PDA

View Full Version : extreme noob

thigpen
12-12-2005, 07:56 PM
Hey, im really new to speakers. i studied up on subs for 4-5 months and i just purchased my subs and amp so now im ready to learn about my speakers. right now, im leaning towards jl audio xr650-csi's, with infinity kappa perfects in second. now my questions are, 1. whats so bad about using stock locations, tweeter on dash and mid in the door, and 2. whats so much better about kickpods, and since i know nothing about them, where could i get someone to make them for me for my car, and how much would it cost. 3. why is it better to have the tweeters closer to the mid? (if someone could link me to a picture of some kickpods in a car that would be awesome as ive never seen them before)

g8rforester
12-12-2005, 08:14 PM
I just put the XR-650csi set in my car with a 125x2 amp, and they are awesome!

I stepped up from a set of the older green Infinity Kappas (60.2cs, about 4 years old), and it's a night and day difference. I've never heard the Kappa Perfects, but you won't be disappointed in the XRs.

I can't really answer your other questions with much authority except to say that I believe that if the mids are far away from the tweeters it can mess with imaging, and therefore SQ.

Chevyaudio
12-12-2005, 08:16 PM
The good thing about kickpannels is that your imaging in improved from the stock locations. And it is also better to have the tweeter close to the Mid woofer.

thigpen
12-12-2005, 08:24 PM
alright well i was just told it would cost 250-500 for kickpanels... thats 50 bucks more than its going to cost me for the XR's..... too me thats rediculous for just imaging... couldnt i just cut a whole on my door or something and get almost as good as a result for 250 bucks cheaper...

dru
12-12-2005, 08:26 PM
Do it yourself.

Chevyaudio
12-12-2005, 08:27 PM
Yeah fiber-glass up some your self

thigpen
12-12-2005, 08:30 PM
i heard that working with fiberglass is a b*tch, but im all for making them myselves. about how much do you think it would cost to make some decent kickpods myselves. and im still yet to actually see a set in a car, could someone link me to a picture of them in a car so i have some idea of what im doing before i get into it

dru
12-12-2005, 08:40 PM
There is a DIY thread for this off the main page.

Chevyaudio
12-12-2005, 08:42 PM
you could make your own for less than 50

thigpen
12-12-2005, 08:47 PM
if i did it myself and it was only a decent job what would the difference be in stock locations and a decent install with kickpanles (im not going to be cocky and think im going to do an amazing job on my first install)