PDA

View Full Version : 6.5" Upgrades?

Rivers
12-13-2005, 12:39 PM
Am looking to upgrade my 6.5" CDT Eurosport drivers. What would you guys recommend? Running morel supremos up front.

UndercoverPunk
12-13-2005, 12:41 PM
Improve the install, it's not like the ES drivers arn't good.

Rivers
12-13-2005, 12:51 PM
So you are suggesting I re-do the whole wiring install?

squeak9798
12-13-2005, 01:05 PM
So you are suggesting I re-do the whole wiring install?

When we say "install", we don't mean the wiring.

We mean try to improve how the speakers are mounted, solidify the panels around the mounting location, make sure front-wave and rear-waves are separated, speaker placement and aiming, etc etc.

But, what type of budget are you looking at for new drivers? What don't you like about the ES drivers?. CDT isn't anything special....I think you would be happy with upgraded drivers aswell as improved installation (if applicable)

alteraudiousa
12-13-2005, 01:06 PM
you should improve on the imaging of the install. the ES drivers are quite good and if don't think so than its morethan likely the install holding it back. If you're set on upgrading the speakers i'd suggest going 3way and getting the ES.07 speakers.

squeak9798
12-13-2005, 01:07 PM
If you're set on upgrading the speakers i'd suggest going 3way and getting the ES.07 speakers.

Meh....I'd rather spend 1/5th of the cost and get something with comparable or improved performance.

By the way.....are these your rear speakers? You say "morel supremo's up front"....as in the tweeters? Or an all Morel frontstage and the CDT's are rearfill? I'm confused........

Either way....I'd look into a product line other than CDT.

Rivers
12-13-2005, 01:38 PM
Yep, supremos' for the tweeters. Rear speakers are empty.

Just curious since I am only going to be replacing my CDT ES tweeters for the supremos in a couple of days, but what kind of SQ difference is there going to be? I find the ES tweets lacking in clarity as compared to the Focal Utopias or the Diamond D9 tweeters.

squeak9798
12-13-2005, 01:50 PM
Are you running active? Passive? What passives?

Rivers
12-13-2005, 01:55 PM
Yep, running them active.

UndercoverPunk
12-13-2005, 01:56 PM
Yep, running them active.

Wattage available and what not...

Rivers
12-13-2005, 02:06 PM
Running them with a Audison SRx4 (60w x 4 ch) Enough juice, I hope!

dakotus
12-13-2005, 03:24 PM
squeaks

why all the hate with CDT? Lot of fans here love them, including myself.

UndercoverPunk
12-13-2005, 03:26 PM
they have their place in the market, but they aren't THAT good.

dakotus
12-13-2005, 03:27 PM
good is relative. why dont YOU like them. you dont like the smooth natural sounds? lol

alteraudiousa
12-13-2005, 03:38 PM
actually what year did you get the ES? Some of the older ones i think were using a different type of tweet, not sure cause someone sent me back a pair from their ES's to try and i didn't like them either compared to the tw-24. There is one tweet out there i really like but it only can take 5RMS, its from Hi-Vi. Also have you thought about the DRT-26 or the ES-01 tweet.

squeak9798
12-13-2005, 05:07 PM
squeaks

why all the hate with CDT? Lot of fans here love them, including myself.

I know all the people here love them....when I first joined they were a major boner on this forum. Seemed they were the only speaker people recommended on this site. I'd like to think I had a little to do with squashing that blind following on here, and opening people's eyes to the vast array of other great speaker choices out there. It used to be 10 posts of CDT and one or two of "other" brands.....now it seems there are 10 posts of other brands in a thread for every one or two for CDT......which is a GOOD thing.

As UCP said....CDT isn't that great of a speaker. At each price point there are many, many other better performing sets that would be worthy of much more attention than the CDT offerings. Someone the other day made a good comparison between CDT and bose that pretty much summed it up as good as I ever could.....http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1349124&postcount=18

Plus I can't stand CDT's marketing strategy...."OMG you MUST buy all of these stupid little accessory tweeters to raise your soundstage or your stereo will sound like crap!!! " :rolleyes: And then newbs believe that the only way to make a stereo sound good is with adding 6 auxillary tweeters to the A-pillars, rather than learning how to properly setup and install a component set.

So, all in all.....I don't even know why so many people even bother with CDT speakers, other than they have built up a cult following of n00bs on various forums.

UndercoverPunk
12-13-2005, 05:12 PM
good is relative. why dont YOU like them. you dont like the smooth natural sounds? lol

I'd like to think that my Extremis mids active crossover network and Vifa 1" textile domes pwn anything I could have bought from CDT for $260.:rolleyes:

///M5
12-13-2005, 05:50 PM
I'd like to think that my Extremis mids active crossover network and Vifa 1" textile domes pwn anything I could have bought from CDT for $260.:rolleyes:
And they will

dakotus
12-13-2005, 05:57 PM
link?

3.5Max6spd
12-13-2005, 07:07 PM
Running them with a Audison SRx4 (60w x 4 ch) Enough juice, I hope!

I would be looking to go active, particularly a midbass, with more power than that....

What areas do you wish to improve upon in the freq range you'll be covering?

Rivers
12-13-2005, 08:22 PM
I would be looking to go active, particularly a midbass, with more power than that....

What areas do you wish to improve upon in the freq range you'll be covering?

I'd love to have more power but my amps (both audison) are currently placed under both my seats and I'd like to keep it that way. Are there any other amps out there which come in small sizes?

I figured it'd probably be good to feed at least 100w to my midbass drivers. 60w for tweeters should probably do fine?

jrouter76
12-13-2005, 08:46 PM
do they have the same power handling capabilities as the cdt hd`s? and you are running active right? and that is a great price for a setup you have

UndercoverPunk
12-14-2005, 09:28 AM
do they have the same power handling capabilities as the cdt hd`s? and you are running active right? and that is a great price for a setup you have

Rated 260 watts RMS, they don't need anymore power than that. Of course the install helps alot too. Yes, I'm running them active. While the drivers were cheap, the headunit and amps were a much more significant chunk of change. Thank you, I enjoy them, but there's always room for improvement. Just not anytime soon.

Dakotus... no links from me, as this stuff is EASY to find.

Cris
12-14-2005, 01:41 PM
So, all in all.....I don't even know why so many people even bother with CDT speakers, other than they have built up a cult following of n00bs on various forums.

Very true, especially in the sounddomain forums. I started over there and eventually came over here because all they ever recommended over there was anything CDT. Even people who didn't have CDT nor had ever heard CDT were recommending them. I won't mention names, but I think it has to do a lot with a certain seller who pushes his dealer status and his products a lot around both this and sound domain forums.

I've admittedly never heard anything CDT, but looking at them, they've always seemed like a cheap product overhyped. I've also seen a lot of extremely knowledgeable and experienced SQ experts been dissapointed with CDT, including a close personal friend now looking into a lotus reference active system coming from an OZ audio system.

-cris