PDA

View Full Version : home audio for car?

eric12421
12-08-2005, 07:14 PM
would it be unacceptable to buy house tweeters and place them in my car, im talking about the big loudspeaker ones, like the ones that go in speaker cabinets. would it be accptable to run these off car systems?

eric

Cris
12-09-2005, 01:09 AM
like, take the drivers out and install them in your car?

Home audio speakers are typically 8 ohm speakers, unlikes most car audio speakers, which are 4 ohm.

Home audio speakers are also generally not built to withstand all the heat and cold, as well as moisture that a car speaker will have to endure. They'll wear out quicker.

However, a lot of custom and DIY custom components today are using home-audio (more high-end) drivers from places like partsexpress.com and madisound.com.

I've been wanting to get into that, but it can get expensive, and complicated.

SSS 18734
12-09-2005, 01:10 AM
i think you mean horns, and loudspeaker horns arent going to work well in the car envornment... not to mention ridiculously hard to install.

stones
12-09-2005, 02:39 AM
Just get a van and throw a couple pairs of tower speakers in the back wired in parallel(to get 4ohms) to a really big amp.

Imaging will **** but it will be loud and tonally correct.

In the event of an accident you and your passengers may be killed by the tower speakers flying forward, no more dangerous then riding a motorbike though so **** on it anyway.

In the event of a breakin, the thieves Will appreciate how easy it is to remove your components and may spare you unnecessary damage in appreciation. Any insurance proceeds can be put towards a newer set of towers and an amp.

Seriously though -
A speaker is a speaker (simplified)
Keep it dry and observe the impedance rating (ohms) of the coils during installation and it will work anywhere (some will perform better then others due to quality of course).

Note- higher ohm values for tweeters can be a desirable thing, as tweeter have a higher sensitivity then mids and woofers and require a fraction of the power to achieve similar volume levels.

To give you an idea- a 12ohm tweeter can match a 4ohm midrange in output given the same amount of power from an amp, where a 4ohm tweeter matched to a 4ohm mid will appear to shriek and hurt your ears well before the the 4 ohm midrange gets loud

Real world application-
If a component set has a good mid but an overly "bright" tweeter and the equalizer is no help, you can replace the tweeter with one of a higher ohm rating to choke back the highs a little.

Also note-
You can always go higher than the amplifiers rated impedance (as high as 16ohms or more) , its going below that causes problems.

Hope this gives you a better understanding.

glennlewis
12-10-2005, 10:41 PM
I had a system once that had 2 pair of 7" woofers and big *** tweeters mounted in an old american car and wired them in parallel to a nice amp and it sounded awsome but the woofers had no grilles and in the end that was their undoing...Too many parties and too many boots in cones....If you know what I mean...But it sounded great..........