PDA

View Full Version : carpeting!?

mschramek
12-07-2005, 01:20 AM
Quick Question about carpeting. Im about to carpet my sealed box. When I seat the subs into the box its ok that they lay on the carpet or do I have to cut the carpet away so it sits directly on the wood. All I was worried about is how well will it seal.

fatryan
12-07-2005, 01:23 AM
cut the carpet away, then put down some compressed weather stripping, then lay subs in ;)

req
12-07-2005, 01:31 AM
if your sub has a gromet (rubber thing where the screws are) take that off, and put the sub in the hole, get a BRAND NEW razor blade and cut the carpet round the basket (get as close as you can)

then put the gasket back on the sub and it should cover up the little carpet edge

weather stripping on the bottom edge of the sub gasket helps too, but make sure its only like 1\8" thick, dont wanna make it too thick. a SMALL DRIED bead of hotglue right on the box also works.

fatryan
12-07-2005, 01:39 AM
if your sub has a gromet (rubber thing where the screws are) take that off, and put the sub in the hole, get a BRAND NEW razor blade and cut the carpet round the basket (get as close as you can)

then put the gasket back on the sub and it should cover up the little carpet edge

weather stripping on the bottom edge of the sub gasket helps too, but make sure its only like 1\8" thick, dont wanna make it too thick. a SMALL DRIED bead of hotglue right on the box also works.
dried?

ramos
12-07-2005, 08:08 AM
dried?
Yeah you don't want to glue the sub in. You just want a gasket to help seal it. Dried hot glue is still rubbery. :)

fatryan
12-07-2005, 05:31 PM
Yeah you don't want to glue the sub in. You just want a gasket to help seal it. Dried hot glue is still rubbery. :)
but its still pretty stiff. i wouldnt think it would make a good seal. but hey if it worked for you, i guess its worth a try

96civ
12-07-2005, 05:37 PM
I hope I'm not stealing this thread, but does anyone have a site or something I can find information on how to properly carpet a box? I'm not really sure how you wrap the carpet around the sides if it has side offsets, etc.

Worlddre
12-07-2005, 09:34 PM
I hope I'm not stealing this thread, but does anyone have a site or something I can find information on how to properly carpet a box? I'm not really sure how you wrap the carpet around the sides if it has side offsets, etc.
if by side offsets you mean the sides of the box are sunken then its easy...just take a really sharp razor knife....once you have wrapped the rest of the box leave the sides blank....cut out towards you with the knife at each of the four corners of the box...now llay each corner down the way it is supposed to lay...take the knife again and cut from the corner to the middel of the box(do on each corner)..now glue all of this down and if you can get one use a pizza roller to tuck the corners in into the wood..now take the knife and cut around the the inside of the offsets...now you should have the offtet wrapped and the center blank....now take another sheet of carpet glue to the blank part take you pizza roller and tuck it into the side of the offsets and use the knife and cut around the corners as you did earlier and voila all done.....not sure how well i explained ill carpet one tomorrow and take pics for ya

SSS 18734
12-07-2005, 09:36 PM

http://forum.sounddomain.com/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=070780