PDA

View Full Version : Better than CDT???

azngotskills
12-09-2005, 04:50 PM
Are there any 6.5 component sets better than the CDT EF-61 or the CL-62 around the $150 price range? Im about to get the EF-61 comps(front) and CL-6X coaxials(rear fill) put into a 2000 celica. Just want to make sure that there is nothing better than this set up out there. I listen to just about everything and im looking for a detailed tweet w/o it being harsh and ample midbass. All help is very much appreciated.

azngotskills
12-09-2005, 04:52 PM
If it helps any the speakers will go in factory locations and tweet on upper door. I currently have an Eclipse 8454 HU and amp will be bought after speakers are picked.

Darth Audio
12-09-2005, 09:23 PM
Well it's always tricky to tell someone that one comp set sounds better than another, but I'll give you my .02 worth. I have the CL62's and they are the best sounding out of the box comps I've owned. Right now I think CDT has the market cornered on the bang for buck factor. So in other words I can't recommend anything better in that price range.

BTW I would consider putting the tweeter as close to the woofer as possible and not in the factory location.

squeak9798
12-09-2005, 09:38 PM
Crystal SSCS 6: http://www.infinitecaraudio.com/cgi-bin/icastore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=SSCS6

PG Xenon: http://cgi.ebay.com/PHOENIX-GOLD-X6-5-XENON-6-5-COMPONENT-SYSTEM-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ5838914490QQcategoryZ32819QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem (these sell for ~$300 on other sites)

OZ Audio Vector series from member Tplaya07 on here are around $115

Rainbow Dream Line: http://www.speedsound.com/caraudio.asp?pg=products&specific=jncnqrmng

CDT has never really impressed me for any price point.........

azngotskills
12-09-2005, 10:15 PM
I decided not to go with the full CDT component set, i just need the 6.5 woofer and the tweet. Im going to use the crossover features of my 8454. Are there any suggestions for a woofer and a tweeter (same brand) other than CDT and the other listed ones. Price range around $150. Whoud this be better or just go with a complete set for compatibility?

squeak9798
12-09-2005, 10:18 PM
Any particular reason they must be the "same brand"?

Sounds to me like you are heading down the DIY route and running active.....which can REALLY open up your options if you ditch the idea that the mid & tweet must be the same brand.

What amplifier do you have? You'll need atleast 4 channels of amplification just for the frontstage, and you'll have to ditch the rearfill.

harveyy
12-09-2005, 10:26 PM
There is so much to choose from. Some great used deals come up often (almost new). Do some reasearch and make an informed decision and you'll be happy with your purchase.

I wasn't overly impressed with the CL 62s I bought. Got rid of them and picked up better speaker for the same price. Take a little more time and you'll get an idea what's good, but you'll have to do some research.

azngotskills
12-09-2005, 11:06 PM
I wanted to stay within the same brands so that the quality of sound and performance in genral would be identical between the woofer and tweeter and partly due to asthetic reasons but we will see. I was thinking about he DIY route but was wondering if more work is needed besides the active crossovers i will have to work with. I plan on getting a 4ch amp but i will get that after i know what speakers i will be powering. Rear fill is questionable i want it but can do without if it makes the system better. Remember i only have a tight $150 budget and dont want do any modification to doors. Thanks for the recommendations.

tplaya07
12-09-2005, 11:57 PM
The CDT's are definately very nice "plug n play" comps, and do give you alot of value for the money. However, if you are considering going the DIY route, you can achieve excellent results (comparable to much higher end comp sets), for a fraction of the high end components' cost. The drawback is that for best results you will need a good EQ, whether it be via your HU's processing capabilities, or an outboard EQ. You will also likely need to devote a good amount of time to tuning the system, aiming, imaging, etc. As long as your willing to do these things, you should be very pleased with the end result.
And you do not need to use the same brands for the mids and tweets, as you will likely not even see the company badges, especially if using stock locations...in otherwords, pick the BEST equipment for your money, and don't limit yourself to one brand.
And like Squeak said, just ditch the rearfill idea for now. Use that money to invest in upgraded speakers, EQ, HU, or amp.

azngotskills
12-10-2005, 12:11 AM
I think i just got in a little over my head in this DIY component project. I dont really want to spends hours tuning my speaker set up, so i guess the DIY route is out of the question...thanks for the help tho.

Back to the intial question, are any of the sets recommened by squeak9798 better than the CDT EF-61 in price/performance in your opinion. I cant go out and listen to the speakers because dealers in my area dont carry them, they only carry focal, mb quart, alpine, the big names. More suggestions for 6.5 comps also welcome. Sorry i keep changing my mind, i just want the most for the money.

azngotskills
12-10-2005, 12:27 AM
I think i just got in a little over my head in this DIY component project. I dont really want to spends hours tuning my speaker set up, so i guess the DIY route is out of the question...thanks for the help tho.

Back to the intial question, are any of the sets recommened by squeak9798 better than the CDT EF-61 in price/performance in your opinion. I cant go out and listen to the speakers because dealers in my area dont carry them, they only carry focal, mb quart, alpine, the big names. More suggestions for 6.5 comps also welcome. Sorry i keep changing my mind, i just want the most for the money.

tplaya07
12-10-2005, 01:10 AM
I wasn't trying to turn you away from DIY, if that's something your interested in. As I said, it can be extremely beneficial for a minimal amount of money. It just requires a little bit more effort than the brand name "plug n play" components (which do also require a little bit of tuning).
CDT's are probably one of the best bang for the buck companies out there, when you consider the price to performance and power handling capabilities. However, there are other companies out there that I prefer the sound quality of, over the CDT's, but may not boast the high power handling ratings the CDT's do.
I am running the Oz Vectors in my ride right now, and have been very impressed with them. With a little tuning the midbass really comes to life, though the tweeters will probably need to be dialed down a notch, as at normal settings seem to get a little harsh at higher volumes. Once you get them tamed though (via jumper setting or through the HU), the can be a very rewarding set for the price.
The Crystal's Squeak mentioned are also very nice comps, though I really don't see them getting the attention they deserve anymore. A few years back they, along with their competition subs were some of the hottest items out there.
Also, check out Rainbow, Diamond, JBL GTO's, Polk Audio Momo's, Boston Acoustic FS60's or SL60's (if you can find them within your budget), Memphis MCSYNC's, etc.

azngotskills
12-10-2005, 01:58 AM
The more i researched the less i want to go the DIY route.

What Rainbow or Diamond components would you recommend with comparable or better midbass and highs to the CDT EF-61?

squeak9798
12-10-2005, 11:04 AM
are any of the sets recommened by squeak9798 better than the CDT EF-61 in price/performance in your opinion.

All of them :D

Naxis2k1
12-10-2005, 11:29 AM
ive owend the cl-61 and 62 and thought both were ok when i got them. but i just bought my girlfriend some pioneer rev 6.5 and i know it hard to believe but they sound a tad better than both those comps. with 90 watts going to um. now iam not saying go out and get the rev speakers just make sure you ask around and get lots of opions or even hear them first(but every one i think would agree that the rev spkrs are dang nice for the money (100 bucks). just dont make the same mistake lots of people make including myself and jump on the first thing that looks good.

azngotskills
12-10-2005, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the advice Naxis, i will look into the pioneer rev. Just curious, was it the same setup as the CDTs and have you any experience comparing it to the EF series components?

harveyy
12-10-2005, 04:58 PM
You may find it difficult to find direct comparisons. A better method, do a search for posts containing EFs or other speakers and you'll find feedback, issues for that speaker. Search this forum, sounddomain, elite etc. Listen to what people say, and get an overall view of the qualities of a particular speaker.

A word of caution when asking for one's opinion, you don't know what the person's view is based on. See if they're reputable. Some have raved about a speaker only to find out their comparing with factory. Don't buy into the hype and do your homework.

Cris
12-10-2005, 06:06 PM
I've yet to meet a very dedicated, knowledgable car-audio enthusiast who has been truly impressed with anything CDT.

I'd venture to say that quite possibly, they might be to car audio what Bose is to home theatre-- they impress mostly people who don't really know too much about car audio, but those who do (and these are sadly very few) can see right through their speakers and see there's better options out there, even for the money.

but that's just my opinion.

squeak9798
12-10-2005, 06:09 PM
I've yet to meet a very dedicated, knowledgable car-audio enthusiast who has been truly impressed with anything CDT.

I'd venture to say that quite possibly, they might be to car audio what Bose is to home theatre-- they impress mostly people who don't really know too much about car audio, but those who do (and these are sadly very few) can see right through their speakers and see there's better options out there, even for the money.

:word: :iagree:

audiolife
12-10-2005, 06:45 PM
they dont market like bose lol. i think they are pretty decent if used in stock locations in kicks though i can name a few cheaper outright speakers i would rather use including alpine

ighettoboyi
12-12-2005, 12:18 PM
i like mine... i've even heard cdt subs that were very tight and clean... in addition i think their construction is quality

Sweetride01
12-18-2005, 08:53 PM

Wow, that's a burn.
I hope they're not that bad. Besides, Bose makes car audio too.
It's funny- ever since I was small, about 10 years old (7 years ago), I'd walk into a Bose store with my dad, and he'd be like "that's awesome". I, however, was never very impressed. I mean, I thought they sounded good, but nothing phenominal, especially considering the price.
And that's when I was 10. I guess I do have top-notch tastes though. :laugh:

I have yet to install my eDi 6500s, but I hope they are a good deal better than the OK Bose speakers in my dad's TL-S.

audiolife
12-18-2005, 09:01 PM
bose makes after market?

Sweetride01
12-18-2005, 09:40 PM
No oem...
I'm just referring to the fact that Cris compared CDT to Bose... and the fact that Bose makes both home theatre and car audio speakers... so it's almost a contradictiory comparison in some ways.