PDA

View Full Version : What are some Good OFF-AXIS Component Set?

BodegaBay
12-06-2005, 10:57 PM
I've listened to CDT HD62 and their dispersion was pretty good. Any others?

My OEM tweeter location is high on the corner of the door panel and windows -- facing directly (not angled) to each other. I'd like to see which good component set that will be forgiving with this type of install.

Tempe
12-07-2005, 02:11 AM
Just because the OEM tweeter is there doesn't mean you must put your tweeter there. I personally hate the sail panel location for tweeters. It is way too far from the midwoofer and they are too close to your ears! Can you fit them near your midwoofer aimed in a cross-firing pattern?

Tempe

squeak9798
12-07-2005, 08:33 AM
Just because the OEM tweeter is there doesn't mean you must put your tweeter there. I personally hate the sail panel location for tweeters. It is way too far from the midwoofer and they are too close to your ears! Can you fit them near your midwoofer aimed in a cross-firing pattern?

Tempe

:iagree:

Sail panels = BAD tweeter location

anyways.....most any car audio component set is going to have relatively good dispersion since their "intended" location is off-axis to you in the door. Though, if you MUST stick with that tweeter mounting location (yuck), I'd look for a comp set that has a soft-dome tweeter.

MetalMaxima
12-07-2005, 08:48 AM

Door panels ftw

3.5Max6spd
12-07-2005, 09:08 AM
You have to play around with some duct tape to figure where it sounds best to you.

I dont see how a sail mounted tweeter can be any worse than a A-pillar mounted tweeter- in most cases the the sails offer a wider mounting point creating a wider sounding stage. We are talking a few inches of difference, and less succeptible to the reflection prone area of the A pillars.

I currently have door panel mounted tweeter and cant wait to move them forward a bit. Too close to the ears.
Great for stage height and *** kicking loud SQ, but affects stage depth a bit.

Then theres those that prefer a sigle point source, keeping drivers together. But this day in age with T/A and phasing one can pull everything together fine spreading the right drivers around.

squeak9798
12-07-2005, 09:20 AM
You have to play around with some duct tape to figure where it sounds best to you.

I dont see how a sail mounted tweeter can be any worse than a A-pillar mounted tweeter- in most cases the the sails offer a wider mounting point creating a wider sounding stage. We are talking a few inches of difference, and less succeptible to the reflection prone area of the A pillars.

I currently have door panel mounted tweeter and cant wait to move them forward a bit. Too close to the ears.
Great for stage height and *** kicking loud SQ, but affects stage depth a bit.

Then theres those that prefer a sigle point source, keeping drivers together. But this day in age with T/A and phasing one can pull everything together fine spreading the right drivers around.

If you are running through passives, T/A isn't going to help you any. And you can't solely phase your way out if it, IMHO.

And I'm not a fan of A-pillar tweeters either ;) 2nd worst mounting location, IMO. Atleast for the primary tweeters.......unless you are crossing them over extremely high (7khz+) in a 3-way frontstage.

Even if the initial attack is "okay" with sail-panel/a-pillar tweets, I always feel that that decay/sibilance is not only worsened/intensified due to the mounting location, but those affects also pull the stage and your ears right to the tweeters after the initial impact.

Not saying it can't be done.....but with an ***-load of tuning and running active is about the only way to even come close. And by that time, you could have just built kicks and sounded better with less processing :D

High mounted tweets 4 teh lose :laugh:

Defconx3
12-07-2005, 10:03 AM
Door pod mounting for teh win?

audiolife
12-07-2005, 10:17 AM
evey car i ever listened too with door mounting when done well staged well but the staging always seems to hit a wall somewhere which is eventually bad especially when you hears a car that doesnt hit a wall. (yes im nit picking lol)

alteraudiousa
12-07-2005, 11:01 AM
i run an active setup with tweet mounted mid door, right in the are of the door handle and its a good place. NOt good if you don't run active and use T/A but i like it since i can EQ it alot to compensate. Raises the soundstage to mid level instead of bottom of the door and is not too far away from the woofer either. CDT is a good choice though and pretty hard to beat on performance to price.

squeak9798
12-07-2005, 11:03 AM
Raises the soundstage to mid level instead of bottom of the door

Need to work on something in your install if you can't get a high soundstage with low mounted tweet.

CDT is a good choice though and pretty hard to beat on performance to price.

Meh..........I'd look at plenty of other speakers first. CDT doesn't really have any stand-out products at any price point.......

BodegaBay
12-07-2005, 11:14 AM
Then theres those that prefer a si[n]gle point source, keeping drivers together. But this day in age with T/A and phasing one can pull everything together fine spreading the right drivers around.

I've tried the single point source many times in years past and have never been able to get them right. The sail panel, to me, always seemed more natural to me, especially when using T/A. I was merely curious if there are any component sets out there that does give better wide dispersion without any processing involved.

squeak9798
12-07-2005, 11:17 AM
Dome mids.

Beat_Dominator
12-07-2005, 11:21 AM

anyways.....most any car audio component set is going to have relatively good dispersion since their "intended" location is off-axis to you in the door. Though, if you MUST stick with that tweeter mounting location (yuck), I'd look for a comp set that has a soft-dome tweeter.

My tweeters are in the sail panels of my car :)

....of course they have -2dB attenuation from the passive x-over.... about -10dB from the eq.....and another 10ms delay to acheive SOME sort of coherence :crazy:

.....but this is the price I pay to live in one of the car theft capitals of America, I needed the tweets to be in the stock location to hide from theives :(

stones
12-09-2005, 02:10 AM
Try a reasonably priced coaxial in the mid locations and do away with the high mount tweeter entirely.

Quality companies do extensive research and development to achieve the best possible tonal and off axis response from the worst possible mounting locations for their coaxles.
Most component sets are designed for all out best tonal response with the idea that the consumer will provide the best possible mounting and installing of the set.

This is how a guy running some cheap JVC coaxes can sound better then another guy with a 1000 dollar component with a crappy installation.

If you have the time money and resources to build perfectly sized and aimed enclosures then a component set is the best way to go.
If you don't have the resources for this, a good set of coaxials can Make the best of a bad situation.

My 2cents