV Audio
12-15-2005, 06:23 PM
you aren't giving any satellite 60 watts ;)

i'd recomment two bookshelf speakers with the TB 871s

jgarcia9102
12-15-2005, 07:09 PM
well i dont mean from a reciever. i mean, all of the plate sub amps ive seen have speaker imputs and outputs on the back. how much are these powered?

and whats so wrong with 60 watts a satelite from a reciever? my buddy just upgraded his system to a new yamaha reciever and all paradigm speakers, and he is giving each channel 110W. the satelites may be rated at 100W but i cant remember....

but thats besides the point. Question is, if my sound card isnt amped at all, how am i getting sound from my non active speakers? its loud too, loud enough. dosent sound good, but thats why im replacing them.

If i were to attempt to run the 2" whispers off of PC power w/e amp, would they be loud enough? im assuming no, but i dont know how many watts sound cards put out or how efficient the drivers are.

PV Audio
12-15-2005, 07:28 PM
well i dont mean from a reciever. i mean, all of the plate sub amps ive seen have speaker imputs and outputs on the back. how much are these powered?

and whats so wrong with 60 watts a satelite from a reciever? my buddy just upgraded his system to a new yamaha reciever and all paradigm speakers, and he is giving each channel 110W. the satelites may be rated at 100W but i cant remember....

but thats besides the point. Question is, if my sound card isnt amped at all, how am i getting sound from my non active speakers? its loud too, loud enough. dosent sound good, but thats why im replacing them.

If i were to attempt to run the 2" whispers off of PC power w/e amp, would they be loud enough? im assuming no, but i dont know how many watts sound cards put out or how efficient the drivers are.
general rule of thumb: if there's a light on the speakers, they are active :)

they don't sell computer speakers that aren't active (in the packages i mean), because all that the signal travels through is a mini plug, and every computer whether it be from 1995 or 2005 has one, so obviously the sound cards aren't delivering gobs of power. you'll be amazed at what smart engineering can do versus large cone size :) they'll be loud enough.

-dave

Ignatowski
12-15-2005, 07:32 PM
BONHAM !!:cool:

PV Audio
12-15-2005, 07:39 PM
lol wtf is that

jgarcia9102
12-15-2005, 07:58 PM
yes, bonham is god.... lol

the speakers i have are the crappy passive ones that came with the HP monitor i have. they dont plug in to any source of power at all, just the 1/8 jack into the speaker out.

are you saying this will be enough to power the whisper drivers? or not? im a bit confused. i almost feel like ripping apart a set of active ones i have from my old computer and seing if i can get out the mini-amp. lol, its better than nothing at least.....

PV Audio
12-15-2005, 07:59 PM
i'm saying if you design them right, it will be enough :)

Ignatowski
12-15-2005, 07:59 PM
Moby **** !

jgarcia9102
12-15-2005, 08:09 PM
i guess ill give it a try then. i can always get an amp later if i need, and i plan on adding a mini-sub woofer anyways. after christmas, ill get a pair of these and let you all know what they sound like passive.

and is there a reason why the range of the 2" drivers dosent reach as low as the 1" drivers? the 1" goes down to 220hz, and the 2" is rated at 250hz? that has to be wrong...

PV Audio
12-15-2005, 08:12 PM
i guess ill give it a try then. i can always get an amp later if i need, and i plan on adding a mini-sub woofer anyways. after christmas, ill get a pair of these and let you all know what they sound like passive.

and is there a reason why the range of the 2" drivers dosent reach as low as the 1" drivers? the 1" goes down to 220hz, and the 2" is rated at 250hz? that has to be wrong...
i don't think you'll have that much output in that region with either, not enough displacement :)

PV Audio
12-15-2005, 08:13 PM
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=264-815
one per side, give 'em .5 cubes each and call it a day :)

jgarcia9102
12-15-2005, 08:17 PM
im not really looking for bass with either, but the specs confuse me. the 1" seems so much better having a range from 220-25000hz and a rms of only 5 watts, meaning it will probably do better passive.

the only speakers i have ever heard that were that small were bose jewel cube speakers, and i heard these blew those out of the water. so once i get my sub im hoping ill have something that sounds better than thie crap i have now.

by the time i get my mini-sub box built ill probably replace these and go with something that will sound better, but i really wanna play around with these, so ill get them just to try out. of course, not untill christmas is over, when ill have some money to spare.

edit:
i missed your post there, i definatly like the look of those. well, the price at least, and close to 100hz from a 3" driver. if i do that route i will have to go with the 3 channel amp, if i can find one. i think ill still buy these whispers to at least test out, then ill look into an amp for those and a mini sub.