PDA

View Full Version : help on tuning and port/slot please!!

dannyt
12-07-2005, 02:55 AM
never built a box, been trying to learn by searching the forum.
i looked around the internet to try to find enclosures and they seem like so much money! so i wanted to build my own.

i have 2 questions.

1. does it matter if the box is ported or slotted? is it just personal reference?

2. is there a specific number everyone tunes their box to? or do you just pick a number? lol sorry for the newbie-ness. how do i find a good number to tune my box so it will work well with my sub?

1 12" Pioneer tsw-306c.

any help will be appreciated. i need lots of it. :p: THANKS!!

wlmrs
12-07-2005, 03:08 AM
go with slot ported imo,also what are the specs on that sub?What kind of carr will this be going in?

bimma85
12-07-2005, 03:10 AM
never built a box, been trying to learn by searching the forum.
i looked around the internet to try to find enclosures and they seem like so much money! so i wanted to build my own.

i have 2 questions.

1. does it matter if the box is ported or slotted? is it just personal reference?

2. is there a specific number everyone tunes their box to? or do you just pick a number? lol sorry for the newbie-ness. how do i find a good number to tune my box so it will work well with my sub?

1 12" Pioneer tsw-306c.

any help will be appreciated. i need lots of it. :p: THANKS!!
I'd give moelester the dimensions of your box... or someone else that does designs. Would be the easiest way. A slotted is a type of port. With just the one sub, i'd port it if there's room. Glad ya went away from the abahns in the bandpass :).

Jester1318
12-07-2005, 10:18 AM
Since youre in Houston, i would definately talk with moelester since he is too and he knows what he is doing

psych0ticnemes1
12-07-2005, 10:25 AM
i could design it for you, but you'd have ta build it

dannyt
12-07-2005, 01:36 PM
hmmmmm its 400w rms and 4ohms going into an acura legend sedan.

would moelester charge me for asking questions and getting specs?

and about the tuning. whats that? does it equal to the amp gain setting or am i totally off?

JimJ
12-07-2005, 01:38 PM
A "ported" and a "slotted" box are the same thing. Whether or not it's a round port or a rectangular one, it's still a bass reflex enclosure that works on the same principle...

And no, enclosure tuning is completely independent of your amplifier. You tune it based on your personal listening preferences, drivers at hand, and the vehicle's transfer function...

psych0ticnemes1
12-07-2005, 01:42 PM
tuning allows you to make your sub loud, sound good, or a little of both...

the port length determines the tuning... 28htz is a sound quality tuning... 38 htz is a SPL (loud) tuning

the longer the port length, the lower the tuning... the tuning changes accordingly to how big your box is and how wide the port is...

yes molester charges for box plans